SOMEONE NEEDS TO CALL ME

Started by Jims5543, July 18, 2019, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Email I received yesterday.  No time now, full story later.  Who sends an email like this?  BTW- the only changes are the name removed and phone number format is identical to what came in my email.  It reads like a social media post.

A quick FYI - if my crew was rude to you, I am willing to bet you cam at them like a raging asshole, with 110 heat index, you can count on getting it right back.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO CALL ME

You have an employee that is very unprofessional. He was rude, disrespectful, inconsiderate & talked down to not only me, but my mother as well. He jumped our fence & bent it as well & had dug two holes in our backyard by the time I seen him. I asked him what he was doing & that he can't jump our fence & dig holes in our yard. He said he was looking for the property line for the house behind ours, which is located @ Tiffany Ave, because they're putting a pool in & said that he was allowed to go onto anyone's property he wanted to. So I, as well as my mother, informed him that he was not. I told him our property line was two feet past our fence & there was no need to come into our backyard & Im sure there's a law against it. He said there's not & I said I would be calling to find out & he said, good luck with that. ⬅⬅⬅Bet!! I called City Hall & the police & both informed me that yes, it's "ILLEGAL" to jump a fence & dig holes in someone's yard, regardless of who it is.My mother said the same & told him that he should've come to knock on our door to let us know what he needed to do & he said he doesn't have time for all that. My mother then told him where our property line was & we have the papers to prove it. Then he said that most people don't know where their property line is & my mother said....I DO. He threw the two clunps of grass over the two holes he dug & said there, its fixed. I went to my neighbor Tony's house (the one putting a pool in) to get the name of the company (yours) those men worked for. Tony wasn't home, but his mother was & she informed me that the man who jumped my fence told her not to tell Tony that he jumped the fence behind their house, that it was all fixed. No, it wasn't fixed or over at all. That is EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL & INEXCUSABLE!!! I want the man's name who jumped our fence & dug 2 holes in our backyard. You can reach me. I will be submitting your company's name & number to our police report.

And another FYI -

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/810.12

810.12 Unauthorized entry on land; prima facie evidence of trespass.—

(5) However, this section shall not apply to any official or employee of the state or a county, municipality, or other governmental agency now authorized by law to enter upon lands or to registered engineers and surveyors and mappers authorized to enter lands pursuant to ss. 471.027 and 472.029. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the trimming or cutting of trees or timber by municipal or private public utilities, or their employees, contractors, or subcontractors, when such trimming is required for the establishment or maintenance of the service furnished by any such utility.

471.027 Engineers authorized to enter lands of third parties under certain conditions.—Engineers are hereby granted permission and authority to go on, over, and upon the lands of others when necessary to make engineering surveys and, in so doing, to carry with them their agents and employees necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right hereby granted shall not constitute trespass, and engineers and their duly authorized agents or employees so entering shall not be liable to arrest or a civil action by reason of such entry; however, nothing in this section shall be construed as giving authority to said licensees, agents, or employees to destroy, injure, damage, or move anything on lands of another without the written permission of the landowner.
History.—ss. 17, 42, ch. 79-243; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 14, 15, ch. 89-30; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 27, ch. 2002-299.

(1) IN GENERAL.—Surveyors and mappers or their subordinates may go on, over, and upon the lands of others when necessary to make surveys and maps or locate or set monuments, and, in so doing, may carry with them their agents and employees necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right granted by this subsection does not constitute trespass, and surveyors and mappers and their duly authorized agents or employees so entering are not liable to arrest or to a civil action by reason of such entry; however, this subsection does not give authority to registrants, subordinates, agents, or employees to destroy, injure, damage, or move any physical improvements on lands of another without the written permission of the landowner.
(2) LIABILITY AND DUTY OF CARE ON AGRICULTURAL LAND.—
(a) Any person regulated by this chapter who enters agricultural land shall do so in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to premises security, agricultural protections, and other health and safety requirements in place on such land.
(b) A landowner is not liable to any third party for civil or criminal acts or damages that result from the negligent or intentional conduct of any person regulated by this chapter on agricultural land.
(c) If written notice is not delivered to the landowner or landowner's registered agent at least 3 business days prior to entry on an agricultural parcel containing more than 160 acres, the duty of care owed by the landowner to those regulated by this chapter is that due an undiscovered trespasser.
(d) This subsection applies only to land classified as agricultural pursuant to s. 193.461.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

So, did you find out if he did it?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Did what? 

I talked to my crew, a "woman"* in her 30's came lumbering out of the house and started immediately screaming at Nick, my new guy, because he hopped a 4' chain link fence in the back of her property and was looking for the neighbor behinds property corner. Nick apologized and she told him he was trespassing and she was getting her mother.

Then another woman came out that looked like a meth head and told him he had to knock on her door before he goes in her yard and he was trespassing. He told her he was a land surveyor looking for a property corner and he was sorry.

They would not let it go.... They kept screamin at poor Nick to the point that Mike came around to see WTF was going on. Mike knows the law, they start screaming at Mike, not a good move.  Mike tells them Nick is well within his rights to be in the yard and there is a Statute on the books that gives him that right.  They scream BS!!

The "Daughter"*  then leaves, knocks on the door of the house we are working for and starts yelling at them while the mom is yelling at my crew.  It was a real trailer park moment.

The guys told them to call the police while they finish working, the police never arrive, they finish up and leave.

Then I get that email which confirms what I already knew, they people in that house are assholes.

