how would I know if my master cylinder is bad on clutch??

Started by Dmulder, September 29, 2015, 05:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

I went to shift today and I couldn't.  checked fluid level - a little low but not bad.  had someone push clutch (felt like no resistence) while I watched to see if there was any movement and there is none.  Is my master cylinder bad?
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Dmulder

my next question is should I consider rebuilding it or replacing it?  I believe all the operating parts are in good order except for the seals.  This was so much fun this morning as I was stuck on the side of the road going to work at 3:30 am trying to check the clutch myself. :(

94touring

Could also be your slave cylinder.  Might start there and work back to the master.  Also from my experience buying new master/slave was better than rebuilding existing.  After having a few still not seal with a rebuild kit, time wasted, money spent, I always just buy new. 

Dmulder

thank you for the helpful advice.   4.gif  Going to purchase new master and slave cylinder today.
Every time I park the car for more than a day (the weekend) something like this happens.  Lesson learned the hard way  50.gif - drive it every day.

94touring

If you're doing both order the rubber clutch line from the master to slave.  Do it all at once and be good for years to come.  Check your clevis pin for wear as well.  77.gif

MiniDave

I agree with Dan, I rebuilt my slave only to have it fail less than a year later while on a weekend event, fortunately Dooder had a new one in his boot and since installing it it's been perfect - buy new.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

I will do that.  You guys have been a huge help to a new mini owner (since June 30 of this year).  I too have transplanted from MM because of what was taking place.  I much prefer it here.  The fecis being thrown all over the place over there got in the way of good things happening.