A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Saw a rocket tonight flying over the north Atlantic approaching the east coast.  Apparently it was spaceX sending a secret military plane to space.

BruceK

That is so cool!  If you squint, it kinda looks like the old Star Trek logo.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

A little bit!  At first when it was in the distance I thought it was a comet.

94touring

Ok...had some attachments issues with the server that has kept me up all night. Looks like I figured it out.  What I was trying to post about 6 hours ago was some old beer cans I found in the wall of my one condo I'm remodeling. I did some research and the can is from 1969. That makes sense since the building was finished in 1970.

BruceK

Good to know your condo was built by guys who relaxed during their work.   :grin: There was a time later in the 1970s when Coors cans didn't have a pull tab - they had two buttons on the top you pushed in.  One button was to drink/pour through, and the second button was to let air in the can so the beer flowed smoothly.  I don't think this lasted long before they went back to the old style pull tabs.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

That's cool, never knew about that style of can.

MiniDave

Bruce is an absolute repository of arcane info!   :grin:

All I know is that you couldn't get Coors in Kansas, so anytime anyone went to Colorado they brought back as many cases of it as they could carry in their car and sold it for big bux to their buddies and neighbors.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Quote from: MiniDave on January 05, 2024, 09:14:27 AMBruce is an absolute repository of arcane info!   :grin:

All I know is that you couldn't get Coors in Kansas, so anytime anyone went to Colorado they brought back as many cases of it as they could carry in their car and sold it for big bux to their buddies and neighbors.

Sounds like they could have used a Trans Am and a semi truck :grin:

BruceK

At a small C&C show this cold morning. Decided to take my truck instead of the Mini. Poor choice. Heater not working for some reason. Anyway here's some of the vehicles here.

I like this show - it's in a small town, and there is typically a huge variety of vehicles.  The Jag with the V8 is a very early XJ.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Clean looks Gia, although I dislike those aftermarket rims.  Wheel choices for Vw's isn't the greatest unfortunately.

BruceK

Some more
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on January 07, 2024, 08:07:36 AMClean looks Gia, although I dislike those aftermarket rims.  Wheel choices for Vw's isn't the greatest unfortunately.

I agree. I think they are a take on Fuchs wheels from a Porsche. Stock wheels would look much better IMO.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Love the wacky variety here. A Lamborghini parked next to a Volvo wagon next to a Fiero.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Wow, terrific variety! So much more interesting than when the S2K or BMW clubs decide to swoop in and take up the whole lot....

Can't get over just how huge the newer 911's have gotten.

I think that's a series III XJ6 (with the Chevy motor) makes me wonder why no one has put a Jag V-8 in one of those, or in an XJS - seems there should be plenty of them around by now in the scrap yards and they make way more HP than even the Jag V-12 did without mods.

all the cars are so clean down there too!

Land Rover was well represented - new Defender - haven't seen one of those even in the online forums I read, yet there's one on the ground already!

BTW, does anyone read The Autopian?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2024, 09:16:34 AMWow, terrific variety! So much more interesting than when the S2K or BMW clubs decide to swoop in and take up the whole lot....

I think that's a series III XJ6 (with the Chevy motor) makes me wonder why no one has put a Jag V-8 in one of those, or in an XJS - seems there should be plenty of them around by now in the scrap yards and they make way more HP than even the Jag V-12 did without mods.

Land Rover was well represented - new Defender - haven't seen one of those even in the online forums I read, yet there's one on the ground already!

Re: clean vehicles.  Living here where rust simply does not exist and with no road salt to cake onto cars makes that possible!  :grin:   Honestly, if anyone in the rustbelt is searching in vain to find low rust car locally, they real owe it to themselves to look to the south and west parts of this country, travel there,  and just get a completely rustfree car.  My brother visited me last summer to search for a rust-free 4Runner and drove back home to Missouri a happy guy after finding a great one.