* We are not really sure WTF that thing was, according to the crew, it was over 6' tall and close to 400 lbs, they "think" it was a woman, it kind of sounded like one, we refer to it as the snorlax.
The "mother" was 5' tall and about 80 lbs.

I started to reply to that email, then stopped, then decided to ignore it. I am willing to bet it is posted on a social media platform as well.

99.9% of the time the people we meet every day (we do around 1300 surveys a year) are super cool. In some cases the resulting pleasant conversation results in us marking the persons property corners for them for free because they were really nice. I have made friend with people after shooting the breeze with them after they asked what we were up to.

Some people are a little off, they have this territory thing going on in their heads, much like a dog, someone crosses that line and they lose their minds. The last time this happened was about 3 years ago, some lady did not like me looking for her front property corner.

Wait!! I had it happen about 2 weeks ago but it was funny. I have to collect the elevation of existing homes around the site where a new home is going to be built.  I walk up the driveway and stop about 5' from the garage door, put the GPS on my foot and take an elevation there, we checked this out and it works pretty close to about 1" of being what the garage elevation is. We add another 6" to that to get to the finished floor elevation of the house, again verified through many years of observations.

I walked up one drive,  started taking my GPS reading, I need to be still for about 5 - 10 seconds, then I can record the reading an move on.

This guy bounded out of his house at the 8 second point.  Yelled at me in the driveway, Hey!! You need to knock on my door!! I hit the record button and said, if I did that I would have to be in your yard longer than 10 seconds and walked away. He stood there dumbfounded.

If he came out and said, hey whats going on?  Or even opened the door and said can I help you? Or something civil, I would explain the world to them. Come out yelling like an asshole, I am getting away from you fast.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Yep, probably the best course of action....I also agree with ignoring the email, If I had to make a guess there's a reason the popo didn't come - they've been there too many times before!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Once in a blue moon in my surveying days I'd have a snorlax type come out raising holy hell.  One of the rudest and vile encounters ever was a little old lady you'd expect to be a sweet grandma type.  Her soul was full of cancer though.

MiniDave

snorlax, learned a new term today!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

what are they so worried about? Surveyors used to come on my parent's property often in the late 80's surveying for a bypass road to hwy108 they were working many miles away but the property location had the excellent views of the proposed bypass road. My Dad was always kind Mom made them ice tea and I got to play with the transit and learn how it worked actually looked forward to them showing up as a kid they had cool equipment.

One dude took the time to show me how to calculate the height of the power pole by the distance we were away from it and the angle we were shooting the top of it at with two sides of the triangle you can figure out the third the height. Second nature to me now but at the time so cool I wanted to be a surveyor when I grew up. 

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on July 18, 2019, 09:23:51 PM
what are they so worried about? Surveyors used to come on my parent's property often in the late 80's surveying for a bypass road to hwy108 they were working many miles away but the property location had the excellent views of the proposed bypass road. My Dad was always kind Mom made them ice tea and I got to play with the transit and learn how it worked actually looked forward to them showing up as a kid they had cool equipment.

One dude took the time to show me how to calculate the height of the power pole by the distance we were away from it and the angle we were shooting the top of it at with two sides of the triangle you can figure out the third the height. Second nature to me now but at the time so cool I wanted to be a surveyor when I grew up.

Cool story!  Thank god you didn't become one, I hate this business.

I had to do the power pole thing maybe 5 or 6 years ago and did it as you described, my brain nearly exploded as I had not used that part of the muscle in a long time.

Then a couple of years ago I had to do it again, except this time I had a prismless instrument, I shot a point at the bottom of the power pole exactly 1' from the ground then shot a point at the tippy top storing both points.

I pulled up the points I stored in my collector and wrote down the elevations of both then added a foot.  ;D

FWIW - no another word from the snorlax, so either this is the quiet before the storm or she moved on to another thing.

I

jeff10049

probably moved on maybe just grumpy from not getting 888 pounds of food that day :D

According to wiki that can be an issue.
"Snorlaxes love to sleep and love to eat: these portly Pokémon get grumpy if they don't get 888 pounds of food per day. After snacking out, they always nap. They have cast-iron stomachs and can eat moldy and even rotten food with no digestion problems. They are the heaviest Pokémon on record, weighing in at over 1,000 pounds. HAL Laboratory (December 2, 2001). Super Smash Bros. Melee. Gamecube. Nintendo."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snorlax

Jims5543

Yes we are almost a week out not another word from the Snorlax, as I said either it is spamming up my company in reviews online or it moved on, I imagine its food needs outweigh most anything else it needs so survive.

SoCalMiniFan

I hate to be grammar police but this here: "had dug two holes in our backyard by the time I seen him." would have pretty much cancelled out any sort of proper response I might have given to this snorlax. 

On forums I'm a bit more relaxed, it's a casual setting but if I'm writing and e-mail that I want to be taken seriously I'd at least take a moment and use some proper english.

On a surveyor hopping fence note:  We had a survey done and our neighbors got all snooty with us and got their OWN survey so when their Survey guy hopped our fence, we weren't mad at him (he told us who he was when asked) we were mad at the neighbors for not giving us a heads up, we notified them that our Survey guys would need to possibly be on their property.  We have a dog and while he's REALLY friendly and not aggressive we also haven't put him in the position of strangers hopping fences, add to the fact our neighbors don't like him and think he's aggressive (they witnessed him chase a squirrel that they deemed to "be in an aggressive manor"), they sent the poor survey guy OVER our fence into our apparently aggressive dogs territory!

"If it's not fun, why do it?"