Happy 35th Pink Floyd

Started by Jims5543, December 04, 2014, 08:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

35 years ago you released The Wall. 

Hard to believe it was 35 years ago, I remember listening to Brink in the wall and being mesmerized by this remarkable sound. Run Like Hell, to this day is one of my favorite songs by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1DVGcEMKo

I have this blasting on my headphones right now while I am finishing up my days paperwork, checking work and sending clients their reports.

Seemed fitting to give the album another listen today.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

I remember listening to Brick in the wall and being mesmerized by this remarkable sound. 

Indeed, I think Shine on you crazy diamond is my favorite song.

So many good bands that are aging is there any new bands replacing them? What are we going to do for music? Just keep listening to Floyd, The Who, Zeppelin, Stones, and the like forever I guess.

Jeff

Mudhen

The movie took me about 20 times watching to get through the whole thing.  I always kept, uh...'falling asleep' part way through it.   :-X

Jims5543

When I am in my early 20's this crazy electronic music was coming out. I remember going to clubs with my girlfriend and eventually wife that played this music. Many clubs were off the wall, alternative type clubs, in other words you had a hard time telling the women from the men dressed as women.

I immediately took to 9 Inch Nails when they came out, then Marilyn Manson, I dug that electronic type of sound in Rock especially.

I still pay attention to the EDM scene (Electronic Dance Music) and own quite a few Dead Mouse (mou5e) albums as well as Avicci and Skrillex.

I did the sound.

That said, I love the Foo Fighters and think Dave Grohl may be our modern day Paul McCartney.  His passion for the music, his love for the old school sounds and history of rock is inspiring. I really enjoy his passion.

If you have not had a chance to see Sound city on netflix check it out. It is a really cool documentary with lots of old footage and many older artists coming back to play on the old Sound Board fromt he studio.

New bands today?

Black Keys are really good as is Jack White (The White Stripes) there are some others escaping me right now.

Music is dead, being an artist today is not like the Floyd and Zepplin days, sales suck thanks to itunes and mp3 downloads.

An artist today has to make their money touring and selling merchandise. So there are not too many greats coming along like the old days. Especially in the rock genre, it is not pop(ular)  so pop music is the way to go.... or Country, because for whatever reason country sells and the artists do pretty good. 

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson