Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Yes i hear you it can get expensive but like i said a lot depends on what the new owners abilities are.
The seller had the rear taillight assemblies but replaced them as he could not get them working correctly, maybe he has the fronts and the headlamps too.
The Innocenti stuff does come up for sale and demands a premium that is for sure. There is a guy on FB in Croatia that has a grille and always has Innocenti stuff listed but no prices.
Like i said i would drive it as is and sort out where i wanted to go with it but even if he did spend big money on a paint job my guess is he wouldn't loose any money with it advertised for sale in California.

MiniDave

yep, agreed....

The guy in Croatia is where Dan got our grill and where I got my price....I'm not sure he has another.

I'm sure the sockets are badly corroded in the tail light assemblies - I asked him if I could have them if they didn't go with the new owner but haven't heard back - if the chrome was OK I would transfer the sockets out of our tail lights and we already have a set of Altissimo lenses. I found a complete set of Altissimo tail light assemblies but they were $500. We decided not to change ours as most people won't know the difference.....unlike the grill which is so obvious.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

There's a guy on Facebook with a really nice 74 Inno, good color and looks complete - he wants $25K, I think he's in New York.

See if this link works....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219547545216448&set=gm.2428189903902947&type=3&theater&ifg=1

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've bought a few things from the Croatia guy.  He bundled several odds and ends we were looking for.  I got the altissimo lenses from him but didn't realize the assembly is different.  The assemblies are hard to find in a pair and under $500.  Getting a steering wheel for under $650 was also a challenge and we still haven't found a horn button but I do have an inno emblem that may suffice if we have to fab up a button.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 25, 2019, 11:51:30 AM
There's a guy on Facebook with a really nice 74 Inno, good color and looks complete - he wants $25K, I think he's in New York.

See if this link works....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10219547545216448&set=gm.2428189903902947&type=3&theater&ifg=1

When you quoted those prices i assumed you had first hand experience with their costs ;)

Although it screams the 70's the beige colour did nothing for the one that just sold the only colour worse than that was the brown they used but colour is subjective, that NY one looks much better in blue imo.

Looking at the blue car another thing that was missing on the beige Inno was the wheels they were 10 inch Mini light copies.

BruceK

Now for something completely different:   A fiberglass Mini on BaT.   It has a Swiftune engine is sure to generate a lot of comments.

The photos don't really emphasize the body differences to a normal metal-body Mini.   Until you see where the tail lights are.  And start looking at all the details. 

Still, not a bad Mini by any means.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-austin-mk-iv-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Weren't those made in Chile or Argentina or someplace?

This thing looks great! The only thing I wouldn't be keen on are the straight cut gears - I'd get tired of listening to them in a hurry.....

I wonder how thick the fiberglass has to be to be as strong as the steel body is?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 25, 2019, 07:16:15 PM

This thing looks great! The only thing I wouldn't be keen on are the straight cut gears - I'd get tired of listening to them in a hurry.....

I wonder how thick the fiberglass has to be to be as strong as the steel body is?

There were two different fiberglass Minis made in South America: earlier ones in Chile with BMC cooperation, and later ones in Venezuela (MiniCord) with Rover cooperation.  The MiniCord ones even got the approval of John Cooper to use his name to make "official" Mini Coopers before Rover started back up with the reborn RSP Mini Cooper.   It was the MiniCord models that were imported ro the USA (or tried to be imported) by an outfit in Florida in the early 1990s.

But the fiberglass Mini on BaT is totally British, produced by Domino.  Most of the bodies they made were open top and looked like the Pimlico one below.  And if you look you can see some of the same styling as on the BaT Mini (molded in wheel archs connected by a horizontal swage line halfway up the body)

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 25, 2019, 07:16:15 PM

I would think they are pretty thick as they weigh close to the same as a steel bodied Mini
I worked on a Pimlico and it had a 1380 in it and it was a quick Mini.
Funny how they raised the rear lights and lowered the front turn signals.

MiniDave

Well, it's getting  a lot of love - already at $10K on the first day....later comments indicate it's a carbon fiber/fiberglass mesh up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The green one on BaT is a Domino HT.  The "HardTop" version of the Pimlico Bruce posted.  They were an all fiberglass kit car - no carbon fiber - from the factory.

That particular green one was formerly owned/sold by Al Guest - known on Mini Mania as "Big-Al".  It has gone back and forth through him a few times.

