Mini-less

Started by Willie_B, May 15, 2013, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

I am taking my mini up to Steve at Cooper Tune to have the engine and trans rebuilt. He will have it from May 18 till Oct 8. It's just too hot here over the summer to truly enjoy driving. Also I am in the process of building a new house so this will get it gone for awhile so I don't get side-tracked. I will be flat towing it up.

I have my warning sign on the back and ready to go.

94touring

Ha thats funny.  I like how large the sticker is.   ;D

jedduh01

Goodluck with the trip  Thats quite a tow to Norfolk / Tidewater Va.

Any ideas for what the new engine spec will be? Just a refresh or custom work?

Stay on point with the project, Expect to see yourself and car together at CMU in October!

Willie_B

Nothing fancy on the rebuild. Just a well put togeather engine and trans. A small bump up with the cam and a FD change from 3.4 to 3.2. Steve does great work so I know I can flog on this unit for the next bunch of years without worry. The unit in there now was a $300 junkyard take-out from the UK that I did nothing to 7 years ago when I dropped it in. It is the MG Metro unit so it will be a good starting point for this. All done in time to break it in at the CMU event in Oct.

Mudhen

Quote from: Willie_B on May 15, 2013, 07:28:08 PM
I am taking my mini up to Steve at Cooper Tune to have the engine and trans rebuilt. He will have it from May 18 till Oct 8. It's just too hot here over the summer to truly enjoy driving. Also I am in the process of building a new house so this will get it gone for awhile so I don't get side-tracked. I will be flat towing it up.

I have my warning sign on the back and ready to go.

4.gif

Good luck with the tow!

Willie_B

Just over 1100 miles round trip without problems. Other than rain for most of the return trip. And a tired back-side. Saturday was non-stop from Charlotte NC up to Hampton VA then back to Atlanta.

Not as epic as some of Dans trips in the past.

Mudhen

Good to hear it went well!

Having never heard of Steve at Cooper Tune before I was just looking through his website.   4.gif

I have a love/hate thing going with professionals.  Looking through some of his write ups it's clear I'm not qualified to touch my car at all...of course, can't afford to just farm it all out.   50.gif

Hopefully I won Powerball last night!

94touring

You mean you didn't rip the front end off flat towing?   ;D

Willie_B

Front end still attached. No drama. Pulled fine even at 75mph.

Willie_B

Got moved into the house we have been building last week. No where near done but enough to move in. Will probably be moving STUFF for the next month. Miss my mini but still have lots to do here.

94touring

Hey congrats, looks nice.  Does the garage have extra area where it connects to the house?

jedduh01

Great looking place - 2 Car garage door should be plenty of room..

Any updates on your car from Coopertune? CMU 2 Months away!

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on August 05, 2013, 06:19:51 AM
Hey congrats, looks nice.  Does the garage have extra area where it connects to the house?

There is a laundry room in the hall that connects the house to the garage. I do have a full basement with a 6' double door opening. plenty of room to store and maybe work on minis. The Moke will live down there at the moment.

Steve should be starting on the mini either last week or this week. Just had to wait its turn.

Mudhen

Love the details - the dormers, porch, etc.  Really cool design.   4.gif

Congrats!