Petrol choices

Started by Jims5543, April 17, 2014, 11:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

If you could choose between Rec90 or 93 with 10% ethanol which would you choose?

I started putting Rec 90 in my mini as of the last tank and will continue to.

Rec 90 is 90 octane with zero ethanol. In case you do not know.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

You can get gas without Ethanol?!?!?!

Jims5543

Yes, it is called Rec90, it is supped to be used in Boats (we are in coastal Florida) and in RV's.

You still pay road tax for it (unless it is purchased at a marina at a dock) and it is not cheap, like $4.10 a gallon. Correction, I just topped off $4.85 a gallon. Thank god it only takes 3-4 gallons to top off.   ;D

But, it is ethanol free, and I think it is worth the lower octane.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: bikewiz on April 18, 2014, 09:33:10 PM
I resorted to running 1/2 100 octane VP race gas with 93 octane pump gas (w/ethanol) it comes out to around $6 a gallon. The car loves the 100 octane, it pretty much won't run on a hot day with straight 93.

Geezum...what do you have for an engine?  This is for a non-race Mini...right?

Mudhen

Quote from: bikewiz on April 19, 2014, 05:30:42 AM
1293 276 cam 11:1 HIF44 RC40 DTM
Until this winter of major maintenance with a change to a 3 core radiator it ran hot and would ping like crazy, even with the timing retarded if I ran straight 93. I find the mix probably gives me somewhere around 96-97 octane. The car comes off the bottom better with higher octane and you can actually drive it around town. My hope is with better cooling and a change to the tuning I'll get it to work right with "cheap" gas.

71.gif

Sounds AWESOME...