68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Not a whole lot to report on today.  Got the engine off the subframe and tinkered around with a few things.  Ordered the rear wheel arches since I will be replacing those too.  Bought a couple bags of sand to do some sand blasting.  Now back to my day job for awhile...

batman1usa

Good to see you finally swept up a little. 16.gif

94touring

I get tired of rolling around in piles of rust and sweep the floor when motivated enough.  ;D

94touring

Well its cold and I'm lazy today, so all I really did was test fit a wheel well and snap a pic. 

94touring

Tinkered a bit today but nothing major.  Still waitin for the rear support braces for the wheel wells before I do much of anything else. 

94touring

And wouldn't you know the support/stiffeners arrived as I'm walking out the door for the airport.  Back Monday to try this again...

joltfreak

lol!!! that is always the way it works for me too!!!!
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Ok got a little bit done.  Can't seem to find my air chisel so I couldn't really start on the other side.

94touring

Spent a large portion of the day welding things up front that I had skipped before.  Air chisel showed up and I got the other wheel well out of the way, sand blasted, rusted holes patched, and ready to fit the new panels. 

MiniGene

Before you know it you'll be prepping for paint.  What are your plans for the engine?

94touring

Yeah not far from the prep work.  Saving for the bed floor and then the metal work is done. 

The engine will have high compression 20 over pistons, fast road cam, 1.5 rollers, head work...bigger valves, port job.  Light flywheel and either dual carbs or John is looking into fabbing up some wicked throttle body with fuel injection that sounds interesting.  A few other go fast goodies I probably didn't list. 

batman1usa

Where's the shop at in Tulsa?  Behind Hayman's house?

94touring

Yep behind the house...far enough away you can make lots of noise and not bother his wife  ;D

Sitting around today at my lady friends house in Philly looking up engine components.  Lots of goodies to buy, and lots of money needed to buy them!  Keeping my fingers crossed my tax return is good enough to buy the stuff I want. 

94touring

The engine was pulled apart a week or so ago. 

macmanron

OUCH !!!!! This close to me and No phone call?????? Man!!!!!!!   
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

MiniGene

Quote from: macmanron on January 31, 2012, 09:28:02 PM
OUCH !!!!! This close to me and No phone call?????? Man!!!!!!!

I'm sure his "lady friend" has been keeping him busy.  Sometimes it's hard to come up for some air when you got a good thing going on. LOL

94touring

:D. Yes sorry, got preoccupied.  If it helps I was literally locked in her place for the day.  Went to take out the trash out and realized she locked me in.   She has old doors that lock on both sides and I was without a key.  She's really trying to hang on to me I guess lol. 

MiniGene

Quote from: 94touring on February 01, 2012, 06:18:41 AM
  :D. Yes sorry, got preoccupied.  If it helps I was literally locked in her place for the day.  Went to take out the trash out and realized she locked me in.   She has old doors that lock on both sides and I was without a key.  She's really trying to hang on to me I guess lol.

Uh oh, Dan.  This could be a sign.   LOL

94touring

Continuing on with the bed.  Finished off the left wheel well and sand blasted the subframe cross member panel.  Cut and air chiseled the remaining pieces of old bed out.  More cleanup and prep scheduled for the bed tomorrow. 

94touring

Put the metal brake to use today in order to fabricate the box that goes between the wheel well and rear subby attach panel, and also the cross member subby panel needed each end fixed up.  Tinkered with the cab rear bulk head, and may start fixing that up next go around.  Was gona start stripping paint on the exterior and throw a coat of primer on but it was rainy today so will wait for a dryer day.  Picked up a gallon of sealer primer though during lunch.  Back in two weeks to finish cleaning the body up...

MiniGene

Getting close!  I'm excited to see some paint on this!

94touring

Getting there alright.  Need to order the bed panels still, end of this month looks like.  Whoever put in the basterdized bed double layered for me, so its going to take a lot of effort to clean up the rear cab bulk head on the bed side.  Lots of big welds to take care of.  I need to see if the bed panel goes to the inside of the cab and attaches directly to that lipped piece that is in the one photo.  If not, I will fab up something nice for the inside and the bed will adjoin nicely on the outside.  Even though the bed has been a ton of work, I'm definetly feeling good that I decided to fork out the extra cash to do it right. 

94touring

Ordered the bed today.  Spent the day grinding welds along the floor in preperation for primer.  Its fairly time consuming.  I suspect the next several work days on it will involve grinding. 

94touring

Have a couple photos to share.  Last photo posted of the front right floor pan area had a large hole where I was fabricating it back together.  Here it is done.  Will need to tidy up the other side at some point.  Also fabricated the brace that goes behind the drivers seat and attaches from the floor to the bed. 

The bottom part had to be made, the top part will be reused.

94touring

Back at it today.  Spend several hours grinding the overlapping welds along the cab rear bulkhead panel shown here to prep for the bed installation, whenever I get the bed.  Cut the remaining rotten parts out and will have to do a little fab work once the bed gets in to fix it up right.  Aside from that I'm hoping to primer the rest of the floor tomorrow.