Hello from Canada

Started by LilDrunkenSmurf, September 18, 2015, 08:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilDrunkenSmurf

Well hello there. Discovered this, thanks to a post on reddit. Decided to come check it out.

I have a love/hate relationship with my '96 1.3L Cooper S. I love looking at it, I hate driving it, because I can't seem to spend any money on parts for it, and I have no where to work on it. I've had it listed for sale for the last 2 months, but I think I've decided to keep it. I have a few issues to tackle to love driving it again, but it looks like this is a fairly good forum full of classic mini lovers.

Of note, I have a spare set of Recaro's out of an Evo 8 I was tempted to throw in, but I have no idea how to fab up mounts to make em fit. Anyone have any ideas?

94touring

Welcome!  What kind of issues are you having?

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: 94touring on September 18, 2015, 08:33:43 AM
Welcome!  What kind of issues are you having?

Where do I even begin? A few dealbreakers:

It has a cyclical "shaking" around 80kph+, it will shake for 5 seconds, be find for 5 seconds... over and over. Someone suggested replacing my tires, as they're the 15 year old ones from Japan (Dunlop SP Classics in 165/60R12), however I can't source any replacements locally, so it sucks.

It has fender mirrors instead of door mirrors. They look good, but they suck, and the mirrors have stripped out the screws, so they just fall on their mounts. I've removed them, and need to get new replacements. I'd like to swap to door mirrors, but that would involve welding the fender holes, and drilling into the doors (I have union jack plates covering where the door mirrors would mount).

Front end clunk over bumps. I believe this to be the steering rack.

Rear view mirror vibrates to the point of being unusable. I blame the toast suction cup.

The dash rattles and tries to fall out. I need to pull it out of the car, and try to shim it back up.

It's a JDM model, so it has A/C, but the A/C vents rattle like a mofo, can I can't figure out how to remove them, so they're zip tied to eachother right now.

There's some minor clear coat paint, and some small amounts of surface rust, but I feel like with new tires, and the shake gone, I would be much happier with the car. Apparently I have no problem throwing all the money at the rest of my fleet, but just can't seem to convince myself to spend any money on this thing. Also the poor thing lives outside, as I don't have a garage right now.

Just for posterity, here's some pictures I took:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lildrunkensmurf/sets/72157656174927262

IMG_1901.jpg by Jory Irving, on Flickr

IMG_1895.jpg by Jory Irving, on Flickr

94touring

I had a mini that would shake at high speeds and it was as simple as just taking it to get the wheels rebalanced.  Might try that.  If new tires are needed I always just order them online.  My steering rack also suffers the clunk problem, and it's internal and not due to the U bolts being loose.  Ordered a new one today.  They're inexpensive but I'm doubtful I can do it with the subby in place.  Easy as pie with the engine/subframe out of the car.  Hoping I can figure something out to make it less work intensive and as simple as undoing 4 bolts.  Nice looking car in the pictures either way. 

Mudhen

I just did my tie rods/bushings and negative camber arms/bushings - solved all sorts of my clunking and wandering issues.  Guessing they were original, from '65.  What a mess.

New rivnuts for the mirrors?  I need to solve that problem myself - when I had door skins done on my car they didn't put the mirrors back on - have been questioned by the po-po about it but not quite sure the best way to solve it.

Your car looks gorgeous, though!

Pat

towjoe

exterior mirrors.
I drilled out the old rivnuts and installed new ones. Big improvement, a lot more stable.
Rivnuts were  10-24  .020  .130grip  steel zic plated Part# RN1024130SLR
I also used these for my flares.
Regards
Joe 
AKA towjoe

Hercplt

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on September 18, 2015, 08:26:12 AM
Well hello there. Discovered this, thanks to a post on reddit. Decided to come check it out.

I have a love/hate relationship with my '96 1.3L Cooper S. I love looking at it, I hate driving it, because I can't seem to spend any money on parts for it, and I have no where to work on it. I've had it listed for sale for the last 2 months, but I think I've decided to keep it. I have a few issues to tackle to love driving it again, but it looks like this is a fairly good forum full of classic mini lovers.

Of note, I have a spare set of Recaro's out of an Evo 8 I was tempted to throw in, but I have no idea how to fab up mounts to make em fit. Anyone have any ideas?

Where are you located??  There are a few options in Canada for ordering parts... I'm staying away from US dealers right now due to the exchange rate.  There is Mr Green in Toronto... Hunters Classic Cars in Victoria BC (online orders and super friendly... cheap shipping and good prices)...  Depending on where you are there are clubs with lots of experience... and mechanics...

Good luck... You got this!

