85 tahiti blue (flur continued)

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 07:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davisio

Awesome!

It's snowing here this morning.  11.gif

94touring

Well she's buffed up nicely.  As soon as we get deans car the rest of the way finished I'll be doing the headliner and putting in the glass.   Have the carpet down and need to cut some slits for where the floor rail things beside the back of the front seats are.  Have a rear sub frame ready to transfer all the new goodies over to also.

Davisio

The garage door opener is ready and the [only] key chain [that I will ever use on a "classic" car] is found!

94touring

I have more pics that willgo up in a few days or so. 

Twichel04

I'd like my car back now please.....  11.gif

94touring

Mudhen

Davisio

94touring

Ok where to begin.  I've been working on minis like a madman.   20.gif  (see dooders car)  So anyways I started putting this thing back together.  Started off pretty good, then the rear sub frame had a few extra items that needed replacing/broke, so its on the backburner while we wait for a couple parts.  The pedal assemble had a bunch of nasty and broken studs, so I drilled out and replaced those.  Since we did a LHD conversion the assemble needed to be tweaked and fabfricated.  My research told me that I needed to move the clutch pedal over 30mm and the brake 15mm, while completely redoing the throttle pedal.  LHD pedals have been out of stock for awhile.  I've never spent so much time rebuilding a pedal assembly before, but it clears the heater assemble and the steering column, while allowed room for feet to work the pedals.  Speaking of heater assembles, the matrix on this one was filled with mud.  Couldn't even blow air through it.   Eventually I got it unclogged and put back together.  Glass in, fillet strips in, trim, chrome, carpet, seats, did the headliner kit, cleaned up the old visors.  I reupholstered the upper and lower dash pads and fit the new dash.  Still need to put in the light over the B pillar and vents, but that will come when I get to the harness and tighten the dash up.  I had some old/new in a box rally lights, however the bar that came with it was the biggest pain in my ass I've ever experienced.  Apparently I was missing some parts to it.  Going to fab up something a little different than what I have on there now that's less bulky and shinier, but for illustration purposes this one will suffice.  Tomorrow I will work on the front sub frame, then its back to job numereo one. 

And here comes the pics... 

94touring

94touring

Heres a few issues with the rear subby.

Gona use a newer subby and plenty of new parts ready to go on it already.

Did I mention we're putting in a lift?

94touring

Today was work on the front subframe.  I needed to get the cones out to put in the hi-los so made a compressor tool to get things apart.  $3 later I saved buying an $85 tool from online.  Cleaned up the one spare subby I had and got it in the car.  Installed the cones, new mounts, and got new brake lines on it too.   Started in on cleaning the engine up and getting it ready to put in.  Need to replace a few items on it and I've added a few more to the list of things to buy overall.   

Twichel04

Looks fantastic... and now I know why the heat didn't work, lol.

Davisio, I was just curious as to why you wanted it LHD?

94touring

Quote from: Twichel04 on November 01, 2013, 06:34:39 PM
Looks fantastic... and now I know why the heat didn't work, lol.

I kind of thought maybe you never used the heat down there in Florida.  It was amazingly packed with dirt.  Should be interesting when I pull the water pump and investigate further. 

Twichel04

I had one cold day during the time that I was daily driving it. But it was small enough that my body heat warmed up the interior, haha. I am very interested to see the water pump too.

Davisio

Quote from: Twichel04 on November 01, 2013, 06:34:39 PM

I am making it to the spec that I saw at the Brussels motor show in 1992. It was LHD.
Also, its a preference and I want to be able to allow my wife to drive it if necessary. [not that she'd ever be "allowed" to drive it]

94touring

Davisio

Ya... well.... how often does "allow" and "let" ever enter in to a conversation when the wife "insists"? At least, this way, the option is there.  11.gif

MiniGene

That mini is looking great! I love the picture of the workshop with Minis in various stages everywhere. Having a lift is going to be awesome.  I used to love using the lifts at the auto hobby shop at the base I was stationed at in NC.  Let us see a pic when you get it installed.

94touring

John shop owner has been sick, but he should have it up soon.   We have some wood working projects going on in there this month then can clear things back out again.   Never a dull moment, keep thinking one of these reality TV shows should pick us up.

Davisio

94touring

I'm in Montreal and it's freezing.    47.gif

94touring

Update for the day.  Have the rear subby about completed, need to source a couple random bolts for the rubber brake lines and the knackered up pins for the brake cables swivel gadgety things.  New cones on, hi los, got the new knuckle joints I was needing, new brake assemblies on, re pinned the swivel hubs, new bearings, fuel filter, metal lines, bushings, ect...  The engine is off the old front subframe and ready for a cleaning and new paint.  The suspension is ready to be rebuilt and freshened up with new bushings, bearings and so on.  Sadly though the thermostat housing broke to pieces getting it off, so get to order one of those.  Two of the three bolts busted on it, and two of the manifold studs are still lodged in the head that busted, which is tomorrows task as well.  I will say one thing about this car, it has had an abnormal amount of bolts bust!  The water pump is off and all and all wasn't as bad as it could have been given the matrix I pulled off.  OH and the new steering wheel showed up too, its sweet looking.  Fingers crossed I get some wheels on this thing tomorrow and get it off the dolly.  Dependent on how well the front suspension rebuilding goes.