New Grille

Started by Spitz, February 24, 2015, 05:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitz

My van has had a portion of the grille cut out at some point.

If I'm able to get my hands on a replacement grille panel, I'd like it to be quick release as in the picture I hope I can post.

I need to know if braces need to be welded in behind....or a portion of the old one left to mount to......any pictures of this process...or a finished one on and off?
Thanks

MiniDave

I think those quick release kits come with the brackets that you have to screw to the shell.

I didn't know they offered the grill portion separate from the front shell, that will make a huge difference when doing routine maintenance being able to remove that panel!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

I've seen the panels in a couple of places now.
I would love to see a pic with one removed, so I can see how it mounts and especially the edge.

I would image a vertical piece would have to be welded in also....similar to other MINIs....otherwise, the slam panel would not have much strength.

MiniDave

This is the first one I've seen done like that.....ran across this pic this am from a friend in Canada....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Yes,,,,that seems to be the same set up I want to do.
I need pictures of how the pressed grille is installed this way, with quick release....how it's held

MiniDave

In that pic it looks like the grill sits proud of the surround.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Yes...it's missing a thumb screw...looks like they were/are recently working on it.....The first picture is ideal, and probably what that convertible would look like when tucked in

tsumini

If you like the look of Dzus fasteners they should work.

Spitz

I do like the look...but the question remains the same....what is used for the "backing" on the inside