Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

stan360

Tore down the seats this weekend .  Done with the old brown interior, I don't think it will look good with the bracken paint and it smells pretty stale , so maybe onto dove grey/grey  or black and tan....not sure yet.  Driver seat had some surface rust on the front edge from years of sweat and spilled drinks i supppose. Not to bad though.   They were worn through the paint on the contact to floor areas , handles and attachment points, so I will send them out for media blast and powder coat.   Found a 10 pence coin tucked in one.  So I  tore down the whole car and the only treasure were one coin and 3 dried up baby mice . :(

94touring

Are you reusing the foam?  If not I'll take it.

Some areas to repair today.

94touring

These Apanels I ordered are slightly thicker steel and I definitely lke the extra strength when I'm clamping the lips together.

stan360

Quote from: 94touring on June 14, 2016, 10:43:00 AM
Are you reusing the foam?  If not I'll take it.

I am not going to reuse the foam...you can sure have them....the seat base cloths were spray glued to the bases a bit in the centers , so there is some rough spots from separation.  Also the thin base wrap around foams are not great....the seat backs however are pretty nice.

94touring

Decided to tear into this closing panel and glad I did.  Fabbed up a new section and sealed off and even put a nice coat of grease on the inside

94touring

Body metal work is done.  Have doors and a bonnet to repair yet.

94touring

94touring

Sprayed a test panel but it looks bright when I take photos.  The paint lid and can photo is most accurate.  Are you planning to head down to exchange parts and grab this or shall I mail it to you?

stan360

I can bring the parts down....let me email you tonight or call you tonight or tomorrow and figure out a good day.

94touring

Got some color on the bottom with this single stage.  Going to give it a once over with base/clear before moving on to the body. 

MiniDave

Coming along now......what color will the top be?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

This is what a $50 paint spill looks like. 

roadhouse

stan360

Quote from: roadhouse on June 27, 2016, 03:43:53 PM
Color looks good!

Yeah, I am diggin' it, but Dan's spilling the paint, so one of the fenders or doors may have to be another color....yellow or red or something.  ;D

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

stan360

stan360

just working on more smalls here today....had the pedal box powder coated and hammered that thing back together today. I was going to do some stainless pedals and I just opted for the standard rubber pads instead. Nothing exciting there.  Also cleaned up one of the nice silver and blue bonnet badges ( don't like the leyland wheel thing ) ....I got one of the originals on ebay uk that was a bit rough and so I  fixed that up ....only on the heals of buying the new offering online and realizing that it had some cheap crappy sticker on it , not once but twice since I got carried away with a few orders and duplicate parts.    No foil logos like the oldies.  But, I  did find some old style sturdy foils so the badges look correct now...., so now I have one for the car, one for a spare , and one I am sticking in the sell section with some other stuff.

John Gervais

Wow!  Those badges look great!
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

94touring

Unfortunately back to my day job tomorrow.

MiniDave

At least you got some "color" on them now!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ready for more block sanding post body filler block sanding.