Electrolysis

Started by wevebeenhad, May 02, 2013, 07:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wevebeenhad

So, i have seen peoples posts on electrolysis on on mainly subframes and small bits. Has anyone tried the whole mini?!

Im not saying like submerge your car in a swimming pool and have at it, but, im assuming the bits that are not submerged simply are just not affected by the work. If you built a complex apparatus, perhaps a rotisserie that was adjustable with height or just sat the floor into a custom built mini pool. Then rotated, and used rotisserie for the top or sides extra support.

This would work right?! I know it would be a extremely time consuming endeavor but who knows could be fun to try.

Also I understand the whole electricity and conduction through water and what not, but can someone elaborate a bit on the set up and any solution to put in the water etc.

thanks
josh

wevebeenhad

ok so i researched the good ol' fashioned way. Youtube. haha. Some of you thought i was going to say library didnt you!! Im not that old (sorry old guys) Here are my questions

Baking soda solution best?

is slow going with a trickle charger the way to go, or can you just ramp it up! with more power?

94touring

I think sending the car to the media blaster would be the best option there, lol.  The couple times I did it I used baking soda and water with a battery charger set to high I believe.   

jedduh01

Electrolsys -- I love it!  Set a part up - Make sure its right - I'm at work all day - Come home - part is clean! - 

Scrub - Dry -  Paint.  - Control arms - backing plates- hubs - all done!

Sand blasting is MUCH faster but consumes more engery= dirtier for your shop space noisy and takes all the time to actually physically work ever surface area. Simply requires more equipment...

For large parts Electrolsys is good for leave it and forget it.

Dont try it on aluminum  and copper (will eat it away ) - this is good for just STEEL or cast iron only. (they say Brass isnt affected - but I didn't do much to my Brass insert in the rear control arm.

Small parts can take as little as 2 -3 hours .  Larger parts will take longer - My gas tank took solid 4 days - Moving it around .  putting the anodes ( rebar ) in different places for more "line of sight" treatment - including inside too.

Washing soda is the preferred adder to the water.... There is a difference between baking and washing soda - Box of washing soda from your grocery store 3.50 $ -  Small box of baking soda : .83Cents.. so eh . I got the right stuff.

was reading last night-  if you use GRAPHITE rods -  Found on ebay as your ANODE  --- the water doen't turn RUST colored. your part will be cleaner- and solution cleaner...

Been doing a bunch of parts now for weeks - fine tuning my strategy - Small parts - 5 Gallon Bucket- - Larger in a Rubbermaid Storage Bin... Finally the wood frame with 2 layers of tarp to hold water for my Subframe.  I flipped my sub frame last night - and WOW...  Another day or two just because its easy, moving my anodes around  (old brake rotors)  - i think it will be complete.  I will post up pictures...

While its going -- you can watch the amps on your charger work- more amps- its doing its thing- as the amps drop off, its loosing its need to do more.   4-5 amps average on my nasty sub frame... the water kinda moves on its own the whole time its stewing.

As far as - more juice, more amps faster--- there is an issue called Hydrogen embrittlement  --- this is where people allow this process to go slower ... read up on that- Slow is better- reduces leftover pitting on parts and can damage metal  less.

ALOT of good pointers online .. here's a guy that DID do a car- but he had the "tomato Bin" that would hold it . 

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787203

Another good site  - for general information on the general process....

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/miscellaneous/rust_removal.htm

and another read - http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

- 94 had his post up about his subframe  too - Ill post the same!  and update as it comes out!

wevebeenhad

Cool stuff, some good insight. Im all about learning new fun things and tricks, I wouldnt mind trying it. My rear subframe could use it. That is if i get the job i want so i dont have to sell the vtec mini. fingers crossed

wevebeenhad

well how about dry ice blasting? Has anyone tried that? ive heard its relatively easy cleanup. and works a lot better due to the dry ice sublimating and expanding back into a gas upon impact.