Russian collusion

Started by 94touring, December 19, 2018, 10:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I've deleted about 30 or 40 Russian located spam jerkoffs today from the forum.  There may be more I've missed.  I was tempted to shut down registration altogether as I don't have time to mess with this, but will only activate new members manually for now till this passes.  If any mods see spam please delete it and the member, or if you can't delete the member come find me. 

MPlayle

Got a moderator notice about one posting last night, but it was already gone by the time I logged in to delete it.

I'll keep an eye out for more.

94touring

Just waking up but see we have 34 new registrations since last night I'll have to sift through.  Odds are all 34 are spam.

Willie_B

Will keep an eye or two out for them then...

MiniDave

They do this on every forum I've ever seen, except maybe the English Mini Forum - maybe they have full time staff or something....no more new members than we get a year, manual approval might be the best way to keep them out.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Over on the Mini Owners of Texas forum, we went to manual registration/approval a long time ago to prevent the spamming registrations.  It did slow some growth of the forum, but we felt the trade-off in managing spammers was worth the effort.

Spammer and "bot" techniques have gotten more sophisticated and are now getting around a wider variety of the older authentication methods (such as the "scrambled text").

94touring

I just added more questions to the registration process to hopefully cause them to lose interest.  Eventually I'll make the questions difficult if this doesn't slow them down.

MiniDave

What a PITA, I can't believe this ploy to get people to click on their sites is successful and generates income enough to make it worthwhile to invade all these online sites.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

O come on, that poor russian girl was just looking for a nice man.  To bad all that's here are tiny little British cars.  Lol.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 20, 2018, 09:52:55 AM
O come on, that poor russian girl was just looking for a nice man.  To bad all that's here are tiny little British cars.  Lol.

Maybe they know... we are compensating for something.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Yeah our big brains!

The extra questions on registration seems to have stopped the constant new registrants.   

John Gervais

Unbelievable - is nothing 'safe' anymore?
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Here's the new Q&A to become a member. I won't reveal the answers.

Jims5543

Had to google Alex.  I am not too proud to admit that.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Only smart mini enthusiast allowed lol.  Registrations have been haulted to zero since the questionnaire update.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 21, 2018, 03:08:15 PM
Only smart mini enthusiast allowed lol.  Registrations have been haulted to zero since the questionnaire update.

Glad I got in when I did.

Whew!!

94touring

Russian spam spy kgb members are back in full force so registration is disabled again.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

interesting I got around 6 emails through the contact form on our business website today about bit coin. I thought our site was pretty secure damn spammers.