Oil Leaks and Seals

Started by tmsmini, December 05, 2023, 09:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

I finally got around to pulling the engine to take care of the oil leaks. I was trying to sort out some injection issues, but that is a separate issue.

I thought the flywheel and clutch would be covered in oil, but I do not see much inside the housing. I see some below the seal, so I will replace it anyway, but I am not sue where the oil was coming from. This is an MPi block so the oil pressure relief valve and the oil temp sensor are possible sources, but both are dry. The front seal or timing cover is leaking for sure.

The end of this older thread has some pictures:
https://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

MiniDave

I don't know if I'd replace that flywheel seal, looks completely dry to me......the black around the edge of the housing is probably just clutch disc dust. Depends on how many miles it's done, I guess.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I keep going back and forth and have been staring at it for two days. I just can't figure where the oil on that side was coming from if not there.

MiniDave

I always go back and forth on whether to change a seal that's not leaking.....afraid I'll make it leak where it didn't before.

Was it coming out of the hole in the bottom of the clutch cover, the one with the cotter pin in it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

It appeared like it was and as I saw no other suspect I assumed that was it. First mistake, but I am glad I pulled the engine anyway as I found other things that need attention.

MiniDave

Could it be leaking out of where the drop gears cover bolts to the engine, and running down to that spot? Any trail on the back side of the drop gears cover (I've had them do that)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

No that area was dry as well. I am cleaning it up now as I still have a day or two before parts arrive. I have other things to attend to as it looks like clutch slave was leaking or the brake light switch, paint bubbles on the subframe.

Willie_B

I had to replace a brake light switch that was leaking from where the wires come out.

MiniDave

I had to think about that for a minute, as my brake light switch is on the pedals!  :grin:

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Yup, those oldies with hydraulic switches...
I guess I have a few more days to figure out what to do as the packages are hung up in Memphis with FedEx customs clearance.
Starting cleaning the engine bay.

MPlayle

I would recommend trying to check on why it is stuck at Memphis.  When I have had shipments get stuck in Fed Ex Customs in Memphis, it is because they want more information about the contents of the shipment.  If anything on the manifest has the word "kit" then they want a detailed list of every part within the "kit".  They sometimes send an email to both the shipper and the recipient, but not always.  Usually I have been the one to have to supply the detailed list and then follow up to ensure they got it and are processing the shipment.  Otherwise your shipment may sit for many days to weeks.

tmsmini

Yes, I called , but they were not much help. Told me it was to be delivered yesterday. App actually said it was on the delivery truck, then ended back at the processing center last night.
A weekend quarantine, but I will call again.
I hope it warms up enough so I can paint the subframe in the meantime.

tmsmini

The shipment was from Somerford and it was in two packages. Now one is in LA and the other San Jose. Crazy...

MiniDave

That's why I try and never use FedEx for shipments from England.....I always ask for DHL. I know sometimes there's no choice, but I always ask anyway.....I tried to set up a business acct with DHL but I didn't meet all the criteria.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Yes, the old Somerford website let you choose shipping and they would get back to you with an overseas quote. Now overseas shipping is builtin to the website. The old way would add a day as they prepared an actual shipping quote, but they always responded in a timely manner.

Now one package is still in LA and the other is in San Jose, no movement yesterday. I suspect it has something to do with the packages being separated, but two phone calls have not broken anything loose.

94touring

I just waited an abnormally long time between packages coming from Brazil at the same time in one order.  One got hung up in customs.  It's frustrating.

tmsmini

Success maybe

FedEx: 2 packages are out for delivery today 12/15 before 8:00P.  fedex.com/t/774333971627/en_US Reply HELP for help. STOP to cancel.