Precision Tools Recommendation

Started by stodgy, January 02, 2013, 01:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stodgy

Hi-

Eventually, I will tackle an engine rebuild myself but until then, I still need to check measurements here and there. I want something of quality but can't justify spending a great deal.
Can anyone recommend a brand for precision tools that won't break the bank? Dial Indicator, Micrometer, etc?
Or is breaking the bank a prerequisite to get quality product?

I found that Jegs prices seem reasonable but I don't have any experience with them. Other vendors seem to offer a wide range of price points.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
-db

94touring

Welcome to the forum.  Wish I was more of an engine guru to give some advice here, but maybe someone else has some thoughts. 

biketesting

I equip my lab with the cheapest tools I can find. Why? It has to do with the tools always getting broken anyway. Also I have all the measurement standards to calibrate them. Oddly enough I find that the 12$ caliper and the 500$ caliper have about the same accuracy. It's the user that needs training.

If you need to check bearing clearances use "plastic gauge". For rings it's a feeler gauge. Bores can be measured using a cheap bore gauge. Not sure how deep you want to go?

Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)

joltfreak

When it comes to motor work, I have a buddy of who owns a engine machine/building shop. It it just not worth the cost to buy the tools since he has them all...
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

stodgy

Thank you for the replies!

Unfortunately, the buddy I had who was a private mechanic for a collector and drove a super clean Bertone designed Innocenti Mini (admittedly odd, yes) as well as an Abarth, etc moved out of state but I do like the idea of having a laboratory for the car :)

-db