How's the Weather Today?

Started by MiniDave, December 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Very cool.  When I sat reserve as a new captain it was in DC and I am not exaggerating when I say I've been to every museum there more than once.  The hallocaust museum if you haven't been is one of the better ones.  I have even been bowling in the Whitehouse when my cousin was assistant to whoever ran the treasury at the time. Probably got to tour some other places not open to the public. 

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Everyone from the gulf coast north has been experiencing some major wind gusts, it's been mid 70;s and very humid for the last two days and now we're under a tornado warning for the areas just north of me. I have a feeling this is going to be a busy night....we might wind up in the basement for parts of it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Temp has dropped about 25 degrees in the last 30 minutes and a major thunderstorm moved thru with a ton of rain. Now the wind is still blowing hard but it's not raining, lightning or thundering for now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Stay safe and glued to the local TV weather.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

We seem to have hit a quiet period, the wind is still blowing but it's dropped off some....in fact it's downright calm right now....kinda spooky after it blew so hard all day long.

Now, it smells badly of smoke and the whole neighborhood is smoky looking - we thought maybe a house fire but it doesn't smell like that, more like burning leaves or something. The fire dept posted that in response to numerous calls they went out and checked the area and they believe it's smoke pushed our way from the wild fires in western Kansas.

A large number of areas are without power - friends in Topeka lost power about 6 pm and don't expect it to come back on till sometime tomorrow.

The only good news is that it's really not cold out, but will head down into the 40's by morning. If they keep the house closed up they should stay warm OK. However, it's going to trend down all this week and is supposed to get really cold by Sat,(15*) so I hope they all get powered up well before then!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So yesterday we had high wind, 75* temps, rain, t-storms, power outages and so on - today it's clear, calm, sunny..........................and 32*!!!!!

And headed down the rest of the week, and probably the rest of the year. Winter is here.

On another note, I took advantage of the "breezy conditions" to get some small paintwork done in the garage - once everything was coated I opened the garage door and back door to the shop to ventilate the paint fumes out of the house. Worked a treat, she never smelled a thing!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The big storm that dropped 16' of snow on Tahoe has come across the plains now, we've gotten mostly freezing rain and ice, but they're saying we could get about 4" of snow today. Snow over ice is a treacherous condition.

We were supposed to go to Manhattan Ks for a party but decided not to go at the last minute because we would have been driving home in this or potentially stuck for a couple of days.....maybe we can go sometime next week after the storm has blown past. Their temps are in the low single digits, we've at least made it up to 15*, but it' supposed to go to 0 tonight and maybe even colder tomorrow.

The shop hasn't gotten that cold yet - holding at 50* with the heater on - so I'm still able to work, but I doubt I will be able to tomorrow.

We're supposed to be back in the 40's by Tuesday, then roller coaster between 0 and mid 30's the rest of the winter.....I hope I have all my painting done cause I won't be doing any now till it warms up again in March.

I know it's been worse in other places with huge amounts of rain, tornados and who knows what....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Wind hit n. Dallas around 2 and temps plummeted.  By 5 we had dropped from 70s to 30s and with the wind in the 20s.  Not much warmer tomorrow either, pool will be running next 36 hours I'm sure.  Funny thing is water is still at 60.  Probably feels warm compared to air.  Lol. 

We got all our precipitation yesterday when it was still 70. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Michael and I were planning to meet up this morning and take our Minis to a car show to a little town closer to Austin.  But I looked at the weather forecast yesterday (plans were made while it was in the mid-70s) but I saw it was going to be in the upper 20s with high winds.  So we canceled our plans. Sure enough, this morning it was 26° with a strong 25mph wind and wind chills about 15°.    So happy we didn't go.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

We have been lucky so far in Florida, a few cooler days but no need for heat most days are in the 70's sometimes low 80's we just have the fans on with AC occasionally.

MiniDave

So - it's been COLD here in KC - imagine that? Cold in the dead of winter!?!?!?!?   :(

But in what's become the norm it will be in the low to mid 50's by Tuesday, then single digits again by Thursday.....we're riding a temperature roller coaster around here.....

I'm just trying to stay in the shop and keep busy till March or so, when it should break and start the summer climb again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

We got lucky = just rain on Sunday, 4 " or so, today, Monday, nice a sunny, 45 at 9 am, very windy
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

BruceK

We're having some unusual weather here. Last night it was 28° and this afternoon it's a sunny 71°.   Crazy swings in temp this week.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Sunny and a chilly 42* here today - we'll have 50's tomorrow and single digits by Thursday....fun stuff! I hope all the water from the snow that's melting will be off the roads by the time single digits hit or we will have some pretty scary ice patches on our roads.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Little bit of ice and sleet today.  Topped by a very light dusting of snow.  No, the trees are not supposed to be that close to the pool.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

All of 6* when I woke up, but the sun is shining so it's zoomed all the way up to 14 now! It might hit 19* before the day's over..... ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Crazy weather here. Yesterday it was unusually warm - sunny and 83° - and now it has dropped more than 50 degrees in 12 hours and it's 29°, overcast with freezing rain. May even snow a little tonight.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

We've been getting sleet for the past 4 hours.

cstudep

It was nearly 70 here Monday, high today is supposed to be around 15. Sun is out though so it's not terrible........if you stay inside LOL

MiniDave

Sunny and 21 right now, but it's supposed to hit us tonight.....

By next week it will be 70 again!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

In Japan this week.  About 60 degrees.  AND here all of 5 minutes and saw a classic mini go driving by!

MiniDave

I think it hit 70* here today, sure felt like it at least. Tomorrow we might hit 80*......by sat it's supposed to rain but cool off again with a high of only the 40's on Sunday.....

So Ima make hay as they say while I can...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

We were camping at Sebring race way this weekend watching the vintage cars race, it was in the mid high 80's and 60's at night.

MiniDave

Whew! Must be Kansas outside here......

84* yesterday, 41 this morning, and by Monday they're saying 30's and snow!   :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad