Classic Mini Racing: Something Not Quite Right

Started by Rosebud, September 11, 2017, 02:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosebud

I enjoy watching classic Mini racing footage. I've collected dozens of videos on Youtube and often loop them on a big flat screen TV in my garage. Makes a nice backdrop whilst wrenching on Rosebud. One of my favorite sources of racing footage is the "St. Mary's Trophy" series at Goodwood. The Mini Seven Racing Club is another large contributor—lots of current videos. And of course there's our own CanAm Mini Challenge.

However, there's something oddly unsatisfying about the Mini Seven series. I couldn't put my finger on it until recently. No disrespect for the expert drivers or excellent head-to-head competition. I simply don't like the non-traditional livery of the cars. The questionable choice of body colors along with the day-glow fluorescent grills and wheels is off-putting. They might as well be a bunch of beat up Honda Civics going around in circles on a dirt track at the local fairground.

The classic Mini is a great looking car. It's a shame to tramp them up with a lime green rattle can. Perhaps I'm grousing about this minor irritation because nothing is currently broken on Rosebud. I'm sure she'll need my attention soon enough and this too will pass.

Bonus Question: Re: Racing number decals. It was my understanding that a square number box indicated a rally car, while a round number box indicated a road-racing car. Any truth to this notion?
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

BruceK

I see your point about the appearance on Mini Seven but it just reflects our times.  Sponsors are paying for exposure and the bright colors attract attention.  You could say the same thing about how sponsors now appear on F1 cars, and on all forms of motorsport, NASCAR especially. 

It's great we can see still racing the way it used to be at Goodwood Revival and similar races.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Rosebud

Quote from: BruceK on September 11, 2017, 04:52:58 PM
...you could say the same thing about how sponsors now appear on F1 cars, and on all forms of motorsport, NASCAR especially.
I agree. But I don't think it's just sponsor's decals that make the Mini Seven cars ugly. Race cars have been plastered w/ decals for 50+ years, often with pleasing results. I'm thinking of the Gulf and Martini Porsches and the Red Bull F1 cars to name a few. Here's a couple of handsome Minis that haven't spared the decals and yet manage to look like proper Minis. Even the CanAm cars w/ their 13" wheels and cartoonish flairs look good. And don't get me started on NASCAR. Even their headlights are decals.

But you're right; it's an unfortunate sign of the times. After all, most of the Seven drivers on the podium aren't old enough to shave. What would they know (or care) about legacy livery.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports