Floor Starter Button

Started by MiniDave, April 20, 2020, 12:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Anyone know when they stopped using this? I'm going to look at a local van for sale that they claim is a 67 but I noticed it has the button....I didn't think that was used that late into production?

it's rough and they want too much money for it but I told a friend I would check it out for her. I think it's a mistake for her to buy any classic car at all but "it's so cute and I want one!"
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

One of my books indicates the floor starter button went out with the 1962 model year (change over in September 1961) for the Saloons.  I have been under the impression the Vans made the change at the same time.

tmsmini

My understanding was that 64 was the last year.
Our 64 wagon has it and the 65 does not. It is in one of the books with those years as well. i don't remember which one.

MiniDave

More info.....

I saw the vehicle and it has an Aussie vin plate, and under colour it says Post Office Red, leading me to think it is an Aussie post office delivery van. It does not have Aussie doors or the Aussie scuttle tho.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The car could be made into a nice car, but it needs a LOT of everything....none of the electrics worked, gauges or lights. It has a 1275 Pre A on a rod change with front discs and a booster and it seemed to run good, but it looked like it had a single 1 1/2 carb on it. The rest of the car was....well, it looked like it had been owned at one point by an 18 y/o kid.

Wiper motor was stamped 12/69 and was mounted to an odd bracket, but maybe that's an Aussie feature?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Is it a round-nose Van or square-nose?

I think the Aussie round-nose Van's may have had the regular doors and scuttle.  The Estates (wagons) may have gotten the better doors before the round-nosed Vans.

I know all the pictures I have seen of the later square-nose Aussie Vans had the better doors and different scuttle panel.  Those also tended to have the rear side windows as well (similar to an Estate, but no rear seat).

MPlayle

Quote from: MiniDave on April 20, 2020, 03:59:21 PM
The car could be made into a nice car, but it needs a LOT of everything....none of the electrics worked, gauges or lights. It has a 1275 Pre A on a rod change with front discs and a booster and it seemed to run good, but it looked like it had a single 1 1/2 carb on it. The rest of the car was....well, it looked like it had been owned at one point by an 18 y/o kid.

Wiper motor was stamped 12/69 and was mounted to an odd bracket, but maybe that's an Aussie feature?

Any pictures?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

I agree with your basic assessment: it has potential, but needs a lot of redoing to realize that potential.  I noted their description says it is a 998 engine.  There is also something odd about the relocated battery.

I did have to do a similar battery relocate in a Van I had a few years back - it had a slightly over-sized battery that did not fit under the load floor correctly, partly due to also having a speaker fitted under there with the battery.  I took out the speakers from under the load floor and redid the battery relocation installation.

MiniDave

They still have this van - they've had it for at least three years that I know of - and they still want $10K for it. Other than the uniqueness of it being an Aussie postal van, there is nothing to recommend it.

It pretty much needs "everything". with paint and rust repairs, new wiring harness and I'm sure it needs suspension and brake work too - plus a correct set of wheels and tires and interior work, I can see $15-20K at least of work needed, so even if you got it for free you'd be upside down.

However, it's in better shape than Dan's "Rusty" Clubby, so it could make a good donor for that project - but I think he'd rather just weld up the one he has.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Late to the game, but for reference our 64 Traveller has the floor start and the 65 does not.
The 64 was a Swiss export model and the 65 a UK model.