Rear brake pads

Started by DS1980, October 06, 2015, 06:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS1980

First time doing brakes on a mini. Stock 1972 with drums. Took off the drivers side hub due to it catching. When I wiggled the brake shoe, the pad fell off. IT seems to be held on by some type of glue. Is there a certain glue to reattach, or when this happens is it time for a replacement?

MiniDave

It is glued on, but don't try to re-attach it - the linings are baked on when they make them at the factory - new shoes are inexpensive. Peel the rubbers back on the wheel cylinders, if you see any moisture at all, replace them too. I think it's a good idea to buy the new hardware kit too. Do not use compressed air to blow out the dust, wash everything down with solvent - the particles from the shoes may have asbestos in them. Oh, and take the square adjuster out and clean it thoroughly, then lightly grease it before putting it back in. Also put a small dab of grease where the metal part of the shoes rub on the backing plate - small is the key word here......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Buy new shoes and inspect components as suggested.  Sometimes the springs need replacing. 

MiniDave

Emerald Valley is a good supplier, you could always call them and double check before you order..... I buy mine from a local source - Victoria British. They're not exactly sold for a Mini but rather a Sprite - but - same shoes. The main thing is to get the right diameter, measure the drum across it's width and make sure the shoes are for that sized drum. However I found some of the parts in the hardware kit were different than what was on my Mini.....doesn't matter if you're just buying the shoes of course.

http://victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.aspx?Page=40
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

DS1980

Good stuff, thanks fellas!

Willie_B

The springs only have one correct way to go, but several ways they will fit. The photo did not show as god as I hoped it would.

DS1980

Thanks Willie, that was what I needed.
Text is hard to read but a picture is worth 1000 words eh?