A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Yeah occasionally you run into the 5 percent that are full of themselves and impossible to get along with.   The few times we have a non pilot up front observing we're pretty excited to show them anything they're interested in.   

Jims5543

My older son is in town for a few days while we sort out his E30. Right now I am being a checkbook mechanic, it is in a local indy shop having the messy stuff dealt with, power steering hose replacement, tranny and rear dif fluid change, as well as some in tie rod ends replaced and re-aligned.

This weekend we tackle all the little things and then detail it up real nice, apartment life is not doing this car any solids.

Here is the older guy and my 11 y/o the older teaching the fine art of Halo to the younger one.

After putting down our Choc lab the house has been empty (and I am not complaining at all) without a animal around. My son brought his Whippit mutt puppy with him. Dr. Gonzo is his name and he is an awesome dog. Chilling out here behind my son.

Dr. Gonzo is pooped out from a day of running errands, and playing Frisbee in the back yard.  I thought he looked funny here.

While I miss owning a dog, I do not miss the work, it is so nice to decide to take off for a day or weekend last minute and not have to worry about the dog, also we noticed our mornings are more hectic as we have to let the dog out (supervised since we are not sure the bobcat is gone) and clean up after him in the yard.

My work station for the evening.  Putting in my last 3 hours on this 12 hour day.

Had to show my support for Jules Bianchi, I hope he recovers, I was in shock when I saw his accident on you tube. F1 would not broadcast it so I had no idea what happened. I could only read the sickened faces of the other drivers after the race to know it was bad.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

I picked up another watch. It is a SLOW watch. Swiss made and really neat. 1 hand and 24 hours in one sweep.   

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Cool watch.  I would definitely be collecting watches if I had 2 nickles to rub together...have a TAG I got years ago but would love a Breitling.  Maybe some day.

Bought my older boys gift cards for go-karting...for Christmas... ::)  Finally got them up to the track to go to the class and get their licenses.  I was pretty scared that the little guy (9) would do something really horrible like put his foot to the floor and crash through a tire barrier, but he did awesome - both passed the class and did amazingly well building speed up over the races.

Here's the 9yo getting schooled about not using both pedals at the same time:

He only got approved for 'friends-and-family' races because he had a hard time keeping to the race line and getting back up to speed after cautions - so they don't want him running with the general population yet - but the race he did after the class he was right up to speed.  Notice the #1 spot is open - I'm old but still faster than the goons for now (the 12yo is only 2 sec off my pace, though, and I was 2 sec off the top lap time at the track):

Now I want to buy a kart again... 50.gif

94touring

MtyMous

If I don't lock it in place, can I have as much fun as the guy in the picture? Because he looks like he's having a blast.

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on November 10, 2014, 05:51:08 AM
Cool watch.  I would definitely be collecting watches if I had 2 nickles to rub together...have a TAG I got years ago but would love a Breitling.  Maybe some day.

Bought my older boys gift cards for go-karting...for Christmas... ::)  Finally got them up to the track to go to the class and get their licenses.  I was pretty scared that the little guy (9) would do something really horrible like put his foot to the floor and crash through a tire barrier, but he did awesome - both passed the class and did amazingly well building speed up over the races.

Here's the 9yo getting schooled about not using both pedals at the same time:

He only got approved for 'friends-and-family' races because he had a hard time keeping to the race line and getting back up to speed after cautions - so they don't want him running with the general population yet - but the race he did after the class he was right up to speed.  Notice the #1 spot is open - I'm old but still faster than the goons for now (the 12yo is only 2 sec off my pace, though, and I was 2 sec off the top lap time at the track):

Now I want to buy a kart again... 50.gif

Are those electric karts of gas?

Really cool, my little guy did a karting camp last winter and is getting ready to go again soon. I also purchased some discounted passes of Amazon Local, got 4 sessions for the price of 2.

9 is a tad young "they" say 10 is a great starting age, of course there is always the exception.  My younger one is 11 now and I feel me matures a lot this last year so I feel he is better prepared to Kart now.

It is very handy, my old boy is 21 now and Karting was huge is developing his car control. He was a natural behind the wheel of his car when he started driving.  His only complaint was the squishy suspension and vague steering compared to a Kart. LOL!

It is great you are going that with the boys, great family fun and good bonding.

Nice job dad!

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on November 14, 2014, 04:48:00 AM
His only complaint was the squishy suspension and vague steering compared to a Kart. LOL!

LOL...love it.   4.gif

They're gas karts - not sure what size, think they said 5hp.  When I was looking for one last spring I had a hard time deciphering the hp/cc thing - 5hp, that about a 50cc?  I was thinking we'd want an 80cc so the 12yo would be ok with it and the 9yo would grow into it...but sometimes they'd list by HP instead.

Anyway, no karts for us for awhile so the point is moot now - will have to hit this indoor place when we need a fix...