Kinda surprised you haven't seen a new Land Rover Defender yet. I've been seeing them on the road for a couple of years now.  Not sure why anyone would buy one, unless they wanted something to rival a new BMW for some sort of a most unreliable prize.  To me, they seem way too modern and car-like and genteel compared to their utilitarian predecessor. Can't imagine anyone taking something costing $70,000+ off-road - more likely they are used to go to the shopping mall or yoga class parking next to a G-class.

Never heard of Autopian. I'll have to take a look.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2024, 09:16:34 AMI think that's a series III XJ6

Hmmmm. I thought it was a Series I with the little bumpers and early grille.  Like '68 to '73?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

You might be right, I couldn't see the grill but that's how I usually spot the early vs the late cars.

The Autopian is made up of mostly former writers from Jalopnik, which used to be the irreverent version of car sites - staffed mostly with juvenile sounding guys who were happy cause the got to use swearwords in their writing (IMHO, of course) The Autopian seemed to take the better of their writers, people who did actual real informative stuff. One of their main guys Jason Torchinsky just suffered an aortic split which almost killed him, hence the articles from his hospital bed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Ah. I don't read Jalopnik any more, but I do remember Jason.  I sent him an idea for an article once (detailed instructions that came with my rental car in the UK about how to drive an automatic (!) transmission which is apparently needed for some UK drivers who only learned on manuals.  My rental car was a manual but I thought the whole idea was kinda crazy - from an US perspective - and I shared it with Jason who wrote on Japlopnik about it.)

And Jason and I both share the same disease - fascination with taillight design.  :13:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check the Autopian out.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: BruceK on January 07, 2024, 10:07:33 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2024, 09:16:34 AMWow, terrific variety! So much more interesting than when the S2K or BMW clubs decide to swoop in and take up the whole lot....

Re: clean vehicles.  Living here where rust simply does not exist and with no road salt to cake onto cars makes that possible!  :grin:   Honestly, if anyone in the rustbelt is searching in vain to find low rust car locally, they real owe it to themselves to look to the south and west parts of this country, travel there,  and just get a completely rustfree car.  My brother visited me last summer to search for a rust-free 4Runner and drove back home to Missouri a happy guy after finding a great one.

Kinda surprised you haven't seen a new Land Rover Defender yet. I've been seeing them on the road for a couple of years now.  Not sure why anyone would buy one, unless they wanted something to rival a new BMW for some sort of a most unreliable prize.  To me, they seem way too modern and car-like and genteel compared to their utilitarian predecessor. Can't imagine anyone taking something costing $70,000+ off-road - more likely they are used to go to the shopping mall or yoga class parking next to a G-class.

Never heard of Autopian. I'll have to take a look.

I am really surprised you have not seen a new Defender as well.  I have seen quite a few round here, even saw a Defender 130 in the wild a several weeks ago.

Bruce - is this the Wimberley C&C?

MPlayle

Craig,

Yes, that was the Wimberley C&C (I recognize the buildings in the background).

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MPlayle on January 08, 2024, 01:37:54 PMCraig,

Yes, that was the Wimberley C&C (I recognize the buildings in the background).

One day I will get to that C&C!

MPlayle

Craig,

It is always the first Sunday of the month.  They also have a small "farmer's market" going on as well.

BruceK

And there's a little independent coffee house at one corner of the Wimberly C&C.  I'm not a coffee drinker but I understand it's good stuff there.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

skmini

Red Riley

Quote from: BruceK on January 05, 2024, 08:14:20 AMGood to know your condo was built by guys who relaxed during their work.   :grin: There was a time later in the 1970s when Coors cans didn't have a pull tab - they had two buttons on the top you pushed in.  One button was to drink/pour through, and the second button was to let air in the can so the beer flowed smoothly.  I don't think this lasted long before they went back to the old style pull tabs.
I remember there was a special opener made for these type of cans that kept you from getting your thumb stuck in the hole. I wonder if anyone still has one of those in their kitchen junk drawer.