Car Stuff On TV/Online

Started by Mudhen, January 14, 2015, 02:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Rather than starting new threads for all the stupid stuff I watch instead of working on my projects, thought I'd start one new thread where people can post things coming up.

Post it up.

Mudhen

I'll start.

Barrett Jackson is on!  Watching it online right now...looks like TV coverage will be on Discovery this year instead of FS1/Speedvision (remember Speedvision?).

Is it just me, or is the whole, 'resto-mod' thing getting a little old?

Jims5543

I hate Barrett Jackson, bunch of guys with more money than sense showing off driving up the price of mediocre cars.

That is my personal uninformed opinion.

I am sure many of the cars are 'special" for some reason unknown to me.  Some of my friends go to the Mercum Auction here in Florida, I prefer to go to the little ones car dealers go to and get deals. Which I will be doing over the next year.   ;D

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Not sure about the 'mediocre' thing without going there and digging under them, but ya, I like it more for the spectacle of it.  My wife even gets into it.

I went to an auction here a couple years ago - an old doctor who collected tons of awesome stuff - lots of Mazda 323 GTXs (something like 20 of them), a whole bunch of Minis, grey market GTRs - amazing stuff.  What a blast!  I'm a bad buyer by nature.  Auctions should be off limits to me.

MiniDave

I'm with Jim, I went to the Mecum auction held here in KC one year, and paid the money so I could go crawl around under the cars and so on....what I learned is the auction will shill the price up to the reserve! and the cars that don't have reserves, really aren't anything the knowledgeable buyer would want to own in the first place.

So the cars are worth what some idiot will pay, but the prices paid are really not representative of what the real world value of the car is..... and some of those "sales" are just cars that get traded back and forth among the same buyers, making it look like the value is going up, till some unsuspecting dweeb buys it out of the loop.

Sorry, none of these auctions are real in my view, just more Hollywood smoke and mirrors.

I hate to come off like such a buzz kill, but if you want to watch it for the drama of whether it will sell or not and for how much, be aware that that is being manipulated too.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Anyone catch the first part of the new Top Gear Christmas special in Patagonia?

The second part will be aired on BBC America on Monday evening....so far it's been fairly mundane, although a few surprises and of course the usual fantastic photography and cinematography has been a big part of it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

The first part is fairly typical Top Gear. The second part is really good/bad...

I am glad that they air it sooner than they use to over here. I have been watching Top Gear since they came out in the UK.
Engineering the Impossible

Mudhen

Quote from: MiniDave on January 14, 2015, 03:25:22 PM
I'm with Jim, I went to the Mecum auction held here in KC one year, and paid the money so I could go crawl around under the cars and so on....what I learned is the auction will shill the price up to the reserve! and the cars that don't have reserves, really aren't anything the knowledgeable buyer would want to own in the first place.

So the cars are worth what some idiot will pay, but the prices paid are really not representative of what the real world value of the car is..... and some of those "sales" are just cars that get traded back and forth among the same buyers, making it look like the value is going up, till some unsuspecting dweeb buys it out of the loop.

Sorry, none of these auctions are real in my view, just more Hollywood smoke and mirrors.

I hate to come off like such a buzz kill, but if you want to watch it for the drama of whether it will sell or not and for how much, be aware that that is being manipulated too.

Never cared enough to check if it sold/met reserve or not...just fun watching stuff roll across the block - and since I have no clue about American cars I've learned a lot over the years.  Heck, I even got to add the word 'Yenko' to my vocabulary.  I'd definitely enjoy more of those cars that don't have reserves like you said a knowledgeable buyer wouldn't want - just like BAT - love the rough ones more than the fancy done up resto-mods and overly restored stuff.  But I take what I can get...afterall, it still beats seeing another episode of Downton Abbey.   :(

Mudhen

24hrs of Daytona is this weekend...first day of testing was today and night testing going on now.  Just hate how they have to pay the bills and won't broadcast it online the whole time since Comcast doesn't have Fox Sports 2.   50.gif

jedduh01

Just sharing one I thoroughly Enjoy

Youtube - ROADKILL....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL12C0C916CECEA3BC

Is put on by Motor Trend-- mostly about Amercian Iron stuff- but to me its the "fun stuff " we all wish we could do with cars if we had unlimited budgets and could spend our days doing this stuff..  Little to no' drama aspect to a reality show - it feels real and how near anything would go down.  Sure some of its sponsored products - but fun!

One of my favorite epi .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gfQ4jzUEwU&list=PL12C0C916CECEA3BC&index=30

Jaguar XJ12 == has had a Small block CHevy  installed - - they bought it- slapped a blower on it - and of course- melted it down..... next episodes turn to a new motor - to making ear 700HP in this beast.!

