It's all MiniDave's fault

Started by Willie_B, September 09, 2015, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

For showing me how nice it is to have the car a good working height. Just got this. Mini still not running but at least it will be easier to work on it now.

94touring

Mudhen

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MtyMous

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Yep, I knew it was only a matter of time when we got his car up on mine and we could work on it without killing our backs. Looks like it's in great shape too - what did it set you back for a jen-u-wine Snapper?

You're gonna love it....... Congrats!

I found mine is easier to use when the front of the car is opposite of the lift cylinder, just FYI.

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

MiniDave

Will you have to put runners down to get over it, or is it lower than mine?

The only car I have that has enough ground clearance to straddle it without the runners is my Audi

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I will need runners also. The highest part of the cylinder is 6". So two boards high will do it. Hopefully 2x10's 8' long will work.

MiniDave

Mine are 10' long and they're fine for the Mini but barely long enough for anything else (like my newer MINI), if I were to do it again I'd get 12' boards. Mine just have some short sections under the main runner, they're not solid the whole way - which works fine on my broken up un-level garage floor. On a smooth, level floor you could just double up the boards if you wanted but that makes them a lot heavier to move around if you need to. One thing I will do is put a couple of screws in the ramp boards, they tend to move around when you're trying to go onto the lift, and if you hit the gas a bit while on them they can shoot out!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Garage Journal forum has some great ideas for board solutions to raise your access

.. After seeing some garage custom builds-- the urge would be strong to Inset that lift Flush to the concrete floor.

Concrete saws == jackhammers = Dig + pour a lower proper base.
Oh  how tempting!

Nice work - gotta be helpful!

Jims5543

Quote from: jedduh01 on September 14, 2015, 08:06:53 AM
Garage Journal forum has some great ideas for board solutions to raise your access

.. After seeing some garage custom builds-- the urge would be strong to Inset that lift Flush to the concrete floor.

Concrete saws == jackhammers = Dig + pour a lower proper base.
Oh  how tempting!

Nice work - gotta be helpful!

The guy I purchased my E30 from in Miami had that setup, with a similar lift as above.

I was impressed with it when I came to pick up the car.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I agree it would be great to recess it into the floor, but I'm not sure that would work with this lift due to the way the arms are set up on the outside of the lift. Mine and most scissor lifts are done differently and would recess more easily.

BTW, I'm on Garage Journal too - it's a fantastic site. My garage makeover is on there too....

How does the safety on that one work? Mine has a bar with teeth on it that engage slots in a channel section, you have to pull a bicycle brake lever arrangement to release it. You can see the small thin cable along with the hydraulic line in this pic

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

For those considering a lift for their garage and who don't have a lot of ceiling height (like me) another terrific resource is a Max Jack. Basically it's a shortened 2 post lift, but what makes it special is that it's mounted on wheels, so it's portable.

You do bolt it to the floor, but using inserts, then when you're done you can unbolt it and roll it over out of the way. The major advantage is the entire underside of the car is unencumbered so you can slide under the car to work, and on front engine rear drive cars you can get at the transmission and exhaust easily.

Two downsides - cost. It's more expensive that a scissor lift.

Secondly, the two posts are somewhat in the way for doing work on the side of the car.

They're also rare to find used, but they are out there if you look........but it's still a great and useful lift.

Here's a link.....

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring