How would you fix this?

Started by Spitz, November 02, 2015, 08:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitz

attached pic

Interior, right side corner, above parcel shelf

94touring

How's the closing panel on the back side look?

Spitz

The closing panel is nor rusted at that point at all.

There is a little rust through on the bottom of the closing panel near the bottom door hinge

94touring

Well, getting a cutoff wheel on it would be best, but tricky.  Opening it up to see what the damage behind it is would be ideal.  Or if the closing panel is questionable I'd pop it off too.  It's in the area where the two adjoin so I'd worry about what's hidden or why water was pooling there.  Aside from that a quick fix since it's hidden is clean the surface rust and simply weld a patch panel over it. 

Spitz

I'll be able to get a closer look once it's on a spit.  I'm presently stripping the car to get it on one.

One good thing is, eaither from new or an owner, put a very thick layer of waxoil or similar on the underside.  It's in very decent shape for a 61 that's never had any welding done.

My biggest problem right now is....I don't know where to put everything that I take off...like doors and interior>
Up until now I've been storing stuff in the back ( it's a van ).

94touring

MiniDave

Quote from: Spitz on November 03, 2015, 08:30:46 AM
My biggest problem right now is....I don't know where to put everything that I take off...like doors and interior>
Up until now I've been storing stuff in the back ( it's a van ).

I hear you on this!

When I did the rustoration on my old Jag I was lucky that my next door neighbor's van wouldn't fit in her garage, so she let me store stuff in there. It makes a huge difference having the extra stuff out of the way!

Worst case, buy an inexpensive metal shed and put it up in the back yard, but don't put anything in there that the mice can eat like seats and such. Those are best kept in thick contractor grade plastic bags in the basement or something......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Quote from: 94touring on November 03, 2015, 08:53:16 AM
Is that the worst area?

Yes, this is the worst I've come across....
The driver and pass floor boards are banged up a little and need a patch here and there maybe...but the floor in general is good.  Load bed is perfect.

94touring

Well then you're light years ahead of most!

Spitz

Oh I'm fully aware of that..lol
This van was a great find.  First time I saw it about 12 yrs ago was in a dindgy old wooden shed with no lights and crap piled around it.
Looked at it twelve yrs later in the light....no where near as bad as I thought

btw: Every window, including the windscreen, is the original from 1961

MiniDave

Interesting that it has a remote shifter, I thought that was only on the Cooper S in the early days.......shows what I know.......but my '62 Cooper S with the 1071 had one.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Yes I included that picture to show it had been changed...you can see the proper wand shift hole in the one picture.  If I can find a wand shifter I'll use that as the remote shift job wasn't done well.
I could tell that a 1973 or earlier MINI had been used as an engine/trans donour, as well as the binnacle....although the original paper machete like white round pod is still underneath it.

Merlin

I would be interested in seeing what is behind that panel. That type of rust doesn't start from inside the car and work out.
Engineering the Impossible