Woody wagon project

Started by macmanron, March 28, 2010, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macmanron

Ordered the door steps from Mini-City on Wed. Decent price, the shipping will be cheaper since they are close, and I like Dealing with Doug. Should have them on Friday. In the mean time I went to pops and bead blasted the seat frames, then primed them and painted with a epoxy paint. I figured I can work on them while not working at pops on the body. Anyone here do any recovering of their seats?? I have a few tips and tricks I have learned from some upholstry guys over the years. Gonna use some good foam, and them some memory foam too. I am even thinking of some heat elements for the seats too! Anyway here are some pics:

1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

I'll be redoing my seats.  I was even thinking of doing heating elements, I hope you do that so I can see how to do it!

macmanron

ok, so I got the door steps I ordered from NY and they are well, not very good. I will be sending them back, so this is strike two!!! I'm getting tired of this already! Gonna go with some from M-Machine in the UK, here is what they look like:
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Damn dude, so what don't you like about them exactly?  Who made them?

macmanron

The pic above are the ones i will be ordering. The ones I just got were cheap, thin, and the curves were horrible. I had already ordered the crappy ones when I got the email from M-Machine showing the ones in the pic above. !!!! ARRRGGHHHH I'm getting frustrated!!!

94touring

Interesting, mine had a sticker that Magnum made them.  The curves lined up well, the metal was maybe on the thin side (hey weight saving!), but only complaint for me was the lip had some excess metal from where they cut it.  Actually will help hold the rubber strip along the side on better.

94touring

Mmachine ever come back from holiday break?  The parts I needed from sommerford have been shipped. 

macmanron

nope! Man I hate waiting on other people!!! Oh well. I want to order some seat rubber diaphrams for the bottom seat. The backs were in great shape. I was going to order them from M-Machine as well.

macmanron

Ordered the door steps today along with the seat diaphragms . Hopefully I will get them soon.

94touring

Yeah hopefully, looking forward to seeing how you tackle it.

macmanron

Got my door stePs from m-machine today! They are great! Should've went to them to begin with

94touring

Saw the pics, glad they are good quality. 

macmanron

Latest progress report, two front seats done, and started work on the back seat. Also, putting in a new gear reduction starter, and alternator on the S. Need to get a spot lamp bar made up that suits me. Pics:

Front of the S :

macmanron

Looking for a new steering rack, LHD regular rack for the woody. Anyone got any ideas on the best ones?? Minisport    minispares??????

94touring

Seats look good.  I'm looking forward to doing mine, gona order new foam and everything.  What's wrong with your steering rack?

macmanron

gonna put in a new one in the woody wagon so I don't have to worry about it, gonna drive it alot. I sold a spare one I had today, and so the new one won't cost me much at all.

macmanron

The Guru is home from Winter vacation... TIME TO BUST THIS PUPPY OUT!!!!!!!!!!   He will be coaching, supervising, and most likely shaking his head alot!

94touring

macmanron

pops! He has done it all his life, his dad owned a body shop/garage back in the day. He has and has had some incredible cars. I'm the guy trying to learn. I should have paid attention when I was younger. I have done most of the finish work on my cars, but he's the welder, engine, suspension, and body man. I want the woody to be 95% my work. I can do all the interior stuff, wiring, re finishing blasting coating, things like that, just need to learn the other important stuff. Time is a major factor with me. I have decided that I'm going to be taking mondays off, and working on my car all day, every mon. It's at his shop with all the tools, and his knowledge.

94touring

Very cool.  Thats good you have a solid day to dedicate to the project.  I basically have 4 days a month I use to work on my truck as well.  Really hope I get that bed in before the end of this month when I have 4 days in a row to knock it out.  Momentum is everything. 

macmanron

pop's is back, and itching to get that woody out of his shop! ANy suggestions you can give us in replacing the front door step, a panels, and outer A panels. It is very rough, and not much to go by there.

94touring

Well take your time, don't go weld crazy till you know its right.  After you've got everything tacked in placed and eyeballed straight as possible, fit your door.   Since you have a wing in place already (I think?), you have that as a starting point, and the existing door frame as an ending point.  Just make it work in the middle.  Easy right!

94touring

Hey Wednesday night I'll be in your neck of the woods for a couple hours if you want to have me check this panel work out. 

macmanron

Now that would be cool!! Pop's worked on it a little today, I found out by stopping by before Volleyball tonight! I keep telling him I'm never going to learn to do it myself if does it all! He said, don't worry, I'm going to finish up my TR250 first!!  Give me a call, 302.745.8284.  I'll buy dinner!!!  Let me know when you'll be close, we can just meet at my place, and roll down to dad's.

94touring

Great I'll give you a call.  My girlfriend is taking some kind of class down there for a semester and I have to find something to do.   Might as well see if I can help out.