Turn the Volume up and RIP!

Or a 76 240 Z = with a V6 Swap - Hey Lets put a big turbo on it--

Jims5543

The Porsche 911 in this video used to belong to my good Friend Harvey, if you looks close towards the end when Magnus shows some paperwork, you see Haveys name on it.

I chased the ass end of that car down many old moonshine roads, tail of the dragon, and all over the Smokey Mountains.

Cool video, if you do not know who Magnus Walker is, he is to Porsches what Rob Zombie is to Rock.  He pisses off the purists and I LOVE it. I am sure his Porsche crests do not point at the valve stems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEt52UzGpds&feature=youtu.be
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

MiniDave

My only issue with the Fox coverage of the Rolex is that the commentators never STFU! They spend far more time in the pits talking to anyone who will look at the camera and yammer on about the size of the lug nut threads on the *8 names of sponsors here* than what's really going on in the race.

Of course no one wants to give away their strategy, but jeez, it's like they scripted this stuff out weeks in advance! And it never stops. Guys, the race isn't about you!

I like the in car shots the best, and I'd love it if they would just shut up and let us watch the guys drive for a while.....sometimes they get so much diarrhea of the mouth I have to turn the sound off for an hour or two.

Leigh Diffey is the worst of the lot, but they all talk too much.

BTW, thanks for the schedule, as I don't get Fox 2 I'll be able to watch the starting 2 hours and most of the last 1/4th of the race - that will have to do.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on January 23, 2015, 09:51:27 AM
The Porsche 911 in this video used to belong to my good Friend Harvey, if you looks close towards the end when Magnus shows some paperwork, you see Haveys name on it.

I chased the ass end of that car down many old moonshine roads, tail of the dragon, and all over the Smokey Mountains.

Cool video, if you do not know who Magnus Walker is, he is to Porsches what Rob Zombie is to Rock.  He pisses off the purists and I LOVE it. I am sure his Porsche crests do not point at the valve stems.

Great video.

We want to do some sort of Outlaw/Magnus on the 944...except the 944 is just so uncool compared to a 911.  Not sure any amount of different colored bumpers, wheels, etc will cool-ify it.   :(

MiniDave

Really? I like the 944 and I think it's pretty cool as is....

I saw one for sale the other day with a 400 hp LT1 engine in it, it was nicely done too.....even had a special badge for the hood!

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4848785943.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on January 23, 2015, 10:30:33 AM
Quote from: Jims5543 on January 23, 2015, 09:51:27 AM

Great video.

We want to do some sort of Outlaw/Magnus on the 944...except the 944 is just so uncool compared to a 911.  Not sure any amount of different colored bumpers, wheels, etc will cool-ify it.   :(

This is me chasing my friends 911, notice the 944 in front of it. That was a local guy who came out.

Funny story, Harvey and I decided to run off and see how much trouble we could get in on a road that is called the Road to nowhere in Bryson City (worth going to if you are in the area) So he fires up his 911, I jump in my RX7 and we take off, our plan was to wait at the other end of the road for the rest of the gang after we have a very spirited ride.

So, the guy in that 944 looks over at another friend there who also drive a 944, his name is Jay, Jay tells this guy we are off to get in trouble. His face lights up and Jay says, "Well... go get after them!"  We were already out of site and gone.

Harvey and I are driving along at 70% capability having a good time, breaking laws, making noise and stinking up the place with the smell of a combination of open exhaust, burnt tires and burning brakes.

About 1/2 down the road, here come the local guy in his 944 beating cheeks to catch up. He fachin caught up with us.... we had a good 5 minute head start..... WTF??!! He could drive the wheels off that car and knew the roads like the back of his hand which was huge.

On the road to no where the only guard rail you have is trees and if you miss those, prepare for a LONG fall.

So 70% was suicide in my book, the 100% he was probably pushing that 944 was something that would have made Dr. Hunter Thompson very proud.

Mudhen

That's a great story Jim!  I'd say he must have been pushing it - 150hp of whoop ass surely wouldn't be close to what you were putting out!

MiniDave - if you haven't discovered it yet - if you go to the IMSA site you can pick from one of 5 cars to hop inside.  I just happened to tag along with Scott Dixon on a pit stop...pretty awesome.  Otherwise I think it's a little boring looking out the window (although the sounds are intoxicating). www.foxsports.com/motor/tudor-live-stream] is the url.

Mudhen

Goodwood live stream this weekend:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/events/watch-the-goodwood-members-meeting-live/

12 hours of Sebring this afternoon, too...   4.gif

Mudhen

Le Mans on Saturday.  And Sunday I guess.

77.gif

Jims5543

Yes!! I have seen pics popping up on Twitter to remind me yet I still forgot.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jims5543