Welp...I Fu@ed up!

Started by Merlin, January 31, 2017, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Some of you may know that took a break from the mini to freshen some skills and to build a 72 c10 truck. I swapped in a LS motor from a 2000 suburban that I bought off of a website called copart. I recommend that you DONT FUCKING GO AND LOOK because you will be project shopping like mad. it is a disease! I bought the suburban complete for less than I would have spent on the engine from CL or a wreckers and was able to sell stuff off of the car to make my money back.

Fast forward to last friday. Buddy at work and British car enthusiast mentioned to me that he had an XJ Jag with a dead v12 and the conversation migrated to LS swap. The conversation ended with me suggesting that I would go watch the auction that day and see what the current pricing on donor vehicles would be.

I get home and am eating lunch in front of my laptop on the kitchen counter watching the local auction go. I flag a few trucks that look good and go about my business as the auction rolls on.

Few moments later, my cat is eating my lunch standing on my laptop. Cat decided to place a bid.This mutherfucker is the proud owner of a 1990 toyota corolla. I knew pussy was expensive, but this takes the rump riding. Fortunately, the put a reserve on it at a ridiculous $1928, so I assume they will cancel my win and re auction it. The counter at $375, I tell them to fuck off...They agree to my original bid of $90.  :-[

I hate Corollas. Fucking hate them.

So now I own a $201.00 corolla. Why $201? Well, I got fee'd to death.
https://www.copart.com/lot/45410216

I go to the auction place to pay for my wining and determine what I need to do next. Conversation goes like this.

Me "I don't want this, I didn't bid on it consciously."
Them "tough shit"
Me "Can I pay a cancelation fee and leave it here?"
Them "Yes, that will be $400"
Me "Fuck that, how long to I have to pay for it"
Them "Tomorrow at noon, then its $50 a day late fee"

So... What now?
I don't mean that philosophically, I simply mean, what do I do with this hunk of shit?

My first plan was to yank the engine, sell the car to the scrap yard and try to get my money back on the engine. Net $0

Second plan was to take it to the locak junk yard. They offered me $85 for it. Net $-116

Third plan was to make a mid engine go kart Net $-650

Fourth was to gut it and turn it into a ZFG car, then scrap it Net -$150

Fifth plan was 24 hours LeMons Net -$1800 Gain $1,000,000FUN

What do yall think?
Engineering the Impossible

John Gervais

"What do yall think?"

31.gif

No offense meant, but that's one funny story!  I'd park it, place an sign on it for $400 and sell it to the first person that looked at it.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Lol that's hilarious.  Have been meaning to text to see where you're at with the truck.

MiniDave

Did you get it painted for him?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

No.  He took it home to do body work to bring it back for painting.

MiniDave

If it runs and drives I'd put it on Craigslist - you might make a little cash on it.....

So you have a local Copart Auction?

I'd rather see you work on your Mini than a POS Corolla....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

I would rather be working on that mini as well. I still have an obligation to get this car as I use their services regularly.

BruceK

Hmm.  Cat bought the Corolla.  What to do with it?   

Use the Corolla as a cat prison?

:)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

Great story = I too look at Copart for all the things.. Try bidding a few times but the buying power required is annoying . Your cat must be special!

What to do, I agree it is a  horrible car.  but  Post it on the Lemons Boards for your cost... hopefully towing or pickup wont cost you too much to actually bring that beauty home.

MiniDave

How do you watch the in process auctions? I haven't found that button - I am a Copart member too as I've been looking there for my Ecoboost car to build my hot rod Mini.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Current total is at $276 to get it towed to my work. I stuck some fuel in it, but the battery is dead. My car is in the shop, so no jumping it for the time being. Im at a point where I think Ill pull the motor if it runs and scrap the rest, or scrap it whole if it doesn't run.

MiniDave

Never mind, I found the button....watching the Springfield one right now - these auctions happen fast!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 01, 2017, 01:18:21 PM
Never mind, I found the button....watching the Springfield one right now - these auctions happen fast!

I guess you'll need cat-like reflexes! 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Merlin

Quote from: MiniDave on February 01, 2017, 01:18:21 PM

Yea watching that bid roll along with no other bidders was the second most awkward 15 seconds of my life.

Merlin

Well the car Runs, Drive, Does slides, Doesn't Smell.

Who is down for some 24 hours of LeMons? I am actively thinking about doing this!

MPlayle

From the auction pictures the radiator header tank looks cracked.

MiniDave

Quote from: Merlin on February 01, 2017, 02:55:59 PM

Who is down for some 24 hours of LeMons? I am actively thinking about doing this!

Ready to spend a couple thousand for safety equipment, driving suits, helmets etc?

I'm up for a drive.....which track?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

There are places you can rent the driver safety stuff.

MPlayle

For some reason, I don't think they rent roll cages.   ::)

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on February 01, 2017, 01:52:22 PM
I guess you'll need cat-like reflexes!

This made me snort laugh.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Quote from: Merlin on February 01, 2017, 02:55:59 PM

My son Mikes first car was an aborted 24 hours of lemons car. Car was picked up for $500 then we started calculating all the safety gear.

We quickly abandoned the idea as no one was willing to dole out over 2K in gear for a POS race car.

Then the 1990 BMW 325i was put up for sale for $600, I told my then 15 year old son about it, he had $800 saved up from working part time, squirreling away gift money etc.. he purchased it and it would be his first of 3 E30's he owned.  It was called the Dingy because it floated down the road.

If you were closer I would be all over a 24 of Lemons with you. Find 3 or 4 people willing to put in 1/3 or 1/4 of the expense then maybe it will be doable.

The events are supposed to be a blast, the money spent will be well worth it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Merlin

The way I look at it, I paid $90 for the car. Roll cage is free since I have a tube bender, notcher, skills... The rest of the shit like helmets and fire suits is up to the individual drivers. Split some safety cost and entrance fee. I bet it would be a fucking hoot. Anyone that wants to participate, come on down. We can make it a forum meetup.

I have no idea what race to do, but i know that my April-July will be out as I got a kid on the way.

MPlayle

Talk to Mike Spangler (Spank on the Mini Mania message board) as he does a LOT of the LeMons racing.

MiniDave

Up here we run Chump Car events, same idea only not 24 hour races - they're more like 8 hr races. I know a few people involved in those, in fact I've been invited to drive more than once - a race weekend would have cost me $700. That covers the car, borrowed drivers equipment, tires and maintenance on both the race car and tow vehicle, gasoline etc. Motel and food were still up to me.....

Oh, and congrats on the new team member!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: Merlin on January 31, 2017, 06:08:26 PM
I hate Corollas. F*#king hate them.

Suggestion for team / car name right here.