Previous topic - Next topic

gasmini

Quote from: Jims5543 on July 05, 2015, 01:49:59 PM
The South just rose again.

After all this is the Laff thread. ;D
[img]: A POSITIVE SIDE TO EVERYTHING...

[img]

Jims5543

My friend in SC received an email from his senator. His ancestors fought in the war.

QuoteThank you for your e-mail during the recent discussions regarding the flag at the Confederate Soldiers' Monument. My office received more e-mails regarding this matter than any subject that the Senate has dealt with during my 15-year tenure.

The debate regarding the flag centered on its public perception. Symbols are often misappropriated by individuals with detestable intent. Detractors and supporters of the Confederate Flag both understand that this has been the case.

Thoughtful men and women of goodwill can choose either of two paths -- accept a negative perception as our reality or attempt to sort through the issue in an attempt to articulate the truth. I chose the latter and voted to remove the flag. As the Senate has completed their deliberations on S. 897, it is now time for the House to commence their work.

Upon completion of the General Assembly's actions and the Governor's signature making it law, I am hopeful that we will move down the path toward a more unified South Carolina. This will not happen because of, in spite of, or in the absence of symbols. It will not happen because of political machinations. It is a function of the heart. May God give us grace to understand and honor the past, to live in peace and respect with each other and bequeath to our children and grandchildren a legacy of which they can be proud.

Sincerely,

Danny Verdin
SC Senate, District 9
Laurens & Greenville Counties

Some highlights from S.897

QuoteThis bill permanently removes the South Carolina Battle Flag of the Confederate States of America from its designated location on the grounds of the Capitol Complex within twenty-four hours of the effective date of the bill. The flag will be transported to the Confederate Relic Room for appropriate display

QuoteSenate Bill 897 is silent on the definition of an appropriate display, but the agency estimates that refurbishment of existing space and creation of a display may require a one-time expenditure of at least $1,020,000, as well as recurring [annual] expenditures of $130,000.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Done deal!!  House deliberated until 3:30 this morning and finally passed the bill.

Hailey is expected to sign off today and the flag comes down.

A lot of the 60+ amendments were stricken. Some included removal all memorials from the grounds (they all stay including the Confederate one, just the flag and pole goes) a budget to remove the flag. They did keep the $1 million budget to build a new home for the flag, did away with the 130K a year maintenance but put in 10-15 million budget to construct displays for all the battle flags. This bill just cost the state of SC from 11-16 million.

I, for one am glad to see it moved and put in a museum, I do not agree with the hysteria surrounding it, I also do not agree with the bullying of those that choose to personally fly the flag. I think the hysteria around this flag is a distraction, there are much bigger problems which are being ignored and racism is not the big problem.

I have noticed a lot more folks locally flying it than normal, my buddy said where he lives a couple of towns north and more country than here, he really saw an uptick in it.

I guess the argument will never end over what it stands for, like I said judging a large group based on the actions of a small group is dangerous and irresponsible. The folks doing all the bullying over it should pause and think about that.

Oh, and Bubba Watson is catching a ton of shit over taking the flag off the General Lee.   I personally think he should just sell the car if he is uncomfortable with it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

My Facebook page is covered in confederate debates.   11.gif

94touring

Jims5543

gasmini

A cowboy, who just moved to Wyoming from Texas, walks into a bar and orders three mugs of Bud. He sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.
The bartender approaches and tells the cowboy, "You know, a mug goes flat after I draw it. It would taste better if you bought one at a time."
The cowboy replies, "Well, you see,
I have two brothers. One is an Airborne Ranger, the other is a Navy Seal, both serving overseas somewhere. When we all left our home in Texas,
we promised that we'd drink this way to remember the days when we drank together. So I'm drinking one beer for each of my brothers and one for myself."
The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there.
The cowboy becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way. He orders three mugs and drinks them in turn.
One day, he comes in and only orders two mugs. All the regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, "I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your loss."
The cowboy looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns in his eyes and he laughs. "Oh, no, everybody's just fine," he explains, "It's just that my wife and I joined the Baptist Church and I had to quit drinking."
"Hasn't affected my brothers though..."

Jims5543

Being very religious the young couple find themselves sitting outside the Pearly Gates waiting for St. Peter to process them into Heaven.
While waiting, they begin to wonder: could they possibly get married in Heaven?
When St. Peter finally showed up, they asked him.
St Peter said "I don't know. This is the first time anyone has asked. Let me go find out" and he leaves them sitting at the Gate.
After three months, St Peter finally returns, looking somewhat bedraggled....
"Yes" he informs the couple " I can get you married in Heaven".
"Great!" said the couple "But we were just wondering, what if things don't work out? Could we also get a divorce in Heaven?"
"You must be bloody joking" says St. Peter, red-faced with frustration, slamming his clipboard on the ground.
"What's wrong?" asked the frightened couple".
"OH, COME ON!" St. Peter shouted "It took me three months to find a priest up here.....Do you have any idea how long it'll take me to find a lawyer?"

MiniDave

A termite walks into a bar and asks "where's the bar tender?"
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Learned something today at lunch.

1: My dick is not as big as a Subway sandwich.
2: I am no longer allowed into Subway.
Engineering the Impossible

Jims5543

MiniDave

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says "I'm looking for the man that shot my paw"
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Jims5543

Oh, that was a good one. LOL!!