The latest update fun

Started by 94touring, December 21, 2011, 12:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Well things have been running so smooth for so long, I guess I was due for some headaches.  So basically a few things happened for those of you who are interested.  It was time to go through and get the forum and software updated.  During that process the portal software hit a snag and crashed an update.  Shouldn't be a big deal since I backuped the forum prior.  After going into the host to reinstall the forum and run the backup file I saw that the available forum for installation was the 2.0 series, as apposed to the 1.0 we previously used and was offered to me.  Ok cool...so installed the latested and greatest and ran the backup file.  The backup file was corrupt, lovely!  Again not a huge deal cause I've had to fix corrupt backup files before too, so started working on that while running an older backup file to see how the new forum would take it.  Well it did and it didn't.  Got a funky error that some of you probably saw, which took time to research to see how to get around that.  Figured that out and ran into another error, figured that out too.  Meanwhile I thought I had the backup file fixed.  Nope.  By now I spent a couple days of scewing around with this and frustrated with the backup file and time to go back to work, called the host and said give me a good backup file from the 15th.  $150 later (ouch!)  They produced a backup file that worked.  That took another day, but better than the week they quoted me it could take.  Ran that file and it was a month. off...great, back to the host to get a file for December and not November.  Another day later. and many flights to Boston later I got the new file and even sucessfully setup the forum from scratch from my Android, which in itself was very involving given the manual install that was required, and kind of impressive to me that my phone has that capability. 

With that said, hopefully you guys like the new look.  I have a few things yet to add on, but hopefully we see a small increase in performance after sorting all this out. 

Willie_B

From the quick look I like it. Just goes to show though that no good deed goes un-punished. 11.gif

94touring

Yeah I'm looking forward to what else it has to offer.  Be on the lookout for spam, I haven't setup spam protection yet.  Just deleted two of them.  Didn't take you long to log on either!

94touring

Well did some more screwing around today.  Doesn't look like the arcade is gona work but maybe if I keep trying... 50.gif 

94touring

I do like this "back to the top" arrow on the lower right. 

94touring

71.gif  Got it!  Damn that took me the past two days of research and code editing to figure out this arcade!! 

Next on the agenda is to get off shared hosting and onto a dedicated server.  My renewal is up in March, so will make the switch then.  Shared hosting is what is causing spurts of extreme slowness.  The only down side is the dedicated server cost more.  Better than waiting for pages to load, its driving me crazy. 

MiniGene

Glad you got it back up! Looks good.

94touring

Quote from: MiniGene on December 23, 2011, 04:52:55 PM
Glad you got it back up! Looks good.

4.gif  Thanks, now help recruit people over here!

MPlayle

The navigation is a little different, but nice.  Still easy to figure out.  I like the look/theme.

Not sure I would want to update the MOT site just yet.  We're still getting folks used to using it over there.

50.gif

94touring

Hey, yeah as you were posting I just figured out how to edit the code for the links on the menu bar.  Its a different method in the editing for smf 2.x series to the 1.x.  Feel like I have a handle on what I'm doing now. 

94touring

I may or may not have the dual attempts at logging in fixed.  Trying the only solution I could find to fix it.  I see the errors in the logs all the time and fall victim to it as well occasionally.  More of an annoyance than anything.

94touring

Found a few more bugs, if anyone else has any issues please let me know.  Do most people these days run screen resolution at 1360x768?  I noticed depending on how old the computer is it affects how the home pages lines up, due to resolution settings. 

Willie_B

I am running 1680X1050 and have not noticed anything unusual.

94touring

Ok cool.  Yeah the trick to help avoid double login attempts goofed up the mass upload in the media gallery....so nevermind on that fix.   58.gif

batman1usa

I received emails about updates so I thought if I could remember my password I would stop by and  :-\ around.  Looks good to me  4.gif

No I still don't have a mini.  Yes i want one. 

I do have a motor and trans and all the parts if anyone needs a 998 to rebuild.  It ran when I took it all apart, just a broken ring.  Car is gone, hayman came and took it away and haven't heard anything about it since.   :-X  I think it's parts are strung from here to there and everywhere.  Some may be in Dan's truck?

That's all
bye

94touring

I'm looking at your old shell right now.  At some point I'll probably do something to it.

batman1usa

Where is your shop in Tulsa?  I'll just drop this motor off you might use some of the parts.  I'm sure the carb, alt, etc should be good.

Maybe some day I'll end up with the green machine once again....???? 71.gif

94touring

As in donate the motor?  Its at Johns place just north in Collinsville. 

batman1usa

94touring

Oh cool, ok I will have to schedule a time to come down and grab it then.   71.gif

batman1usa

Just shoot me his address and I'll drop it off.  I will be over that way soon and I'll just bring it with me.  No one wants to buy it so you can have it.   4.gif  Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, whatever....   22.gif  maybe you can fly me across the globe someday   8.gif

94touring

Oh wow man.  Ok I'll get the info and we will coordinate from there.  Thanks!

94touring

Did you ever sell the wheels?

MPlayle

Since the "For Sale" thread for the engine was posted before I got my classic Mini, I completely forgot about it until seeing this reference for it.  I had started to consider making an offer for the alternator and mounting bracket, but Dan will likely need those in going back together with the original shell.

My bad for not keeping better track of things.   50.gif

94touring

Ah, yeah John and I will be using everything we can to get it back on the road.  Body needs tons of work like the pickup did.