Chip Foose's Take on the Classic Mini

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2020, 05:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

https://www.facebook.com/Hagerty/videos/363470871357883/

I actually liked a few of his ideas, but the 17" wheels.......erm, no.

I also didn't really like the blisters over the wheel openings, at least the way he drew them. I did like what he did with the grill opening and bonnet.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Ummm.  No.

Makes me appreciate even more how good Frank Stephenson's R50 MINI design was.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I agree, I liked the new MINI the first time I saw it - such a great interpretation of the original design cues, yet a fully modern car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Red Riley

He did say at the beginning that he's never actually had his hands on a real classic Mini. But it was pretty obvious that he likes the BMW M3 and wanted to make the old Mini more like the M3. I laughed when he said he didn't think the 18 or 19 inch wheels would fit and it would need something smaller like 15 or 17 inch.

MiniDave

Yeah, seems like all the modern designers only know how to draw cars with 20-22" wheels anymore......really bothers me to see cars from the 50's - 70's with those ginormous wheels. They just look wrong.....

The things I did like about Chips design (there were only a very few) were the grill opening, de-seaming, and the A panel treatment. I'm not a fan of the blisters over the wheel openings nor the 17" wheels. I think the 13's look about as big as you should go on a classic Mini, anything bigger would make it look like a cartoon car.

It was interesting how he linked up the A, B and C posts in the design phase.....he also said it had a flip front end, but those don't really make it easier to work on a classic unless it flips up from the front.....the other thing I REALLY disagreed with was adding the BMW logo! 

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Agreed, the blisters are completely unnecessary.  He talks about the seems ruining the beautiful lines and then he goes and sticks blisters in those lines. 

That whole argument reminds me of the 924 and 944 Porsche.  Exact same body, but the 44 looked so much more aggressive with the bulged fenders. 

All in all, watching and master artist at work is always fabulous. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Not to trash Foose - I like him and know he is talented - but has he ever designed a car from scratch?  Something that is his alone rather than modifying other's designs? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Scargo

What a fun exercise to watch him go through. He did lose me however with his treatment to the rear body panel. He has it angled inward from the belt-line to the bottom in lieu of it remaining angled slightly outward or near vertical. To my eye, that part of the design is somewhat reminiscent of an old Ford Fiesta.

gr8kornholio

Quote from: BruceK on September 24, 2020, 02:18:51 PM
Not to trash Foose - I like him and know he is talented - but has he ever designed a car from scratch?  Something that is his alone rather than modifying other's designs?

Yea, see all things Boyd Coddington. All his customs and wheel designs were done by his head designer... Chip Foose.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jeff10049

The Shockwave and Hemisfear are all Foose designs and, ugly as shit like everything foose.
Thats just my opinion. 
Might be a cool guy never ment him but i just don't like his designs.