Blown away: Fantastic MINI commercial pays homage to Monte Carlo winning Minis

Started by BruceK, March 14, 2019, 09:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I was not aware of this commercial until my brother called me excitedly and pointed me to it.

It simply blew me away. BMW has spent what must be millions of dollars re-creating the period of the mid-1960s to show the classic Mini Cooper competing in the Monte Carlo rally.

They've got the locations right, the competitor's cars right, and they cast it with people wearing period costumes and it's just incredible.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's the real works car being shown.  Sure, they took a few liberties.  Only one Mini is being shown instead of the team efforts. And are they showing John Cooper being a leader in the BMC works garage?  Or maybe that's his race shop being shown.  But I can forgive things like that when the result is so good.

This shows the classic Mini during 95% of the screentime with just a few seconds on the new MINI.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Great job on that commercial!! I saw a cut down version of it on the TV the other night did not know this version existed.

Makes me want to get an R53 JCW again.   Oops!! I do not think BMW wanted that reaction.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

I've now caught the shorter version of a commercial that uses some of this footage, but has a greater focus on the new MINI.    So glad I caught this version.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara