A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Quote from: tsumini on November 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM
Quote from: Jims5543 on November 23, 2014, 02:57:33 PM
Good news! I fixed the yellow one, the Blue one is resisting life.

I am going to send it off for repair and see if it is worth saving.

I am excited to get my new instrument. It is what is called a Prismless Total Station, I just need a clean shot and I can measure and record objects without anyone even walking over to them. Power poles, house corners, utility boxes etc..  I am always looking for a way to streamline our process in the field so we can reduce the time we are at a job site.  I had a prismless total station stolen out of one of my work trucks years ago when the economy was starting to tank and I never replaced it.

Would that find a two section corner monuments which haven't been verified since they were set as granite stones in 1884?
That's what I was trying to find this summer in Colorado with only GLO Field Notes from original GLO survey in 1884,Google
earth and a handheld GPS. BTW I'm not as surveyor as you could probably tell.

Probably not, older corners did not have ferrous metal in them. Unless someone recovered it once before you, typically we will sink a magnet in the ground next to it so you can beep it up.

My old boss and a friend of his were really into finding original Section corners. In Florida they set lighter wood posts. In the 1800's so they are usually deteriorated to a nub by the time you recover them.  Labins is a cool website to use for corner records, if a surveyor has found a section corner they can file a location report that many times will have more current above ground reference points to measure from.

Here is a corner retracement camp article.

http://www.degrove.com/index.php/news/view/tracz_pyle_attend_fsms_sectional_retracement_camp

In Florida we have a great database to refer to for Government Land corners and benchmarks.

http://www.labins.org/

That is a cool hobby to retrace old markers. I have to dig I have a picture of an old property corner that was set back in 1890 that is on the land of a circa 1904 build Mansion near here. It is a coquina rock with a hole drilled in it and is actually referenced to in the legal description from 1890, when they measured in Chains.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I just got word I'm repositioning a plane to Pittsburg, then flying it to Boston where I was originally scheduled to end up tonight.

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

120 IPA...that'll give you that all over warmth...mmm...

Coming to Boston?  I guess they're going to be mostly rain - we're an hour north but still on the coast and over the last hour it's really picked up, even starting to stick to the roads.  Good luck with the flight.

If you're ever there more than a quick overnight come on up!  You can do some work on the 944 to pass the time...  19.gif

94touring

Yeah only 13 hours tonight.   Sometimes I get 19 there.

94touring

AcesLow

Quote from: 94touring on October 17, 2014, 10:01:55 PM
Picture of the simulator I have to deal with once a year for 2 days/8 hours.

94touring  I maintain CAE sims for Canada's Teal and Blue Airline We have three FFS level D 737 - 700's and soon a Bombardier Q400. 

94touring

Ah very cool!   I know we occasionally use the sim located in Toronto.

94touring

Tug 1 couldn't do it so tug 2 stepped in to help.

Jims5543

Jims5543

It had to be done, we had been delaying it for 2 years... we finally got the pool resurfaced, we are good for another 25-30 years. Gotta love Fiberglass pools.

2 dudes with angle grinders and 40 grit sanding discs went medieval on the pool for 2 days. I could see the cloud of white smoke rising over the house in the afternoon sun.

Then they actually re-fiberglassed the entire pool, then new gel coat on top of the fiberglass. 2 layers of glass on the walls 4 on the floor.

Here it is being refilled. No chemicals for a week. Then I am switching to a salt chlorination system.

Big big $$$ Like buy a classic mini $$  to get this done. We dreaded spending the money but knew it had to be done. Next is the roof, we figure we will need to do it in about 3-5 years. 

I just hope a hurricane does not catch us with our pants down. The roof is sound, for now, in 5 more years of brutal Florida sun? ...

94touring

Something about pants down.  I didn't catch the rest.

tsumini

Quote from: Jims5543 on November 26, 2014, 10:39:39 AM
Quote from: tsumini on November 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM
Quote from: Jims5543 on November 23, 2014, 02:57:33 PM
Good news! I fixed the yellow one, the Blue one is resisting life.