Jimini II

Quote from: MPlayle on September 26, 2019, 08:14:50 AM
The green one on BaT is a Domino HT.  The "HardTop" version of the Pimlico Bruce posted.  They were an all fiberglass kit car - no carbon fiber - from the factory.

That particular green one was formerly owned/sold by Al Guest - known on Mini Mania as "Big-Al".  It has gone back and forth through him a few times.

I thought it looked familiar, the Pimlico i worked on was owned by Al too now in TN i believe.

BruceK

So, now there are two black Minis no BaT.   The second one is a Japanese export Mini 1000, and it looks to be in good shape too.  It's been converted to 10" wheels, which I think are the best looking wheel size on a Mini. 

Of course with a 998 engine it may not pull bidders away from the fiberglass Mini with the Swiftune engine.  But it will interesting to see how this car does.  My guess is it will go for the low teens. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-rover-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I dunno.....it's got rust, cracking paint, a crunchy second gear and a 998....plus those miserable seats..... ;D

But black is almost as good a resale color as red, so......I dunno.......

BTW, unless my eyes deceive me the other MIni is green, not black?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 27, 2019, 07:42:00 AM

BTW, unless my eyes deceive me the other MIni is green, not black?

You're right.  My mistake.  On my phone it looks black, but viewing it here the computer screen it is definitely dark green. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I don't think it will make low teens quite a few jobs need to be done to get it in shape and they are not the easy ones headliner, paint and synchro's all jobs the "average" owner pays to get done.
It sold for $6400 but had to be shipped from Japan it will be interesting to see how well it does do.
Did you guys notice there are three different seats, two aftermarket black, one aftermarket white one, and the Factory Rover black ones.
The carb looks like it is maybe a downdraft Webber but no sign of an air cleaner.
It does have a good look to it with those 6" wide 10 inch wheels though.

BruceK

Okay, I'm pretty sure this Mini is indeed black.  ;D    Just popped up on BaT, it's another JDM Mini 998 special edition.

This one was a grade 4 when it went though the Japanese auctions.  That's pretty high and rare grade for a 3 decade old car.   Wonder if bidding on BaT will reflect that?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-rover-mini-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on September 25, 2019, 06:10:05 PM
Now for something completely different:   A fiberglass Mini on BaT.   It has a Swiftune engine is sure to generate a lot of comments.

The photos don't really emphasize the body differences to a normal metal-body Mini.   Until you see where the tail lights are.  And start looking at all the details. 

Still, not a bad Mini by any means.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-austin-mk-iv-mini-2/

Well the green/white one was bid to $17,750 RNM.

MiniDave

Seems pretty low to me, I really thought it would be bid higher, but the bidding just died on it the last two days......that's one of the few cars on BaT that I think could have been bought and simply driven.

On the black Japanese spec just listed, I don't think folks realize how much money still needs to be spent even on a "nice" low mile car. With the cones flat in front I'll bet it needs all new suspension bushings, and "while you're in there" upper control arm bearings, ball joints, CV boots and repack, wheel bearing repack.....if you can't do this work yourself, it can amount to several thousand dollars at a Jet Motors or Heritage Garage type places. It also has rust mentioned, and we all know how that can snowball.....even on a nice car that's been well kept.

Two different Inno's on Facebook right now one had a resto 5 years ago, the other is unknown, but both cars look really nice and neither are red for a change. One wants $18,500 the other $25K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on September 27, 2019, 06:10:46 AM
So, now there are two black Minis no BaT.   The second one is a Japanese export Mini 1000, and it looks to be in good shape too.  It's been converted to 10" wheels, which I think are the best looking wheel size on a Mini. 

Of course with a 998 engine it may not pull bidders away from the fiberglass Mini with the Swiftune engine.  But it will interesting to see how this car does.  My guess is it will go for the low teens. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-rover-mini-2/

This one in Canada just sold for $6010.
A good price imo when you consider it sold for $6400 in Japan a while back but it does have a weak 2nd gear synchro on the downshift.

BruceK

My guesstimate on that Mini was way off!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't know if it's the time of year or what, but there have been a lot of RNM's lately.......and Mini auctions are not seeming to draw as much interest form the general BaT watchers. When I read the comments, there are a number of the same guys posting, and a lot of the bids are either one and done or Miniguy bids.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

They're all to busy watching and bidding on 90's Japanese nostalgia. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jedduh01

MiniDave

I wonder if that will work better? It only got to $17K or so on BaT, and I wonder why it didn't do better - it's a really well sorted and rare car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad