Rear wheel bearings

Started by Mudhen, August 07, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Rear wheel bearings...any favorites out there?

I like Mini Mania:  Title - "Rear Wheel Bearing Kit Tapered Genuine Timken For Mini"...and buried in the description:  "Not genuine Timken type but a copy".  I also like $80 vs the $19 from MiniSport.

7 seems to have the clearest options...but still don't know which is best...probably these:

http://www.7ent.com/products/rear-wheel-bearing-set-taper-roller-timken-unipart-ghk1548-oe.html

$115ea.  Ouch.  Gotta be one of those things where you get the part number and order from Timken for $11.50.

Mudhen

Ok, getting clearer.  That 7 part was a Unipart branded Timken...vs the $90 regular Timken in the Walmart box.   11.gif

And the 'if using 13" wheels use the latest bearing' just means the radius arms have the 'o' ring groove so use the kit that has the 'o' rings.

I frickin' hate how some companies have some parts and others don't.  My standard check is MiniSpares, MiniSport, 7, and Moss...only 7 had a Timken bearing out of that lot.  F'ing project for a bearing.   50.gif

94touring

I just did a pair.   I can't remember if they were unipart or genuine timkins though.   

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on August 07, 2014, 04:17:27 PM
I just did a pair.   I can't remember if they were unipart or genuine timkins though.

You did use the Timkens, though...good to know.

Now I need to avenge my Donkey Kong loss.   :(

MtyMous

I use Timkens. Haven't had a problem yet. Got mine from 7 last time around.

FYI, I had quite a hefty shopping cart ready to go over at MiniMania and those exact bearings were in my cart. Had a total of $4300 in misc parts from them. haha. I've since emptied my cart and will pay the extra shipping and go through the extra butt pain of ordering from separate vendors. I'm very picky about how vendors represent themselves and I can deal with MiniMania's markup on some parts as they are third party and they are just trying to make a living... but this was blatant and intentional. So they will not be getting my $4300.

edit* I removed some comments because I contacted them about this subject and I would like to see their response.

94touring

If you have a list of parts and preferably part numbers I can see what my guy has in stock.  It will be cheaper than mania.  He just isn't very quick.   Large heavy orders you will get hit with customs, but still cheaper.

MtyMous

Yeah. This was just small items that I hadn't been able to find anywhere else. And some items that I was on the fence about. It wasn't really anything I can't get anywhere else. I've already contacted MiniSport about giving me a bulk order discount and going through Mike for cheaper shipping. We'll see what I get back on that. Looks like this will end up being a better deal than MiniMania anyway. It sort of took away my last reason to buy anything. They used to be expensive but relatively trustworthy and with good customer service. No one picked up the phone. No one has answered my email from a week ago about a price match (which matches their price match policy) and now this.

I will definitely take a look at the list you gave me a while ago that your guy can get in. I'm sure there's something at a better price that I can get.

I won't clutter this thread any more with my babbling. Where were we.. Timken.. yeah... timken.

MtyMous

They've fixed the description. I got a personal email from Don.

Still taking my shopping lest elsewhere. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

94touring

Mudhen

Quote from: MtyMous on August 09, 2014, 01:51:43 PM
They've fixed the description. I got a personal email from Don.

Never let it be said that MtyMous doesn't get shit done.  77.gif

Merlin

I am also not a big fan of minimania. I fail to see any products that they manufacture in hose or bring any innovation to the marketplace. I priced out my suspension and brakes from them and was shocked at the price difference between MM and Minispares. They don't even bother to change the part numbers between their products and Minispares. Shipping was $200 from england, and in the end, I still saved nearly a grand!

I looked up the part number for the Timken bearings, and they appear to be a non-standard size. I know that my company has an account with Timken as we use them extensively, so I will see if I can't find my cost and see if there is any interests.
Engineering the Impossible

MtyMous

If you find something and the cost savings is there, you can put me down for 2 front sets and 2 rear sets.

sparetimetoys

Does anyone have the Tmikin part numbers? We have a bearing supply wharehouse the company uses close to Love Field.  I can check what they have.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

Merlin

This is where I am pulling my part number from

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/239705-rear-wheels-bearing-issue/

A google search of that part number doesn't bring up anything worth linking.
Engineering the Impossible

sparetimetoys

Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.