I am going to send it off for repair and see if it is worth saving.

I am excited to get my new instrument. It is what is called a Prismless Total Station, I just need a clean shot and I can measure and record objects without anyone even walking over to them. Power poles, house corners, utility boxes etc..  I am always looking for a way to streamline our process in the field so we can reduce the time we are at a job site.  I had a prismless total station stolen out of one of my work trucks years ago when the economy was starting to tank and I never replaced it.

Would that find a two section corner monuments which haven't been verified since they were set as granite stones in 1884?
That's what I was trying to find this summer in Colorado with only GLO Field Notes from original GLO survey in 1884,Google
earth and a handheld GPS. BTW I'm not as surveyor as you could probably tell.

Probably not, older corners did not have ferrous metal in them. Unless someone recovered it once before you, typically we will sink a magnet in the ground next to it so you can beep it up.

My old boss and a friend of his were really into finding original Section corners. In Florida they set lighter wood posts. In the 1800's so they are usually deteriorated to a nub by the time you recover them.  Labins is a cool website to use for corner records, if a surveyor has found a section corner they can file a location report that many times will have more current above ground reference points to measure from.

Here is a corner retracement camp article.

http://www.degrove.com/index.php/news/view/tracz_pyle_attend_fsms_sectional_retracement_camp

In Florida we have a great database to refer to for Government Land corners and benchmarks.

http://www.labins.org/

That is a cool hobby to retrace old markers. I have to dig I have a picture of an old property corner that was set back in 1890 that is on the land of a circa 1904 build Mansion near here. It is a coquina rock with a hole drilled in it and is actually referenced to in the legal description from 1890, when they measured in Chains.
Jim, thanks alot for the info. it was fascinating. Previously, I had gotten only the Cliff Notes on surveying but the labins.org references cleared up
a lot of questions and made for fzscinating reading.I should be able to understand surveys better. I noticed that your Florida GLO survey
Field Notes are available in pdf format. I had to go  to the Denver office and search through microfiche at $1.20 per page.

Actually I knew that a metal detector couldn't find a stone but but I can dream huh?

My interest is specific to a 40 acre lot as part of a cadastral land patented in 1891 and surveyed in 1949. The 1949 referenced a stone set
and marked as a quarter between sections. Now I believe this marker was either set in the wrong place or referenced as quarter monument in error.
It certainly doesn't agree with the field notes. I understand that to verify the quarter corner the section corners must physically be located or recovered.
Thus my interest in looking for them. Unfortunately Google earth and a handheld GPS just isn't good enough to pinpoint them.
Complicating this is the fact that three of four corners haven't been found (to my knowledge) since original survey in 1880 and corrected in 1884.
It turns out that the 1880 survey was one mile off and was revised in 1884.  Government Land Office Official Field Notes for these surveys differ
significantly in topology descriptions and measurements. Strangley they were both done by the same surveyor one Geo Nickel.

Anyway thanks again for your response.

Jims5543

I am not 100% sure where you are located, you may have mentioned I just do not recall nor do I have tome to dig it up.

I have read many industry articles about the surveyors of yesteryear that were paid to stake these sections of land (actually they were paid by the township or 36 square miles) and there were quite a few surveyors that were later discovered to be frauds. They created false notes in order to defraud the US government out of money for work they never performed.

Who was going to check them?  Many times the land was so far out in the middle of no where no one would go that far to check it.

There are also many other stories that confirm what you just reported, surveys off a mile, which seems huge today, but back then..... 

A handheld GPS will not offer the accuracy needed. Corner reports would be your best resource. Then playing detective a 60 year old corner report will be tough to retrace, but it can be done.

If a 1/4 corner is off, you are correct, you need to run out the section in order to determine that, in some cases sections around it may need to be run as well in order to determine error.