Rich

a lot of your issues are relatively minor, and with some elbow grease and patience you can do it.  Its a great looking Mini!!  I love the rims...
1980 Mini 1000 (Canadian Spec).
998cc +60.  12G295 Head (ported, skimmed etc), VP7 Cam, Twin HS2.... sweet sweet 7.5" Cooper brakes!

joltfreak

where in Alberta are you?
there are a bunch of mini owners out that way.
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

jedduh01

Spicy looking car....It looks great - just needs some love.

15 year old tyres are going to be hard= flat spotted and ride like bricks .  Yokohamas and Falkens are available from UK Suppliers and check with suppliers mentioned above... Tyres give nicer ride and safety too!

I wouldnt be suprised either if your suspension needs some work- to soften up the operation and take away amny clunks or rattles you have too.

As also mentioned- meet up or try to meet some locals with mini's = Look for British car shows. or internent some british car clubs and try to meet some people.   Even an MG / jag or rover guy could like to help you with your isses ./ work or noises needed.   Club work days are greay ways to meet others and learn from other Brit heads how to tackle some projects.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Thanks for the support guys. Reading some of the threads on here convinced me to rebuild it. I'm looking at making a huge order over the winter and doing a full rebuild of the front/rear subframes, new shocks, bushings, rack, etc. Local Kal tire managed to find some crappy chinese tires (Westlake) for ~$200 installed.

I'm cross shopping right now. Mini mania vs Mini spares vs Hunters Classic vs Local shop (Auto-Mann). I've previously used all 4 with varying degrees of luck. Waiting on prices from the last 2, but Minispares blew Minimania out of the water in terms of cost.

I'm located in Calgary. A few, but not many Mini guys. The problem I'm experiencing is coming from the Subaru world, where every question has been asked and answered, with pictures, 18 times over, means the most retarded of DIY mechanics can get stuff done (that's me).

All the online mini stuff points me at manuals. Finding this forum has been a breath of fresh air so far.

MiniDave

Call Mike Guido at Mini Sport too, stuff comes straight from England in 3 day s and prices are commensurate with Mini Spares.

http://www.minisport-usa.com/

321-890-9888

Lots of very experienced Mini guys here, happy to answer any questions we can.....

BTW, link to the post on Reddit?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Welcome,

Also check out seven enterprises for parts great customer service, and Dan the forum owner here can get some parts as well. These guys too http://www.heritagegarage.com/

Jeff

94touring

I can get just about anything and price matched it not lower as is.  I will just have it drop shipped from my guy in the UK.  Any heritage panels I can get at a lower price as well. 

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: MiniDave on September 20, 2015, 09:00:10 PM
Call Mike Guido at Mini Sport too, stuff comes straight from England in 3 day s and prices are commensurate with Mini Spares.

http://www.minisport-usa.com/

321-890-9888

Lots of very experienced Mini guys here, happy to answer any questions we can.....

BTW, link to the post on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicminis/comments/3lfjzd/restoration_mini_forum_incredible_experience_from/

Since the Canadian dollar tanked, it's expensive for me to get parts from the US. Because the GBP also recently suffered, it's much cheaper for me to get stuff from there.

94touring

Sweet a plug!  I'm actually thinking about doing another mass shipment of parts for the store.  Doesn't help you though if the currency exchange is bad though. 

LilDrunkenSmurf

Yeah, it's something like 1 USD = 1.32 CAD and 1 GBP = 2.05 CAD, which means if I'm paying $149USD for a steering rack ($196) vs $49GBP ($100.45)... It's not a hard call.

Also going to get some (too tall) 145/80/12 tires soon. Hopefully that will help with the vibrations. I'm expecting some rubbing, but I have hilo's, so I could try raising it a bit. Anything to get rid of the old tires. I'd like to buy some Falken 912's in 165/60/12, but that adds ~$500, so I'll hold off for a bit.

94touring

Steer clear of the high 12s.  I had some on my mini when I bought it and they were God aweful.  Rode bad, rubbed like crazy, and look funky.  My opinion of course.

jedduh01

70' series tire on a mini  = Risky

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=498.0

unless your tyre supplier is willing to take them back off when they rub too much.

MiniDave

Smurf, you can order direct from Mini Sport in England and have them ship direct to Canada, avoiding the US currency exchange rates. Mike is located in Florida so he's our "local" Mini Sport Rep.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: MiniDave on September 21, 2015, 11:56:07 AM
Smurf, you can order direct from Mini Sport in England and have them ship direct to Canada, avoiding the US currency exchange rates. Mike is located in Florida so he's our "local" Mini Sport Rep.

That was the plan (with mini spares)

MiniDave

I like to use Mike and Mini Sport because besides great prices and service, Mike is a great guy who really supports the classic Mini owners.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad