Jet Motors turbo kit

Started by BruceK, December 10, 2022, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Michael and I were at Cars & Coffee this morning and he brought up the new turbo kit for Mini A-series motors from Jet Motors. I was prepared to be unimpressed with it until he started listing some interesting specifications.

So I've looked into it a little more now and it now seems very interesting (and simple to install).  Incredible gains in power on a totally stock engine. And with only 6lbs of boost!

Here are a couple of videos describing it. The single stumbling block for some cars would be the need to remove the brake booster due to space limitations – but that is not a real dealbreaker.   Why do you guys think? 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I made my first manifold based off their old design. I emailed them earlier in the year about buying the new manifold but was told it wasn't out yet.  At some point I'll probably follow up.  Part of the reason I got the efi kit from DIY mini was to accompany the turbo kit.  The DIY turbo made something pretty impressive like 160hp.  My CB blackbox will be able to handle the timing for the boost.  If I can ever find the damn time!

94touring

MiniDave

That is some serious HP in a Mini, esp one that's very stock Mk1 looking like his is.

Having driven Don's with 135hp, I can't imagine what this must feel like.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have to wonder if the transmission can handle that.  But I guess there's only one way to find out...

MiniDave

He says in the video that the trans was built for this HP (not sure how, as it has helical gears) but that he didn't want to do straight cut drop gears, so he has to be mindful of that weak link.

Seems like with that much HP he could smoke those 10" tires in 3rd gear!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm confused. Any connection between the Jet kit and the Mini DIY car?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Other than they both are turbo kits?

The one Cole built (Classic Minis DIY) benefitted from some really high end stuff (head, forged lower end, custom gearbox, EFI etc) where as the Jet Motors kit is designed for a stock motor. As such it makes about 1/2 of the HP that Cole got with his.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Coles setup should be easier to tune as well.  I just don't want to fiddle with carbs when I make the jump. I might up the turbo size to match what he's got. Although the size down I have it pre set to 13psi and should be plenty for what I was shooting for. Of course once you get used to X amount of power you always want more!

94touring

To elaborate...if you were to make your own kit it's very easy to buy a turbo, buy an efi kit, or convert your carb over with the proper plenum. Buy some piping from turbo to plenum and source oil lines. The hard part is the manifold and the timing situation. You can lock a standard distributor out but you're really limiting the cars performance.  Having something fully tunable is best. Fuel injection like what Cole has you can really fine tune your fuel to perfection, and performance as a result.

MiniDave

Can you run 13 psi without lowering the compression?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Thanks for the explanation.  I believe I heard on one of the Jet videos that they would also have an EFI option in place of a carb. (of course, that could be vaporware – pun intended!)

I do understand the appeal of getting more and more power out of an engine, and the achievement of meeting that challenge. Over 200hp out of an A-series that Cole has done is incredible.

But to me, a simple gain of 20 to 40 hp (and accompanying increase in torque) on a mostly stock engine that Jet is claiming without any real concern about turning the drivetrain into a hand grenade has its own appeal.  Modest gains for modest cost?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on December 11, 2022, 07:59:26 PMCan you run 13 psi without lowering the compression?

It should be lowered.  Well I can't run 10:1 anyway. I was planning on 9:1 max.

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on December 11, 2022, 09:08:15 PMThanks for the explanation.  I believe I heard on one of the Jet videos that they would also have an EFI option in place of a carb. (of course, that could be vaporware – pun intended!)

I do understand the appeal of getting more and more power out of an engine, and the achievement of meeting that challenge. Over 200hp out of an A-series that Cole has done is incredible.

But to me, a simple gain of 20 to 40 hp (and accompanying increase in torque) on a mostly stock engine that Jet is claiming without any real concern about turning the drivetrain into a hand grenade has its own appeal.  Modest gains for modest cost?

Yeah an extra 40 is all I was looking for, which would put me 120 to the wheels.  I would want to go with a taller final drive too in my situation.  I'm guessing the jet motors kit is outrageously priced. I'd still recommend piecing your own kit together.  Aside from that exhaust manifold it really shouldn't be difficult.

cstudep

Seems pretty high at 3 grand (currently on sale for 2700). Like you said the real difficulty is the manifold and possibly the down pipe. The rest is just parts really.

I wonder if they will eventually offer the manifold for sale by itself at a reasonable price. That would make doing the rest yourself pretty straight forward I think.

Doing a turbo has always been a desire of mine, and I am really considering getting one of the classic mini DIY throttle bodies. Had it been out before I managed to source an hif44 I likely would have already bought it.

I need to do a lot more research on the software end of things. Like Dan I need less work and more free time.

Does that CB black box just do timing control or can it do the fuel stuff as well? I have not looked into what is needed to run the injection on the throttle body

94touring

The cb black box is just timing. You lock out a distributor, then wire in the box and go from there.

If they don't sell their latest version of manifold I'll just use my existing headers and modify as necessary to match.  But I have a welder and pipe to do it, not everyone does.

MiniDave

You can buy those side mount exhaust manifolds in England, I've seen them for about $500....all SS.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The pre orders for the jet motors kits are available.  $2700 holiday sale.

I just emailed about manifold only. 

MiniDave

Well, Bruce makes a good point - you could futz around for weeks making your own setup, or just buy this and bolt it on and "presto", Turbo Power Kitt!!!!

One other point, although the car was drivable as soon as the kit was bolted on, it took a rolling road session with someone who knew how to adjust the maps to get the most out of the kit

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

The dyno graph looks suspicious and getting 200 hp from a 1275 with that setup is even more suspicious.

tmsmini

I think this is the person in the UK, but I dont see a side mounted turbo manifold on his site.
https://www.fusionfabs.co.uk/

94touring

Yeah, I looked last week but didn't see one on there either, but that is the guy who makes the manifold Cole was using. May have to email fusionfab to see if they're still making them.

cdnmini

Fussion Fab kit is the one that I am using.
For the side mount, you can can get it from here:
https://www.bagsportfab.com/shop
phil

94touring

Quote from: cdnmini on December 17, 2022, 05:07:34 AMFussion Fab kit is the one that I am using.
For the side mount, you can can get it from here:
https://www.bagsportfab.com/shop
phil

Good find!

94touring

Not a bad price on the genuine garrets, although 0.5 bar is kinda low (6-7 psi).  A quick search found where you can buy them set higher to 1 bar and up.

https://www.turbokits.com/garrett-club-line-gbc20-300-turbo-896053-5003s.html