Now I have two tow dollys

Started by Willie_B, February 15, 2023, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

This came up for sale local. It is all bolt together aluminum, made by Trailex. The company is still in business so parts are available. The hardware is steel so I will be needing some of that. A nice thing about it is the platforms for the tires are adjustable for track width. It is going to need some work as it has lead a hard working life. New wheels and some maintenance like wheel bearings and all new wiring and lights. Total weight is only 315 pounds. Another feature is the ramps can attach to the side of the wheel platform and then you stand it up to store.

94touring

MiniDave

Are the inner guides on the ramps supposed to be bent like that?

How do you drive up onto it?

Any chance the wheel bolt pattern is the same as a Mini, so you could use Mini wheels on it?

I like your Moke trailer the best!!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The side plates for the platforms should not be bent like that. That comes from forcing too narrow a track on them. I will tty to straighten them. If no luck them I will make new ones.
The wheels are 5 bolt so no luck there. But they are 13" so it does sit lower. It has removable ramps to drive up.

ve9aa

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

Willie_B

I just got tow dolly number 3. I have liked the way Michael Playle's tow dolly worked and have been looking. Found this one sorta close by and bought it. The main reason I wanted it is it has surge disc brakes for that bit of extra feel good. Needs cleaning and checking out but has been lightly used. Will replace the straps as the ones that it came with look like you could use them on a full size truck they are so large.

MiniDave

I like the way that one's made, and surge brakes are a good thing.....well better than not having them. I know when someone turned in front of me one time while towing the classic I almost got to meet Jesus.....(he was driving the other car!  :-) )

The only ones I've seen around here look like they're made to haul semis! And they all seem to be $1000.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

That looks to be the galvanized version of mine.

I have actually had two dollies from the same company.  The first had brakes just like Brad's latest, but was powder coated versus galvanized.  My current one is without brakes and is powder coated.

I use the straps that came with it, but attach them in a way that takes up enough of the slack from behind the wheel so that the front of the strap can be properly secured.  The pictures below show that arrangement along with it standing against the wall.  The wheel used in the pictures is a 10" x 6" Mini wheel.