Project Binky Episode 18 out

Started by Willie_B, August 01, 2018, 02:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Beat me to it!

Just watched it and it's the usual overbuilt but well engineered - this time the wipers. On the rear wiper, I wonder why they didn't use the Mini wiper motor instead of the Metro? They already had the Mini motor and all they would have had to do was make a bracket instead of that complicated slide thingy.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Binky 19 is out!

I have a few questions, the biggest one is why they're using MGZ components and wiring, and not just using the ones out of the Celicar? At some point they will have to marry the engine harness to the car harness.....also they were going to use the Mini dash and instruments, now I wonder if they'll wind up using the MG dash as it will all just plug in? I also don' understand using the MGZ harness, as it won't connect to any of the Mini lights for example

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Another good episode.

I really don't think there's many electrical components left from the Celica, just the running gear. With the tools they have, they can pretty much make anything work so I would be surprised if they put the mg dash in.

MiniDave

I know what Bruce will be doing this evening, Project Binky Episode 20 is available to Patreons today!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Let there be light.   At least for the first half of the new episode, when there is much ado about wiring. I still don't understand how the guys can be so exacting and meticulous about everything else but when it comes to wiring they are perfectly okay to just to crimp connectors  on wiring instead of soldering and shrink wrapping them. And they don't even put the loom in a sheath or wrap - it's just some loose wires with an occasional cable tie. 

The second half of the episode involves mucho machining and a pretty inventive approach to placing an alternator and air-conditioning compressor way out-of-the-way and driving them with magic. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara