Paypal forign exchange rates

Started by tsumini, January 08, 2016, 12:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

Ordering parts from the UK for the first time. Having difficult time trying to find USD to Brit pound exchange fee using Paypal. Rate is about 1.48 but guessing on the fee. Anybody experience?

94touring

Was unaware there was a fee  8.gif

tsumini

Probably buried in the exchange rate calculation. There is a reference of 0-2% fee for buying foreign stuff.
You buy lotsa stuff from UK. Do you see separate fee?

94touring

I always just pay via debit card and don't recall any fees.  Occasionally I'll see a separate amount for adjustments in rates. 

tsumini

Ok just tried it and  Paypal added about 0.5 Percent  so not bad. Paypal wants 2.9% for Credit card.
Businesses may be different from personal. Thanks for your input.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: tsumini on January 08, 2016, 01:45:46 PM
Ok just tried it and  Paypal added about 0.5 Percent  so not bad. Paypal wants 2.9% for Credit card.

I usually just buy direct with my credit card, rather than via paypal.

MtyMous

Still better than going through my bank. I switched banks because they started charging me a 3% international transaction fee.

tsumini

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on January 08, 2016, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: tsumini on January 08, 2016, 01:45:46 PM

I usually just buy direct with my credit card, rather than via paypal.
Seller wouldn't accept CC; wanted Bank transfer (3% plus $45) or PayPal.
PP charges 2.9% to use CC.
I used PP to draft from bank and deliver to PP with half percent fee for Intl exchange to British pound.

tsumini

Quote from: MtyMous on January 08, 2016, 02:02:06 PM
Still better than going through my bank. I switched banks because they started charging me a 3% international transaction fee.
Yeah banks tend to soak you. I lived in Australia for about two years and left a bank account open there after I came back so in country transactions from the states was easy with no fees. If I did a lot of UK business I would be inclined to open an account there and use something like usforex.com to transfer funds

MtyMous

I've started using a PayPal balance for recent purchases.  Bought $3k in parts from a UK source recently and saved over $80 in transaction and exchange  fees