Thoughts on this Moke?

Started by PaulK, December 09, 2018, 08:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulK

All:

This one is available right now on eBay USA, and I'm interested to hear your thoughts. It appears to be a Cagiva?

eBay item number:302977505819

Thanks,

Paul.

Willie_B

The home made VIN plate would scare me come time to register it. A VIN inspection could be a problem.  It is really a Portuguese Moke made in December 1987. If it comes with a title that helps. A new VIN plate can be made with the correct stamping of the number.

PaulK

I saw that. Also concerned by the lack of underside photos.

It has a title, which helps...

Willie_B

In the one underside photo it does not look real bad. The rust showing just looks like surface rust. The missing side covers can still be bought from several sources.

MPlayle

I concur with Brad (Wilie_B).  The VIN plate is the correct style plate for a Portuguese Moke, but the manner the VIN has been etched into it seems questionable.  I have not seen Portuguese Moke VIN plates to compare it with.

Overall, it looks in good shape.  Seems to have the correct 998.

The rims appear to be aftermarket 13" wheels, but look nice on it.

Jims5543

I can offer no help other than to say welcome here.

Paul is good people, he sent me some FJ Cruiser bumper parts at no charge after he read on another forum that someone backed into me.

He asked about this Moke on another BB so I pointed him here.

He also has great taste in cars.  :D

Paul you are in great hands with this crew.  Lots of knowledge and more helpful people.

I am not sure anyone here is local to the car but you never know.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

PaulK

drmini

It looks awful good to me.  If I couldn't have a Little Wheel Moke (UK) then I would opt for the Portuguese or Cagiva Moke.  Hate the way they butchered the rear panel on OZ Mokes to put the bigger wheels on them.  If you'll notice, this Moke has the 13" wheels but runs very low profile tires.  If you look at the photos really close, you can see the VIN stamped into the bulkhead just above the aircleaner, but it's not clear enough to compare to the plate.  Too bad the auction ends tonight as I will be in Indiana soon to pick up a car.  I could've inspected it for someone.  Anyway, good luck with the auction.

Willie_B

Did you get the Moke Paul?  Sold for 13,301. Good price if.

PaulK

I missed out. My comfort number was 12, I bid 13 & that wasn't quite enough. Kicking myself now. Thanks guys!

Willie_B

Quote from: PaulK on December 10, 2018, 06:41:10 AM
I missed out. My comfort number was 12, I bid 13 & that wasn't quite enough. Kicking myself now. Thanks guys!

You learned a bit about Mokes this time. There will be others along. You know a good resource for questions if you have any on the next one.