Electric a/c for Minis

Started by MPlayle, Today at 10:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MPlayle

Starting a separate thread to discuss/track this.

Quote from: MiniDave on Today at 08:54:06 AMPost up what you find on the A/C, in fact we should start a thread on just that as I'm looking into it too for my hot rod Mini.

I had a guy bring an electric compressor over yesterday so I could see how big and heavy it was, and where I might mount it. My understanding is that they all draw about 50 amps on start up then run at about 30, so you'll need a healthy alternator to keep up - fortunately the one on the hot rod is 150 amp, so I'm good there.

I'm not sure but I think you can get one with a heat strip in the evaporator assembly too, which I would love - instant heat and defrost!

My thinking is to mount the compressor right up on the bulkhead so the hoses will be shorter, then I just have to supply power from the back. It was interesting on this compressor that the inlet and outlet for the hoses were on opposite ends of it. I already have the condenser but I still need to figure out the mounting, hose runs etc. I was thinking I would like to make hard lines for almost all of it, just a short run of rubber hose off the compressor. The one he brought also had rubber mounting "feet", and I would have to make a bracket to support it up on the bulkhead..

Not sure what size cable I'll need, the wires that went from the inverter/controller on this one only looked to be about 10 gauge. Seems like it would need to be bigger than that to supply 50 amps. Not sure on that yet. Lots to learn!

I am still researching the topic.  A while back, another Mini related friend sent me an article where a UK outfit had installed a setup into a classic Mini destined for Singapore.  I have been consulting with them and some of their sources - in particular for a high output alternator that will fit our Minis.  I am still waiting on feedback regarding the alternators.

Most of the kits I have found recommend an alternator putting out at least 120 amps at idle/low rpms.  I did a quick consult with one of the kit suppliers in the US (Miami, Florida based) and they can supply with a variety of condensor sizes (I am considering the 12"x14" for tucked into the rear subframe) and a variety of evaporators (both "cool only" and "heat/cool").  I have a couple of models under consideration that are 14.5" wide, 12.5" deep, and 6" tall.

It sounds like the compressor you have test fit is the typical one now being used.  They are often listed as being dual-scroll type.

1983 Mini Panel Van
2024 Subaru Crosstrek