Rusted shock mounts

Started by Mudhen, July 16, 2016, 09:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

What's the best way to attack rusted shock mounts?

I started to cut out the metal until it hit me that the other side is impossible to get to with all the other metal that comes together at that point.  8.gif

VIzard says to plate it with 3/32" steel for off road use so I need to do that as well.  I'd sure like to weld some bigger nuts on the back - those little square ones don't look too beefy - just don't know how I'd get in there with the welder...

94touring

Cut out a rectangular section beyond the rust and weld in a new plate, a thick plate.  There are a couple layers of metal there.  The captive nuts/metal bar thingies, are perfectly fine.  Add a couple extra welds to them if you need to.

Let me add that you may want to go ahead and cut out a section beyond the holes for the captive nuts.  Then you can pre drill the plate to fit over the captive nuts, and give yourself one big flat surface to mount to. 

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Mudhen

The Countryman.  If I'm going to rally it I need to beef it up.   ;D

It's the '80.  Putzing around on it since I'm out of work.

Thanks Dan.  Instead of trying to cut the area out in a single go I started cutting from the middle, peeling away the layers.  Much better.  I basically cut out just barely past the nuts.

Will now use 3/32 or 1/8" to weld some bigger nuts to and then weld in.  And get some of the competition mounts (or are those for lowered cars?) once I get back to working again.

Pat

ADRay

Quote from: Mudhen on July 18, 2016, 05:02:05 AM
The Countryman.  If I'm going to rally it I need to beef it up.   ;D

I thought of a good plate for it:

NVR4PAT

(not trying to hijack)
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Mudhen

Quote from: ADRay on July 18, 2016, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: Mudhen on July 18, 2016, 05:02:05 AM