Long haul mods

Started by Willie_B, November 19, 2014, 05:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I don't think it will be a problem, but I could see some possible areas where it might be 200+ miles between stations, so a spare can of gas is a good idea. When I travel with Buzz, I usually start looking for gas at about 1/2 tank, and get really serious about it at 1/4....

Dan, that's why I added the extra heater core under the bumper on my Clubby, so far I haven't needed it but I also haven't driven any highway distance in 85-90* temps this summer yet.

When I was having hot running issues, turning on the heater helped at first but then the temp slowly climbed back up - I think I have that issue resolved now after I changed the water pump pulley to a smaller one, getting the pump moving more water.

Willie B, this is going to be an epic trip - I'm so jeaous! Less than a week till you hit the road now.  71.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

New window sticker for the trip. So many ways you can read this.

94touring

Cool.  Bring your drinking shoes. 

jedduh01

Any thoughts for an add on cooling radiator ?

or atleast pack a few parts like core + clamps and hoses to pipe one in fast if needed-  I know its HOT this week and NEXT - I would NOT want to be worried about that - or / drive Stratight NORTH to Canada Cool- then take a left to the west coast! '

MiniDave

He already said if it's too hot he'll drive at night.......

I put an aux cooler on mine with a shut off valve, but haven't had to use it yet, but then I wasn't crossing the western plains on 100* days either.....

6 days and counting!

If you haven't already, get a Facebook page going, if you need help that's one of the quickest ways to marshal the troops. If you have one be sure to post it up here so we can all friend you and watch your progress - also, posting pics along the way is very easy with a smart phone and Facebook.

Do you have a Garmin too - I find them especially useful when driving in unfamiliar territory.

Also, you need a Passport to cross the border with Canada now and to get back into the states......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Heck no need for a garmin anymore if you have a smart phone.

MiniDave

Yes and no......I find it easier to navigate with my Garmin since I have it mounted in easy view up on the windshield, and what if you're trying to make a phone call while navigating?

Lastly, where he's gonna be driving I can imagine there are large swaths of no cell coverage.....

Unless he has a Nokia. They have a navigation/maps app that's not dependent on cell coverage.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Got a smartphone but will also take my gps, it does not take much room.

Not a facebook fan so I will just put photos up here. I will make a new message for them.

I have a heater core I got for extra cooling. Just have a hard time figuring where to mount it. Seem photos of others done. Maybe I need to have another look as it looks like it may be a might bit warm.

Got the spares packed and loaded. Now to find room for the tools and other stuff. Got a pile of shirts I had made to take and sell (I hope). Don't want the inside looking loaded for when it is parked at night.

94touring

Years ago when I did my heater core setup I put it behind the grill kind of below the coil.  You can actually route the in and out lines directly from the heater valve.  Helps to flip the valve facing forward rather than make a U turn with the hose. 

MiniDave

True, it's unlikely you'll need the heater on this trip, except maybe going thru the higher elevations....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Figured out a mount for the extra cooling. Still have the heater core in the system too. You can also see my dollar store plastic pet dish distributor cover. Wonder if I need to do like the air cooled VW folks do and bump up the rear of the bonnet for the hot air to escape.

94touring

MiniDave

I know some people have had trouble with rain coming thru the grill and causing the engine to run poorly, but I've been thru some really fierce rainstorms with no issues......

Does your heater have to be turned on for the aux cooler too?

I did mine a little differently, I built a small take off block under the heater valve to the cooler, then put a ball valve in that line for colder weather. You can see it in this pic...this way my heater is independent of the aux cooler, but I do have to manually turn on the aux cooler. Since the Clubman front end is made differently, my aux cooler is under the front bumper....the orange handle is for the ball valve.

I don't think opening the rear edge of the hood will help, you want the airflow out thru the sides - thru the radiator......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: Willie_B on June 18, 2015, 11:41:16 AM
Figured out a mount for the extra cooling. Still have the heater core in the system too. You can also see my dollar store plastic pet dish distributor cover. Wonder if I need to do like the air cooled VW folks do and bump up the rear of the bonnet for the hot air to escape.

Very nice- looks like the best mod overall - Keepin temps in check. THat will help.
Dont be afraid to just let it hang outside the car = all the kids are doing it! And your's will be functional!

Looks like you simply Un Plumbed the Interior heater and plumbed this in its path . Effective for air flow and that capacity too. Can i ask what off the shelf item that is?

Minimania forum had  some nice support for some people traveling  up CALI that had an issue- reach out if you need. Best of luck on the travels- Adventure of a Lifetime! 

Willie_B

Quote from: jedduh01 on June 18, 2015, 02:39:46 PM
Can i ask what off the shelf item that is?

Heater core info; Ready-Aire #2-522 398213, also has cross reference numbers on the box: NAPA 3377, 4 Seasons 94490, Everco 6269, Stant 90213, Murray 279162. The size is 8" wide  2" thick  12" tall with 3/4" water in/out. I cut the very end 3/4" part of the in/out to reduce it to 5/8" then got a brass reducer to get that down to 1/2" for the in car hose to the inside heater. Do not know what vehicle it was for as I was just size shopping.

MiniDave

WillieB, will you start a new thread or up date here in this thread?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on June 19, 2015, 12:16:53 PM
WillieB, will you start a new thread or up date here in this thread?

When I hit the road I will start a new thread to keep up with me.

MiniDave

The reason I suggested a Facebook page is that it's very easy to upload pics on the go from your Smartphone to FB, and it's easy for u to follow along too......

Good luck on the drive!

Will you go straight from Hot-Lanta to Tulsa, or stop overnight in Little Rock (about 500 miles) along the way?

I-35/I-135 north thru Kansas is a good road, but from I-70 north you're on 81 - a 2 lane - all the way to I-80. Still, I prefer travelling on 2 lane roads when I can. Once you hit I-80 it's straight all the way to Salt Lake, then it looks like I-84 almost to Seattle. Is that your route?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

First night stop will be in the Little Rock area. Then over to Tulsa. After Tulsa I will go up thru Wichita to I-70. 70 over a bit then cut up to I-80 on state 83. West thru Salt Lake City to I-84 up to I-86 to I-82 to Seattle.

Return I-90 to Sioux Falls SD, I-29 to Kansas City. I-70 thru St. Louis to I-64 to I-24 thru Nashville to Chattanoogo. I-75 home to Atlanta.

Too bad I don't have time for sight seeing. Will be passing lots of neat places but I would get in serious trouble stopping without my wife.

MiniDave

Yeah, funny that - they don't want to go with you, but they don't want you to go without them!  ;D

My wife always tends to over pack when we do take a road trip - I have to keep reminding her that we are not traveling to deepest darkest Africa and there are Wal Marts all over the country and we can easily get any thing we need!

While I do appreciate her preparedness for any thing that might be needed along the way - I just get tired of loading and unloading it from the car every stop....

I think you're going to catch the weather perfectly - at least as far as it being dry....but it does look hot for most of your drive - low to mid 100's most of the way.....and they're even talking mid 90's for Abbotsford while you're there - so much for cool Canada.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Interested to hear how this turns out. I got now I get 40 mpg easy on the highway when cruising right at 70 mph.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Dmulder

I also like the idea of a private club listing (maybe with some vetting of some kind) for long trips. I'm new to this game of mini's but I love mine.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

He's home, for the whole story look for his trip thread to MMW 2015, here.....

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=760.0

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad