Starting the search

Started by Dmulder, July 07, 2019, 04:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

My wife and I named all 3 of our children after cars. We have Ford, Cooper, and Tucker. My sisters have somewhat followed suit with 3 girls between them named Shelby, Eleanor (the Eleanor), and Elise.
Our plan has been to get each of our boys a classic car in need of work at around the age of 13-14. Our oldest turns 13 this fall and we are starting our search. He really wants a Mustang from between the years of 1967-1970. I'd like him to go with an older Ford truck. We already have the mini and my you gear wants to do a Datsun Z.
All that to say we are starting our search for the Mustang or the truck and if a killer deal pops up on a Z putting it away for the future. Our buy the car budget isn't huge right now. We are looking anywhere between $2,500-$5,000. We could possibly go higher if it was deemed worth it.
I know several of you live in the middle of the country and some in the south where old cars tend to fare better than up here in Michigan.
Could I ask you a favor?  If you see something that might qualify would you be willing to post on here about it? Maybe give me contact info.

Thanks in advance,
Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

How much of a project are you up for?

Willing to do metal work for example? Paint?

You don't get a lot of classic car for your budget, but a lot depends on what you're willing and capable of doing. Good luck with your search!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Willing to do some body work and paint yes.
I'm not afraid of anything mechanical or engine work either.
Really looking for a 1 to 3 year project with each boy.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Willie_B

Jims5543

Damn, I am toiling with a decision right now and this thread is pushing me.

I won, by accident a 1981 BMW 320i on BAT.

It is sitting in storage, I drive it maybe 5X a year.

My younger son is 15 years old I have been toying with gifting him the car as a DD when he gets his DL.

My older son (Now 26) has been an E30 fanatic since he was 15. When he purchased a 24 hours on Lemons car for $500 when the team aborted the project due to bad economy.

I was on the fence about this leaning towards giving him the E21 as long as he can insure it on his own.

I love your premise, my older son and I worked a lot on his first E30 to get it road worthy. While this E21 needs a lot less work it does need some TLC.  I am leaning towards offering it to him.

Thank you.

E21 next to my E30

My older son taking delivery of his first car a 1990 BMW 325i from a friend in Virginia.  He was concerned my son was not happy with the car due to lack of emotion. He consulted with a mutual friend who know my older son well. The mutual friend asked if my so smiled a little and Virginia said yes, then mutual friend said, "He was ecstatic then" hence my older sons nickname was born, "The Iceman" which was so appropriate because he is so chill.  Younger son shows no emotion but is way more stressed out, he internalizes it all.

My older sons current E30 with a S52 swap getting ready for fresh paint.

Mulder-  The best bonding I have had with my boys is over cars working on them.  My older son and I went over his E30 (gold one in pic) and made it a solid driver.  He uses those learned skills today.

I will do the same wiht my younger son with this E21, it needs a few things but not as much as the E30 my son bought. As you are fixing to do, make some great memories with your kids.

Good for you.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson