U2

Started by MiniDave, September 11, 2017, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

My brother flies biz jets for a living and told me he's dropping into town tomorrow night for a short layover from 5 to midnight....he usually flies bank executives and I thought it odd that they'd be coming here mid week for a biz meeting at night. Turns out he's flying U2  for their concert series this summer, they're coming in from Chicago tomorrow......

So far they've done Detroit, NY, Minneapois Chicago and Indy, they do KC tonight then New Orleans and on.....

So not only did he fly one of the richest Texans extant, several years with Lance Armstrong and now U2! Fun stuff in between flying bankers around.....   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Well, for him anyway....   ;D

He's going to the concert in New Orleans, backstage passes and the whole works. U2 was never one of my favs although there has been some of their stuff I liked over the years. This tour is sort of a greatest hits tour, they'll mostly be doing stuff from the Joshua Tree album, the first thing they did that really put them on the map - I think.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I guess it's not as  glamorous as it sounded......

He said they've been working 12's the whole trip, and that he's had to do his share of working the pit (baggage compartment) unloading 100lb bags on his knees and so on.

It is an interesting glimpse into their lifestyle tho - he says the band members themselves are actually pretty nice to him, but each member has their own "handler", and there is one guy who handles the handlers! Then there's the rest of the entourage - friends, family and hangers-on, all total about 45 people are riding the plane to each venue.

3 guys rotating duties flying and 4 cabin attendants who he said are working their butts off every day - they've worked 12 straight days so far, with 3 more to go.

It sounds like it can be a logistical nightmare if something goes wrong.....there are also two road crews who leapfrog to the different venues setting up the stage and sound equipment.

When he's not flying bankers and rock stars around, he flies the local hockey team (Stars?) to their games and home again. What a life, eh?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Partly why I've never had too much interest in charter/corporate flying.  I can stick behind the door for 4 days and go home. And primarily a bossless job. 

MiniDave

He's had easier gigs, for three years he worked on a month off a month for one guy, and he might not fly him even once during that time.  He also flew Lance Armstrong around the world, and that was an easy gig too. But I see your point....he says next time he'll let someone else have the "glory" of driving the rock starts around!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad