Choke/Heater Knob panel

Started by SoCalMiniFan, September 18, 2015, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

The tabs that hold this panel on are connected behind each of the knobs and then bolted to the dash frame.

I can get the tabs tightened onto the rear of the knobs but how on earth do I reattach then to them dash frame.

My only thought was that if the dash padding/vinyl wasn't there this might be easier but I'm not really up for pulling that all out since its glued on and the interior of the car isn't on my to-do list this month.

The left side seems like it might be more do-able with a small longer reach socket but the right side has the steering column in the way and I can't even get a finger back there much less a wrench to actually tighten the nut.

Tips or tricks? Suggestions?

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

John Gervais

Howdy -
I'll go from memory, it's been a while. 

I think I 'dropped' the heater. 

If you loosen the screws that hold the heater control panel, you'll find that they also hold the front of the heater in place.  The rear of the heater has studs on each side that fit into small hook-type brackets on the toeboard.  Take a look right beside the fuel pedal, and again on the other side.  Simply loosen these nuts, no need to remove the heater completely, support the heater and remove the heater control panel screws completely, allowing the heater control to droop with the heater.

You might need to disconnect the 2 wires for the heater fan switch - as I type this, I can't see your picture, so I'm not sure how it's configured.

I believe you've now got enough space to work in -
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

It's a pita for sure.  I believe dropping the heater box as John stated is required.  I just remember being on my back with a flashlight in my mouth trying to get tools in there to tighten them up. 

MiniDave

Third this, mine were loose too - one of the ten's of thousands of loose things that resulted in me naming him "Buzz". Dropping the heater core down was the only way to get enough room to do anything......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: MiniDave on September 19, 2015, 08:36:05 AM
Third this, mine were loose too - one of the ten's of thousands of loose things that resulted in me naming him "Buzz". Dropping the heater core down was the only way to get enough room to do anything......

One of mine was actually missing, the right side. I can only assume it rattled off or at some point it was taken off and never replaced.

On the plus my heater box is there but I don't currently have any fluids in the car so I'll take it out, tighten the screws and dust off the cobwebs on the heater box before putting it back in and then hook up the new heater hoses. Shouldn't be messy, just time consuming.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

94touring

As a suggestion, make sure you put something on the stud from keeping the nut from backing off again.  I just had my heater cable nut come off.  Rather than dropping everything to tighten it up, I popped out the headlight switch, reached in and tightened it as tight as I could with my fingers, which is plenty good but would obviously rattle back off sooner than later, so I dabbed some rtv on the threads to keep it there.  Seemed easier than taking everything out to get a wrench on it and having a sore back the next day. 

MiniDave

Ah, c'mon Dan, do it right or don't do it at all!    20.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My heater cable torque settings are pretty low priority for me.