Crazy News

Started by MiniGene, June 22, 2013, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniGene

Sooooo....I recently learned that the family and I will be living in the UK for the next four years.  We should be over there at the end of this year.  We'll be living around Molesworth.

So many things are up in the air now:

-Do I store my Mini? (probably ridiculous but the entire family and I are emotionally attached to it)
-I KNOW I'll be getting a Mini when I'm over there.  I'll have to make sure it is importable to bring back to the states with me. Hmmm....maybe I should bring back two!
-Are Triumph motorcycles cheaper there than here in the states? LOL

-Gene

94touring

Holy smokes, that's crazy.   If yours is drivable we may be able to work out a deal you can't refuse.

MiniGene

Thanks Dan, but my mini is FAR from drivable.  My hope is to get it rolling before I go. (Funny thing is that was my goal when I found out we were moving from North Carolina to Colorado.)  50.gif

94touring

I went to your thread to refresh my memory, and yep not drivable.   Too bad, there was a free restore involved ;)

MiniGene

Too bad indeed!  LOL

We're pretty excited and nervous. It should be a really cool adventure. I think the most challenging part will be dealing with the weather. Here in Colorado there is 300 days of sunshine a year and it hardly rains...I better start taking vitamin d. The wife is from San Diego and puts up with the winters here because of the sunshine-we'll see how she does.

Mudhen

Wow, sounds exciting!!!  I would love that!

I vote for selling the Mini due to the amount of time you'll be gone and the fact that you'll be IN Mini heaven.  You probably can bring back 2 for what you'd get for yours.

New Triumphs are more expensive over there...better to de-port one with you.  Except we ride on the other side of the road so you'd have to reverse the shift/brake levers.   22.gif

Biggles

300 days a year of sun to 300 days a year of rain OPPS!
Cambridgesire is one of the few areas here I do not have a direct mini contact but know a few of the staffers at mini mag & mini world who can point you towards a club if you need one. always happy to help a fellow mini owner
Now is a good time to be heading here as we have the IMM in Kent in 2014 (only in UK every 5 years) and lots and lots of wonderful minis

MiniGene

Biggles, I'll have to hit you up for that club info once we get over there and settled in. That's super cool about IMM!  That would be an amazing first Mini meet to go to. ;D

MiniGene

Well, a lot has happened since this summer. I did something I've always wanted to do and got my motorcycle license and found a great deal on a 2002 Triumph Bonneville. I'll be having that shipped over to England with our household goods.

And I've decided to hang on to my Mini. (Nobody would want to buy it with my bodgy welding anyway LOL)  My awesome in-laws are letting me store it in Ash Flat, Arkansas while we are overseas. We pulled it there last night. I'll post some pictures soon.  We're spending the week here visiting with them.

We're still on track to leave Colorado by the end of the year.  Still lots to do at work and home before the move.

Mudhen

Congrats on getting your motorcycle license - ride safe, and don't forget to ATGATT!  (All The Gear, All The Time).  I got mine in my 30s and it took over my life for awhile...what a feeling being out on the road, especially going on camping trips and having everything you need packed right there around you - awesome.

Enjoy!!

MiniGene

I finally pulled a couple pictures from my wife's Ipad. 

Here is the Mini tucked away in my father-in-law's garage:

It will have to sit there for 4 years.  Good thing the engine is already seized up!  Big thanks to my in-laws for letting me store it at their place.  I know if I tried to sell it I probably wouldn't have gotten peanuts for it in the condition it is in.  Plus, I get to keep my emotional attachment to it, which is probably unhealthy.

Here's a pic of me and my FIL in front of the "Pig and Whistle's" owner's Mini.  The Pig and Whitle is a British restaurant in downtown Hardy, AR, near my in-law's town.  Pretty good food and the owners are nice.

We have exactly a month before we fly out to England.  We're still excited but are feeling overwhelmed with all of the stuff we have to get done here before we go.  That being said, we do have it pretty easy.  It's nice to have the gub'ment moving most of your stuff. LOL

Mudhen

I've had the government offer to move my stuff before...onto my lawn.  Probably a different offer than you got.

Awesome that you get to keep your car and have a nice space to keep it.  That pic reminds me to never hit a quad... :o

Good luck on the move - don't forget us here - if you make it to any big Mini gatherings post up some pics!

Pat

MiniGene

LOL!  Nope, they are going to ship it further than our lawn, thankfully.

Yes, I am very thankful that I get to hang on to it.  I hope to make some Mini meets while we're out there.  It would be sad if I didn't, huh?  I'll be sure to take and post some pics.

MiniGene

Sitting here at the airport with the family. We'll be in the UK in about 11 hours.  :-\

94touring

Wow man, have a good flight!

MiniGene