Also IIRC the west sections (6,7, 18, 19, 31, 31) and south sections (31-36) will receive all the error in a township and in some cases that can be a decent amount. 30-70 feet was not uncommon.

tsumini

Whoda thunk it. Got  right handed Bridge clamp with the 6 inch left handed Dia Flexhose.  They're sending LH bridge clamps.
Lawn vacuum project getting in the way of mini project. Law tractor blew a head gasket too. Leaves are almost all down.

tsumini

Quote from: Jims5543 on December 05, 2014, 12:52:34 PM
I am not 100% sure where you are located, you may have mentioned I just do not recall nor do I have tome to dig it up.

I have read many industry articles about the surveyors of yesteryear that were paid to stake these sections of land (actually they were paid by the township or 36 square miles) and there were quite a few surveyors that were later discovered to be frauds. They created false notes in order to defraud the US government out of money for work they never performed.

Who was going to check them?  Many times the land was so far out in the middle of no where no one would go that far to check it.

There are also many other stories that confirm what you just reported, surveys off a mile, which seems huge today, but back then..... 

A handheld GPS will not offer the accuracy needed. Corner reports would be your best resource. Then playing detective a 60 year old corner report will be tough to retrace, but it can be done.

If a 1/4 corner is off, you are correct, you need to run out the section in order to determine that, in some cases sections around it may need to be run as well in order to determine error.

Also IIRC the west sections (6,7, 18, 19, 31, 31) and south sections (31-36) will receive all the error in a township and in some cases that can be a decent amount. 30-70 feet was not uncommon.
Property is in Southern Colorado; Rio Grande River runs through it at 8300 feet altitude. SE corner is monument-ed and close to river.
SW corner is south of river at 9300 ft. NW and NE corners are north of river also at 9300 feet so terrain is not your afternoon stroll.

Have also heard that the surveying was less than desirable back then.  Hopefully Standard lines (1873) and Township lines (1876)
are in better shape. I found it hard to believe but the only time someone would check is to have a survey done and am finding very
few surveys of surrounding property done. Most were homesteaded in river valleys the rest became Forest Service and BLM public
lands.

Property is owned by a non-profit group which I'm involved with and literally have no money to do the required $8000 for a full survey.

North sections 1-6 collects the errors. This happens to be section 3 and has a west boundary 83.21 chains for a correction (addition)
of about 212 feet and with the northernmost quarter getting all the error about 46.5 total  Acres.

I'll keep digging but need to visit Denver again.

tsumini

Jim pool looks great. Was under the impression fiberglass pools lasted forever like a boat but makes sense that finish would deteriorate. Did they have to drill holes in the bottom to relieve the hydro static pressure so it wouldn't pop out of the ground? No sand blast huh?

Jims5543

Oops! North Sections collect error, it has been a very long time since I dealt with raw section data so I am pretty rusty.

Re: Pool, I live up on a sand ridge, I am about 40' above sea level here, which in Florida, is almost the mountains.  The pool contractor dug a test hole near the pool as deep as the pool, no water, no need to well point no need to drill relief holes in the pool.

Yes, in theory, a fiberglass pool, like a boat, will last forever. A boat is not submerged in chlorinated 24/7/365.

So, over time the gel coat wear out, and the fiberglass is exposed. Our pool was installed in 1987 so we had a nice 27 year run. We fully expect to get another 25+ years out of it.  A cement pool would have had to be refinished at least twice by now and that is not cheap either.

Joanie B

When stripping the boot hinges, my cousin gave me some boxes of vintage Lucas bulbs. Ran the photo through a filter, just for fun.

Jims5543

My car ADHD is kicking in again.....

My friend is selling his beloved E30 with a S52 swap. Which is basically a 2700 lb car with 240 HP.   If this happens I will give more details, this car is an amazing machine.

Jims5543

Saw this today in the neighborhood I was surveying in.

I was alarmed by the water level, full moon + pretty hard onshore wind + high tide  = alarming high tide.

It is about to over run the sea walls.

The dock in the foreground is usually 1-3' above the water line.

Jims5543

BTW - I like this guy I need to meet him. I am pretty sure that was a BMW Vixen behind the fence. If I ever do the motorhome thing, that is the only one I would own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vixen_%28RV%29

94touring

AcesLow

Making a new turn signal cancel cam for my mini...