A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniGene

LOL, just saw that same photo making the rounds on Instagram!

MiniGene

"In the air, no. Once in my back yard, yes. Not like a wow a flying saucer moment, but a wow a shooting star..err wait no it's not moment.  It flew around in the upper atmosphere darting around the sky for about 20 minutes."

Cool! Probably a weather balloon and swamp gas.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

BruceK

I saw this Jeep in traffic and just fell in love with this green color.   It's not BRG at all but I really like it.  The photo  doesn't really capture it.  I think it would look great on a Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah I guess so.  Seems to have a sort of a bronze metallic undertone too.  But I was a good 15 feet away so I'm not sure.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Dunno why, but this photo made me think of Dan.   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Jims5543

Visited Tallahassee a couple of weeks ago, I knew the zero point of the Florida Meridian was there somewhere and found it. Was impressed by the presentation.  I got to get my Surveyor geek on.

They created the state of Florida on the ground then made a paver surrounding with the portion of North America around Florida.

Pretty cool

https://goo.gl/maps/8pBJegBp5jn

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

In the 1850's the new State of Florida took on the task of breaking down the entire state into townships, or 6 mile squares.  Government Land Surveyors along with private Surveyors were paid to perform this task, eventually the entire state would be surveyed and markers placed at every 6 mile square corner. lighter wood posts were used, and due to their high oil content thought to last a long time.

This map shows the township and range lines running N-S and E-W.

This is more of a detail as to how he Township and Ranges work.

Today we have concrete monuments at the same points there are surveyors that work on weekends as a hobby locating and replacing the decayed 150+ year old posts with concrete monuments.

We work from these township lines and ultimately the sections (square miles) within them. I use this information all the time so to visit the zero point was a geeky cool moment for me.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

Hey, that's really cool!  Thank you!   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Since I have a new guy with me in the field, I am showing him the cool things around town he does not know about. Even though he has lived here a long time, being a surveyor we kind of see more than others.

A past costumer of mine used us when expanding her house to accommodate an aviary and housing for her pet Goliath Turtles so I took the new guy to see them since we were working right near her house.
Meet Horice and Quagmire:

Thursday, I had to do a FEMA Flood Certificate for this NY Lady who has 2, not 1 but 2, assistants that I had to deal with as well as a caretaker that MUST be present while I was at the property. He never showed up. LMAO!!

This is the house.

View from her "yard"

Sand piling up on the ground level sliding door that is the only thing stopping the elements from covering he BMW parked under the house.

View from her dock on the lagoon side, the barrier island in this area might be 200' wide from ocean to lagoon.

It is my middle bothers 25th wedding anny. I know it is silver so we decided to do something really cool for them.  I purchased a sleeve of Pure Silver Dollars, there are twenty one ounce coins in a sleeve, value as I type this is about $330. 

I like to give unique gifts for milestones, now he gets to watch precious metal values like I do.

BruceK

What!?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

John Gervais

Jim, how much does the bank charge for a silver dollar coin these days?  I haven't bought any since I graduated from OCS.  Sure are pretty...

Bruce, that's just nasty.   31.gif
- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

Looks like your boot has a nasty hemorrhoid  :-\
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Bahowe1

It was a serious problem - figuring out how to keep the CRX wheels on the ground... until the classic triple spoiler came out. 

gr8kornholio

So this happened today  62.gif

Bought the wife her dream car today.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

I really love these Camaro's, I was next to one a couple of years ago at a red light, I think it was a SS.

It had  some really wide tires, lowered, and a really loud exhaust, it sounded like it wanted to rip apart every car around it.

Some day...

How is the view from the drivers seat?  I am not a fan of all these high waistline cars now.  It was one of the reasons we got rid of our RX8 and purchased an E30 BMW.

Good luck with it!!

gr8kornholio

The high waistline is a little odd. The sunroof helps with the cave feeling. The visibility isn't horrible but I haven't driven it yet. Wife loves it and she's getting used to it. She liked the v8 but had to choose between the fancy edition or the fast edition. She's not a real go super fast person so she went with the fancy.  Of course 0-60 in 5 seconds isn't exactly slow.  It also appears pro charger is developing it's super charger kit for it  4.gif

MiniGene

Sweet car!  Man, a brand new Camaro with a Big Gulp in the center console!  I can't wait to get back to 'Murica, boys! 

Before we moved to the UK our weekend pastime was to go to 7-11, grab a snack and a drink and cruise Colfax Ave from the east end to the west end in Denver.  I'm looking forward to finding a new cruising street when we get back this summer. 

BruceK

Nice car!  Should be a blast.   Still keeping the Toyota?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S