94touring

MtyMous

Ah... pig in a hat... That's  2 points, my friend. But it's not a pig in a hat strumming a banjo, though. haha

94touring

tsumini

Cheating a little with a pic from my vintage ca. 1993 iphone. Pic taken at a fishing lodge I frequent outside Ketchikan Alaska.
My favorite airplane. This belonged to Teufel Nursery Portland OR. I think he still has it. He also has a Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6-27 Powered Goose. It's like a little rocket ship. Cruises at 20,000 feet; since cabin is not pressurized he uses O2 from a bottle.

Jims5543

This is what $1500 of scrap plastic and metal looks like:

Two metal detectors that I have been soldering, taping and gluing back together for years now. After a couple of hours of screwing with two of them today I am giving up. I just bought one new one and already have another i purchased 2 years ago as a backup. What upsets me is that they were abused back when i had crews. Sonce 2008 after I downsized and started working on the field again, the first thing I noticed was that equipment never broke anymore. What was once a time of replacing something every month to never having to replace anything for years .... well I rewarded myself with a new to me (used) surveying instrument that uses a laser to measure distances. The instrument I have now needs a prism to measure. This new one will pay for itself in time savings in the first year.

94touring

I've been out of surveying so long I forgot about using metal detectors!

Jims5543

Good news! I fixed the yellow one, the Blue one is resisting life.

I am going to send it off for repair and see if it is worth saving.

I am excited to get my new instrument. It is what is called a Prismless Total Station, I just need a clean shot and I can measure and record objects without anyone even walking over to them. Power poles, house corners, utility boxes etc..  I am always looking for a way to streamline our process in the field so we can reduce the time we are at a job site.  I had a prismless total station stolen out of one of my work trucks years ago when the economy was starting to tank and I never replaced it. 

94touring

It uses lasers right?  I remember using one of the first ones made.

The fd is my current daily driver.   Nothing like rwd and 400+ hp to the wheels on icey roads.

MtyMous

I've got about 370hp to the wheels... in a pickup. Talk about feathering throttle. Haha I have anything and everything I can over the wheels. Currently have a 200lb log splitter over the axle. Seems to work well.

tsumini

Quote from: Jims5543 on November 23, 2014, 02:57:33 PM
Good news! I fixed the yellow one, the Blue one is resisting life.

I am going to send it off for repair and see if it is worth saving.

I am excited to get my new instrument. It is what is called a Prismless Total Station, I just need a clean shot and I can measure and record objects without anyone even walking over to them. Power poles, house corners, utility boxes etc..  I am always looking for a way to streamline our process in the field so we can reduce the time we are at a job site.  I had a prismless total station stolen out of one of my work trucks years ago when the economy was starting to tank and I never replaced it.

Would that find a two section corner monuments which haven't been verified since they were set as granite stones in 1884?
That's what I was trying to find this summer in Colorado with only GLO Field Notes from original GLO survey in 1884,Google
earth and a handheld GPS. BTW I'm not as surveyor as you could probably tell.

Mudhen

Snapped at the MINI dealer the other day while getting my wife's '09 JCWs fuel pump replaced (under warranty - 10yr/120k on the pump!).

And stopped on my way home at the Jag dealer for a oil filter for the Rover...man I need one of these.

94touring

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on November 24, 2014, 05:46:46 PM
Snapped at the MINI dealer the other day while getting my wife's '09 JCWs fuel pump replaced (under warranty - 10yr/120k on the pump!).

And stopped on my way home at the Jag dealer for a oil filter for the Rover...man I need one of these.

The Type F makes me have bad thoughts..... and makes my pants tight.

94touring

This is a good thing for me.  I do nothing and still get paid.

Jims5543

Stuck in Philly?

Could be worse I guess.

I am at the ass end of your cold front. That is cancelling your flights.

Heat index here 2 days ago was 100° not kidding, we hit 91 on the thermostat.  High today happened at 7 this morning I think it was 75 degrees. Tonight 49 and tomorrow 71.

Everybody enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow.  I am doing it white trash style tomorrow @ the sis in laws house. Rednecks, Pit Bulls, and all kinds of interesting people. Should be fun. I decided to leave my good bear home and pick up a 18 pack of PBR.

Speaking of Beer, I scored 2 of these yesterday. I had to beg to buy two of them since there was a rule, 1 per customer.  They are tucked away in the cooler aging now, sometime in the spring I will enjoy them with my car buddy that I take my Dragon trips with.

I also bought this off of a guy that was selling his house and I was surveying it. I thought it looked cool, got it for $20 then did some research on it. Turns out it is an old school train signal light. It weighs about 40 lbs and has a slot on the back where you can mount it on a post. We are still trying to determine how old it is, we know it is formally called a Railroad Semaphore Lamp.