Parts cleaning

Started by Mudhen, March 10, 2012, 04:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Hi guys,

Wondering what methods you all use for cleaning parts?  Not so much degreasing (plan on getting a real parts washer so I can stop using the oil change pan I've used for the last 30 years  50.gif ) - but all the little [and not so little] pieces that weren't necessarily painted at the factory and are now all rusty, brown, and gross looking.

Blasting cabinet?  Ultrasonic cleaner?  Clean it up and paint it using some sort of colored paint such as all the fake gold, silver stuff from Eastwood?  Or take it in the pants and buy new?

Specifically stuff like aluminum, that would have been nice and shiny originally...or things like the brake booster or unique nuts and bolts in the engine bay, etc...

Thanks,

Pat

94touring

I have a blast cabinet for small parts.  Otherwise wire wheel.  Now that I have space to really make a mess I can do bigger objects with a sandblaster outside.  Then you can decide if you want to powder coat, paint over, clear over, ect...  If its easier and cost effective buying new bolts and such is a good idea too. 

Mudhen

I think I might look for a blast cabinet.  Seems like the way to go.

For big stuff I have the dual tank blaster from Eastwood..but haven't had good luck with getting it to work consistently.  Tried all the different tips, throttling the sand back, air back, sand up, air up, etc, etc, etc...even changed out all my air lines to bigger ones.  My only guess is that my compressor can't put out the volume of air needed.  Hate to spend the kind of money necessary to get a bigger one, though.

Anyone else use the Eastwood blaster?

94touring

How big is your compressor?  I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the one I use.  Very simple and works great.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 10, 2012, 11:51:12 AM
How big is your compressor?  I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the one I use.  Very simple and works great.

Twin cylinder, 60gal tank.  Bought used...not sure how many CFM it puts out - my guess is around 10 or maybe even less.

94touring

60 gallon is good sized so long  as the cfm keeps it charged.    I meant to say search for the sandblast DIY setup I made when painting a plane.  Its in the lounge somewhere.  Real easy, same style as I use now but with sand.

macmanron

make sure you have a good water filter/moisture trap to keep the moisture out of your cabinet.
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Finally home and found a pic for you.  This setup is easy and will get the job done on small stuff.   The sandblaster I've been using on my truck is essentially the same thing, but has a container on wheels that holds about 100lbs of sand.  The hose is piped into the bottom of the container so the sand always feeds to it.  Wear a mask, its messy ;)

Mudhen

That's awesome!

And the pic reminds me I need to buy a DA...add it to the list...

94touring

I'm sure harbor freight or the like sells the blasters for a good price.  That DA takes up a lot of air! 

Mudhen

Went down to the local Harbor Freight store this weekend and got a blast cabinet and parts washer.  As a 'buy first, research second' kinda guy, I'm really hoping they aren't crap.  Guess I'll find out.

Glad I didn't see that post about the spot welder before I went.  My wife has had about enough.  11.gif

94touring

Kicking myself for not buying a spot welder, as much spot welding as I have done. 

Mudhen

Do you just use a MIG?  220 without pilot holes or 110?  Haven't done any yet so just repeating what I've heard/read...

94touring

A mig from the great Harbor Freight.  Its a 110.  Drill holes and weld them closed is what I've always done. 

Nicholasupton

Just be aware that the HF spotwelder is not to be used for structural items, or any stress areas. It does not have a high enough KVA rating to be of much good other than window frames/fenders. If you use a 220 3phase unit you can assemble a car without pulling out the mig.

Willie_B

Boy. From parts cleaning to spot welders. This is a Full Service web site. ;D

Love the info sharing. It helps us all get to a better place.              minis on the road..........

94touring

Sure is!  I want my hands on whatever spot welder Nick uses though.  I have a lot of drilling/welding to do this week on the truck bed. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 26, 2012, 07:47:53 PM
Sure is!  I want my hands on whatever spot welder Nick uses though.  I have a lot of drilling/welding to do this week on the truck bed.

x2.  Can we get a picture of that thing, Nick?  Must be big to reach all the way in there...

Nicholasupton

I don't currently have a picture of it, but think halfway between industrial and body shop. The great part about mine it that if the tongs don't reach backside of batter boxes/ center of cross member, you can single side spotweld using a ground electrode.

As for parts cleaning I use a pressure washer to de-grease, then drop things off at the blaster. I have gotten tired of standing in front of a blasting cabinet all the time.