Early Van Sill

Started by Spitz, November 05, 2015, 09:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitz

I'd like to know if my van's sills are original or not. I see no signs of a repair yet.

If someone could direct me to a picture of an early sill I'd appreciate it....outer sill.

Thanks

Nicholasupton

How early? I have seen one early internal tank car that had floors like a 59/60 sedan, and sedan type boot floor with extension panels.

Spitz

61 (March)...vans never had internal tanks as far as I know.

My sills are smooth

Nicholasupton

It has outer sills that are the same panel as the main floor section (59/60 sedan style), and are not easily replaced separately like later mini's. There is also a good chance they are foam filled so check before you do any welding in the area, as the stuff burns and stinks up the garage.

Spitz

I'm almost ready to get it on a spit....subframes, wiring, interior removed....so will snap some pics when easier to do so.
My sills appear to be smooth....with no "flutes"

Spitz

As  promised.....my sill...other side the same.
They appear to be original.
Due to a hole on an inner sill...I can see that it is foam filled.
I'll be trying to straighten out that bent in floor
As there's no room to whack a hammer....I'm going to try to use a scissor jack....with a board up under the load bed, and scissor jack upside down....hopefully the pressure will pop the floor out without putting too much pressure on the load bed.

MiniDave

Just so you know, you don't need a 3lb hammer to move sheet metal, it's better to use a light hammer and move it a little at a time so you don't stretch it. If you hit it too hard or too much, you'll wind up with something that pokes down in place of where it now pokes up!  ;D

Using the jack may work to do the initial move, then use body hammer and dolly to get the rest of it straight. Since it's the floor you're working on, it's a good opportunity to learn how to do this.

There are tons of vids on You Tube about how to straighten sheet metal, spend some time watching them then go for it!

Same thing with welding in patches, spend some time learning, then give it a go.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: Nicholasupton on November 06, 2015, 10:01:15 AM
It has outer sills that are the same panel as the main floor section (59/60 sedan style), and are not easily replaced separately like later mini's. There is also a good chance they are foam filled so check before you do any welding in the area, as the stuff burns and stinks up the garage.

Good call on the foam!

Do they stlll have a box section to the sill? It's just that the floor goes to the outside edge, then an inner box section is welded in?

Then on later cars the floor forms the inner side of the box, and the sill covers and forms the outer side, right?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad