testing out a new shop heater

Started by 94touring, December 22, 2015, 10:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

While I do have the option for gas at the shop I've been trying to avoid hooking it up due to cost and a minimum  $18 fee per month if I use it or not.  So got myself a 60k btu propane heater.  Supposedly last 11 hours on the low setting.  Ideally I'd heat the place up to where it's comfortable then turn it off.  Or heat it up enough for painting.  Tomorrow will be giving it a try. 

Jims5543

That looks like a trick little setup, is it more efficient that one of those kerosene types that look just like it? I imagine it burns real clean.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MPlayle

Definitely less messy than the kerosene variety.

Years ago, a friend of mine had a couple of the kerosene ones for heating the dog kennel he ran.  Refilling the tanks often got a bit messy pouring from a 5 gallon fuel can into the heater tanks.

94touring

I looked into kerosene heaters but the kerosene is more expensive than propane, and not as clean.  Plus the big ones you see only put out 20k btu's or so.   

MiniDave

Don't those produce a lot of moisture? And C02?

Is your option for natural gas or propane? If NG, $18/mo is only $220 a year.....your weekend bar tab is more than that! :)

Worth it to stay warm and dry.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

I was previously using a Single burner Propane heater  like your unit -- While it worked, knock the chill off.  Always remember Fuel and Flammable fume safety with these units.!!!  :-\

Gasoline Fumes sink low  and these will very easily ignite those fumes =  Treat with care!  (I know a  guy lost his house because of Kerosene + replacing a fuel sending unit in his basement at the same time) Blew the house up!

I recently got into my garage a Split Ductless AC/Heatpump system... Whew it cost a bit- but EASY and VERY VERY Worth it.  Near Silent operation!

Much like this - but different brand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ductless-Air-Conditioner-15-SEER-12000-BTU-Mini-Split-AC-Heat-Pump-1-TON-NW-/321954298367?hash=item4af5f8b9ff:g:sYQAAOSwFnFWE9SD

I also took steps- and insulated my attic much better, While the east coast hasnt been COLD yet. Insulation holds temp. Last weekend  26 for 2 nights in a row =  had the Garage temp around 50' .   Turn on Heat pumper.  within an hour - its about 63-65'  Plenty warm in the garage.  My unit technically may be a bit undersize- but it also takes the chill off easily!  Garage journal site talks highly of Mini Splits Heat and AC Systems for space.
  They also come pre charged with Freon - Hook it up = Vacc it down to make sure its sealed up -= Crack the valves- Turn it on!

my garage - 18 x 24 W 10Ft ceilings

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 23, 2015, 09:49:43 AM
Don't those produce a lot of moisture? And C02?

Is your option for natural gas or propane? If NG, $18/mo is only $220 a year.....your weekend bar tab is more than that! :)

Worth it to stay warm and dry.

That's  $220 to not even use it!   Then months gas bills. 

94touring

Verdict is in, it heats up my shop.  It's fairly warm today, 57ish.  Ran it for 15-20 minutes and I hit 70 in here. 

94touring

55 outside and kept it 78 inside on the low setting running it in 10-15 minute burst every so often.  This is ideal for keeping temps up while painting.  Obviously not running it while I'm spraying.  I had it on the far corner of the shop facing me while I prepared the paint gun.  It was rather toasty being in its path, even over 40 feet away.  I'd say that corner was over 80.  No noticeable fumes and it's definitely clean.  If it puts out moisture I certainly can't tell. 

MtyMous

I've got one very similar to that. Variable from 30k btu to 80k btu. It does put off CO2 and some moisture, but not much. The garage is VERY toasty way before it's a concern. I definitely wouldn't leave it running unattended though just like any open flame heater.

The biggest benefit over the kerosene heaters of the same design is that there is no soot. Our old kerosene heater put out 40k btu and an equal amount of soot which is not good for a garage or anywhere you want to keep things clean.

stan360

I just got one of these propane heaters last week also.  30k-80 like mty mous ... I have a small garage space to heat and it will about sweat me out of it in 30 minutes.   Now I think I need a cut carpet remnant to lay on  and work instead of that concrete.  At least I can work out there now. After living in Florida for a bit everything under 60 is freezing my ass off.

MiniDave

One of the best things I did for my shop was to add a heater-A/C, it takes about 30 min to get it plenty warm enough to work in shirt sleeves in the winter, and in the summer it's a godsend to knock down both the humidity and heat.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I put a propane 60,000 btu hanging unit heater in my home shop and got a 275 gal tank no natural gas near the house or I would get it. it's only three dollars a month here to not use it still sucks to pay for nothing though all summer.

I have four meters at the business and they charge me four delivery charges WTF its one business in one building.  The electric company combined my bill and only charges one but not the gas company they say I have to pay them to put in one big meter something like 2,600.00 whats the damn differance? ok rant over.

Anyway its nice having heat out there just click on the thermostat and its warm fast my heater is over sized but I like that because I don't heat it all the time so it heats it up fast and I just set the stat for a wider range so it don't over cycle once warm. I should of put in the tubing for floor heat when doing the slab really stupid that I didn't.
No real need for A/C here only a month a year that's real hot.

I want one of those heaters you got Dan I'm watching cragislist for a deal on one seems like I could of used one a bunch of times to get cold equipment started or working outside I could point it at the job. Nice to know the fumes are not bad I worked around a kerosen one once it was awful.

Jeff

94touring

$99 at home depot.  Lowes has the same size for $109.  I had a 15% discount as well so it was hard not to buy. 

jeff10049

Crap for 99 I'll just get a new one I thought they were like 300.

Jeff

94touring

I think the 75k-125k btu ones are about $200.  The 60k is good for 1300sq ft.  I've got right at 1300sq ft and it's definitely up to the task.  Helps my place is fully insulated I'm sure. 

Edit:  yeah $200 for the bigger unit. 

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Pro-60-000-BTU-Forced-Air-Propane-Portable-Heater-RMC-FA60DGP/202223041

MtyMous

94touring

It was 32 when I got home tonight.  Inside the shop the thermometer read 45.  On high it appears to raise temperatures 1 degree per minute on average in an insulated 1200sq ft area.  Once it's warm it's easy to maintain on low. 

Mudhen

That's the setup I use for my 28x32 garage with 11' ceiling.  Heats it up from 30 to 45 in 10 minutes or so - never tried turning the temp down on it, just shut it off until my fingers get cold again.  I might give that a whirl!

The only time I regret using it is when the wife wants to use the grill...  :-\

I also have a Modine on a separate zone on my house furnace.  Now that oil is coming down in price I might actually start using it!

I guess they're a big no-no for insurance, though.  Not that my acetylene torch in my attached garage would be looked at too highly either, I'm sure...

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2015, 01:14:49 AM
It was 32 when I got home tonight.  Inside the shop the thermometer read 45.  On high it appears to raise temperatures 1 degree per minute on average in an insulated 1200sq ft area.  Once it's warm it's easy to maintain on low.

How warm do you need it to paint?

How are you handling dust mitigation? Do you wet the floor before you paint? Hang wet towels to attract floating dust?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

At least 70 is ideal.  You can get away with lower but it starts messing with flash times and runs become easier.  As far as dust goes, wetting the floors is never bad idea, but what I've found works best is just making sure the fans aren't blowing directly towards the car.  Offset fans directing fumes outside/filtered is what I do.  You always get minor dust nubs but they easily sand out in the color sanding phase.