mexico blue mini

Started by 94touring, December 09, 2012, 08:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Started skinning doors and did lots of prep on the body today.  Primer, filler, and lots of sanding.  Door skins and backside painted up.

Subframe fitted to check clearances.

With that said, Nick does this look right?

Things seem to line up just right here.

94touring

When skinning doors or any kind of lip that needs folded over, use something like a paint stirrer to keep from denting the front side.  FYI:  not my welds lol. 

Spent quit a bit of time mounting the door and adjusting the shims to get the fitment so it won't rub anywhere.  One door to go and a little more body prep.  Almost there...

94touring

Heres an example of why old scrap panels can come in handy.  Needed to fix a spot that was rotten and wanted to use the cuvature of the lip. 

Nicholasupton

With that said, Nick does this look right?

Yep that is how the frame sits, Minitec want you to remove the lower valence and weld it on the front edge of the bumper lip the clear the subframe. But I have yet to do that on any of my builds. 

94touring

Did the other door today.  Decided to skin the bottom rather than disect the whole thing.

Rather than using the entire bottom door frame repair panel I used a section up to the curve on the bottom.  Much easier to keep it clean looking this way, also easier to welding on the curve.  As a tip:  Weld on the backside when you can, the welds are hidden and easier to clean up on the side that shows. 

For knock off panels, and using part of the bottom of the skin, its a dead match.  Happy with the outcome. 

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Building suspension and of course paint.  About done color sanding for the final buff.

90 percent all new back here.

94touring

Color sanding and buffing day.

94touring

Started reassembling things.  Pretty much done once we get new bearings for the front swivel hubs and the shock mounts sent to me.  Gone flying for 3 weeks....

joltfreak

check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Mudhen

MiniGene

Great job!!  I love that color.  Is the customer going to put the rest of it together?

94touring

Yeah pretty much.  I have a couple small odds and ends to toss on.

wevebeenhad

Looks great, on to the PICKUP!!!

94touring

My poor pickup keeps getting pushed back.  I have twitchels car to do for a potential buyer (sounds like I sold it already), Johns applejack mini and maybe a car from OKC.  Anyone want to work on cars for extra cash?  I might start hiring lol. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on April 01, 2013, 04:39:40 PM
My poor pickup keeps getting pushed back.  I have twitchels car to do for a potential buyer (sounds like I sold it already), Johns applejack mini and maybe a car from OKC.  Anyone want to work on cars for extra cash?  I might start hiring lol.

If I lived closer I'd pay YOU to let me help you...that's how confident I am with my skill set.  ::)

94touring

Now that's an idea, get paid by the help!  Restorationmini-university?

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on April 01, 2013, 04:51:13 PM
Now that's an idea, get paid by the help!  Restorationmini-university?

4.gif

If I take my webcam and flat screen TV out to the garage could it be done online? 8.gif

94touring

Most of it probably.  I have thought about setting up a webcam in the shop.

MtyMous

I think you should probably count on that car from OKC sometime. haha. It's probably gonna happen.

94touring

94touring

MiniGene

Looks great!  Hopefully we'll see pics when it's on the road.

What is that car behind the cop car?  ...And, why is there a cop car there? LOL

94touring

I believe thats an old Datson shell sitting back there.  There's a cop car here because a cop lives on the property with the shop.  Makes for great security!