Electronic Kill Switch

Started by tmsmini, July 15, 2023, 10:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Anyone have experience with electronic kill switches?
I see them on Amazon from 20 bucks to 400.

I need something for our Yukon. It was attempted to be stolen over a year ago, but our neighbors interrupted the act. A couple of weeks ago it was actually taken. We got it back, but I would like to add a kill switch, some thing like a relay that stops the fuel pump or ignition. Something my wife can use easily and reliably.

94touring

I've used one on an rx7 located under the seat.  My bus has one technically too, but it's just a twist knob off the battery ground wire. I use it occasionally depending where I'm at. Works great for disconnecting power to work on electronics.

tmsmini

As it is an older vehicle, it is going to take some time to get the parts needed. But a door lock, ignition switch and cut steering wheel totaled the vehicle. We will buy it back.

Right now I am removing the fuse for the fuel pump and the power module(whatever that is) as the door and ignition are screwdriver start.

I need something that does not cut the power completely as that loses radio setting, seat settings and other items sored in volatile memory.

Willie_B

If it has a fuel pump relay you could splice into the wire that provides the 12vdc to operate the relay and run that thru any kind of switch. You could do the same thing with the fuse. On my sons Jeep he was not using the factory cig lighter so I took it apart and installed a push button switch inside it. Then when you push on the lighter that pushes the switch. We then had an LED light under the dash that came on when the switch was ON.

MiniDave

I also used a fuel pump kill switch on my Jag as a safety against theft......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I hate to say it, but I don't even know where the fuel pump is on a Yukon. I guess in the tank. The fuse I pull also controls the power module and I am not sure what all that controls. I am thinking it might make sense to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

cstudep

Not sure what year your Yukon is but on the 2001 model I used to have it was in the tank (like most are these days) basically directly under the rear seat on the driver side. I had to replace the fuel pump in ours and created an access panel under the rear seat to do it. Why they could not do something like this from the factory like many European cars do is beyond me, It's bound to fail at some point in the life of the vehicle and your solution is to "drop the tank" to get to it. Probably seems like a good idea to someone that has never had to do it I suppose.

Took me about 20 min to pull the seat, fold back the carpet and cut the hole. About another 20 min to swap the pump out. It would have taken me longer than that to break off the rusty bolts holding the tank in, and then I would have to figure out a way to hold it back in place since the broken bolts are rust welded into the frame. :rolleyes: